BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bring Back Gally

PAFELL

I don't know why people are taking it out on Andrews. At times he's played well for us. Just because Ince signed him doesn't mean he has to take peoples abuse. Not so long ago, people were saying how pleasantly surprised they were by him, now Ince is in the firing line, Andrews is getting lots of heat for doing nothing wrong but live the dream of playing top flight football.

I have nothing against Andrews, honest to God. I'm more angry towards Ince for signing him. However, I still want my team to prosper in this league with players of the right calibre. Sadly, Andrews isn't one of them, and the writing was on the wall before Ince even signed him!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right. I wouldn't have signed Andrews and I doubt any other manager would have done but the way I see it, he's a Rover now and he has shown he wants to be at the club and will fight for a first team place. I'm just fed up of so called fans giving him s*** just because he got signed by Ince. It isn't fair.

Anyway, sorry Admin. I won't take this off topic anymore!

Back to talking about Gallagher!!

I think some have misunderstood what I was trying to say with regards to Gally. Ince brought Fowler to Rovers - yet on current form Gally is far better than Fowler. Fowler is doing nowt but pick up a good wage for doing nowt. Yes gally may well be playing a league below but is showing that if he is given a decent run in a team that he can produce the goods. How often have we all said that often, the better football games and often the harder games are in the lower divisions.

But if we had to have a vote if you were in Ince's position, what would you have done if you only had two chioces, kept Gally or brought in Fowler. surely one is finished and the other is still developing as a player, even Hughes says that Gally had a lot of talent. Maybe the manager of Plymouth believes and therefore has built up gally's confidence to produce his curent form.

What I was trying to say when i started this thread is that it is evidence that Ince has no idea what he is doing. He got rid of potential to bring in a hasbeen.

i much prefer this guy then that joke of a player called robbie fowler..

if paul ince was going to take a gamble on a proven goalscorer for cheap why didnt he go for kevin phillips or something-instead he gets this lazy waste of space..

as for gallagher-the guy has talent-but attacking wise i dont think theres much a problem-its defensivly where the troubles are..

i much prefer this guy then that joke of a player called robbie fowler..

if paul ince was going to take a gamble on a proven goalscorer for cheap why didnt he go for kevin phillips or something-instead he gets this lazy waste of space..

as for gallagher-the guy has talent-but attacking wise i dont think theres much a problem-its defensivly where the troubles are..

I cannot help thinking that the players are trying to tell us all something - they do not like Ince.

They came back from 2 down to level at 2-2 at pompey, they scored 3 against Utd reserves tonight. It is as though the players are saying we can play better than we are doing, but we are doing what the manager is asking of us. They could, yet didnt score a hat full against sunderland in the first half. So there is hope in the current team if a decent person guides them.

I saw him play last night playing against Birmingham, he was easily the best player on the pitch and would be a great partner for a motivated Santa Cruz, Rory Fallon his strike partner was winning everything in the air and Gally was beating them easily on the floor. From what I saw and from what the guy next to me was saying, he's been superb for Argyle.

re: Andrews - fair enough he hasn't been great but he has been no worse than a lot of our players at present. With Grellam Reid and Dunn out in a way we are lucky to have him as we have no one else who can play that role. Average player but not bad.

re: Gallagher - I think he has all the technical ingredients to be a good premiership second striker. Great passer, good football brain, decent movement, very good finishing. His problem has always been his lack of physical attributes (pace, height, strength) and a lack of determination and work rate. When people have watched him at Argyle have they felt this has changed? From what i have warched of him I am not sure he would work harder or impose himself more than Fowler does.

When i said all this I basically got accused of shagging gally...but I cant understand why ince got fowler and let gally go and i hand on heart think gally would of contributed more than fowler(its not hard tho ids it?) and more than derbs on the wide spot.

I wonder if Gally just needed to be away for a time to do some growing up and gain some confidence enough to start showing what he can do. If he is starring in the Championship as a second striker then he can't be much worse than what we've got right now.

Are we tied to the loan until Summer?

We can call him back if January, so, hopefully Fowler will be gone and Gally back.

I do agree that he can't be much worse than Fowler but personally I can't see how he will be much better either unless we sign someone who can do the leg work for him - either a pacy striker or a target man both of whom could stretch the opposition back line. To my mind a combination of Gallagher with any of our existing strikers will just involve the opposition nullifying the threat by moving their back line up the pitch because we can't get behind them.

To be brutally honest we need to sign a partner for Cruz who is going to cause the opposition serious problems in a different way. Bringing Gallagher back is not going to do that. His kind of role is already covered by two players who are much more talented than he is - McCarthy and Villaneuva. If we lose Cruz we should be looking to buy two strikers - a pacy player who can run the channels and a big powerful target man with an ability to win things in the air and hold up the ball on the ground. It is all about options.

It's always a sign of bad times when the "bring Gally back" threads start popping up. He's the same Gally that no-one thought was good enough a couple of months ago.

It's not Gally that's got better, it's.........

You probably have a good point there Den - I think it's a case of a few of us hoping that both apply.

There's no doubt he'd playing better on this loan spell than he has on any other.

You beat me Stu you scoundrel you.

Listen guys, I am a football man through and through, but even I at the ripe old age of 42 and with 2 dodgy knees can play just as good as Andrews. I might not be able to run box to box but by god I can pass, shoot and score.

Gally doesnt have to score goals, he can be the link man setting them up because we have seen that he can create chances for other players.

What i've heard about Gally is hes too weak and timid on the pitch, lacks courage and can bottle out of a challenge, plus he lacks that key commodity pace, yet is blessed with a very high level of skill especially when it comes to putting the ball in the net.

Its a pity he doesnt tick more boxes then he would definitely be in the first team squad you cant fault the club for giving him time to mature they have showed Gally more patience than probably any other footballer other than Mat Jansen.

You probably have a good point there Den - I think it's a case of a few of us hoping that both apply.

There's no doubt he'd playing better on this loan spell than he has on any other.

Even than when he was tearing it up at Stoke? He did a great job for them, came back and was rubbish again!

That said you could argue is he any worse than the likes of Treacy, Olsson, and Fowler.... And he is a creative player which is a bit of a bonus considering how few (5? Tugay, Cruz, McCarthy, Dunn and Carlos?) of those we have around.

Even than when he was tearing it up at Stoke? He did a great job for them, came back and was rubbish again!

That said you could argue is he any worse than the likes of Treacy, Olsson, and Fowler.... And he is a creative player which is a bit of a bonus considering how few (5? Tugay, Cruz, McCarthy, Dunn and Carlos?) of those we have around.

The reason I think it's different is Gally was playing out of position at Stoke. This is the first time he's gone anywhere, played as a striker and been successful.

EDIT: Just reading ADBs post - am I totally wrong in thinking he's playing up front at Plymouth?

I am hoping Gally is developing in to that Sheringham esque player that I have no doubt he has the ability to become. I cannot see the point of him being on the wing (if he is) even if his crosses are good - he's capable of so much more than that.

I am hoping Gally is developing in to that Sheringham esque player that I have no doubt he has the ability to become. I cannot see the point of him being on the wing (if he is) even if his crosses are good - he's capable of so much more than that.

The point of him being on the wing is that we don't have one and he probably wouldn't get a game as a striker.

We already play Derbyshire out of position on the wing and that doesn't work either. I sincerely hope we address that in January rather than continually trying to plug that round hole with a square peg.

Gally wouldn't start, but he's certainly more worthy of a place on the bench than Fowler, and probably Roberts too.

Gally has a free role at Plymouth, or in the harder games plays in the hole, so Cornwall's right. Sturrock raves about the boy, he's well impressed. The fans love him, and he is playing well.

However the point raised about his time at Stoke is a valid one. he did well there too. Plymouth are not the wealthiest club in the world, but had a buy in from Japanese investors last year, so maybe able to raise the dollar for him. But wages are a big issue at the club I doubt they could afford him Hayles - 6K and now Mpenza 8-10K are the highest paid players in the clubs history, what would Gally want?

When is the boys lucrative contract up? If its in the summer we should try and sell him, although part of me reckons he can still improve. If we can get a seven figure sum we should cut him loose. Pity I had high hopes for him a few years back, one day my country will produce someone who knows where the goal is!

Again one has to ask about Gally, is he a premiership player? Whenever ive seen him play, he struggles to make his presence felt and drifts out of the game. He has talent,but he needs to up his game more.

Archived