BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bring Back Gally

PAFELL

Was it only two and a half years ago that Sparky put out a "strange" team away at Goodison in the FA Cup? Everyone was whinging bitterly.

Gallagher and Derbyshire proceeded to destroy Everton by themselves.

Now one has left and the other is being castigated as not good enough by the fans.

Local and other youngsters who came through the ranks and, in my opinion, WERE good enough are:-

Dunn, Duff, Taylor, Beattie, Johnson, Gallagher and Derbyshire.

I would like to have seen most of these stay at this homely club.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it a question of attitude with Mr. Gallagher though? That is as vital as natural talent if a player is to succeed. Any player has got to have the drive to succeed and to improve if he is to make it in any top division, and I am not sure Gallagher has that. In some ways he may be like Le Tissier-talent but no desire to be the best. That is not to say Gallagher has anywhere near the natural skill of Le Tissier.

Was it only two and a half years ago that Sparky put out a "strange" team away at Goodison in the FA Cup? Everyone was whinging bitterly.

Now one has left and the other is being castigated as not good enough by the fans.

Local and other youngsters who came through the ranks and, in my opinion, WERE good enough are:-

Sorry Bazza but I can't agree with that. Taylor, Gallagher and Derbyshire will never be good enough to start in the Premiership. (Except perhaps for Burnley.)

Isn't it a question of attitude with Mr. Gallagher though?

That seems to be the general belief on here Billy. I don't particularly go along with that though. He's too slow by far and doesn't have the stamina to get up and down. On top of that he's fairly weak physically. He might not have that fire in his belly that others have alluded to, but there is more to it than that.

We'd have all liked these players to have stayed and be successful but other than Beattie (who ended up contributing to our relegation) you can't really argue with the circumstances in which they left the club:

Dunn - Amazing potential but threw a strop because he couldn't oust Flitty and Tugay in the middle of the park and Souness wanted him on the right. We also got over 5 mill for him and he's been on the treatment table more often than not since

Duff - Ridiculouss transfer clause only broken due to the arrival of Roman at Chelsea

Taylor - Looked the part and given long enough in the team to prove himself but after star displays against Van Nistelrooy, he couldn't cut it against Dion Dublin.

Johnson - Tidy but nothing more and we were a top ten team when he left us. Became a workhorse midfielder at Brum and not a particularly good one at that.

Gallagher - We've still got him. Looked a shining light in his first season but that was 6 years ago! Not set the world on fire anywhere he's been on loan either. Now, once again, it's up to him.

Derbs - I like him. Has been a great impact sub but he wants more and we can't give it to him. He would probably look much better in a top 6 prem team than he would in ours but that's the Premiership for you. This is why he'll be a success abroad in a much less physical league. On that basis, 3 mill is difficult to turn down.

With Tugay gone now, has Paul Gallagher been at our club longer than any other first team (I use that term loosely) player?

Yes...made his debut in 2001/2002 I think.

After him there is Brett Emerton who signed a few weeks before Steven Reid in the summer of 2003.

all those who say he has bad attitude and needs to knuckle down,you know this how? are you privy to brockhall ,his private lifeor wherever hes been in traing /playing at? do you know inside his head to say these things?

GO GALLY PROVE EM WRONG!!

all those who say he has bad attitude and needs to knuckle down,you know this how? are you privy to brockhall ,his private lifeor wherever hes been in traing /playing at? do you know inside his head to say these things?

He's got loads of talent, enough, I'd reckon, to be a Premiership player. The fact that he isn't, at the age of 24, suggests that something has gone wrong somewhere.

Abs, I don't think anyone wants to see him fail. But on the evidence of the past 5-6 years of his career he's hardly shown the desire to push on from being the promising talent that he was.

It amuses me that people think Gally should be written off completely. He is one of the best natural finishers we've had but he lacks motivation. Sam has a record of reviving careers on a downward spiral and Gally is one of those. It's worth it for Rovers and Gally to have another crack at it and to give Sam the chance to get Gally playing the way I think most of us think he can. If Gally does pull his socks up, a big if, then we have a quality player and it will be like a new signing. Worth a gamble for me.

It amuses me that people think Gally should be written off completely. He is one of the best natural finishers we've had but he lacks motivation. Sam has a record of reviving careers on a downward spiral and Gally is one of those. It's worth it for Rovers and Gally to have another crack at it and to give Sam the chance to get Gally playing the way I think most of us think he can. If Gally does pull his socks up, a big if, then we have a quality player and it will be like a new signing. Worth a gamble for me.

What makes you think BFS has miracle motivational powers that both Souness and Hughes lacked?

Both of them worked hard trying to get Gally to max out his potential, and neither really managed.

I think the person that is the player is the problem - not the team coaching and managing the player.

What makes you think BFS has miracle motivational powers that both Souness and Hughes lacked?

Both of them worked hard trying to get Gally to max out his potential, and neither really managed.

I think the person that is the player is the problem - not the team coaching and managing the player.

I don't think anything of the sort. I think it's worth giving Sam a chance to get Gally playing like he can. That's it.

Rovers now have a sports psychologist, I think Sam will play this has the last throw of the dice, yet if he succeeds, we really have a player, its all mental with Gally and I do believe Sam has seen that and wants to try.

Points to consider here, Gally has a fantastic technique, can finish, can pick a pass and is a great crosser of the ball!!

Where would I play him?

In the hole behind striker.

Rovers now have a sports psychologist, I think Sam will play this has the last throw of the dice, yet if he succeeds, we really have a player, its all mental with Gally and I do believe Sam has seen that and wants to try.

Points to consider here, Gally has a fantastic technique, can finish, can pick a pass and is a great crosser of the ball!!

Where would I play him?

In the hole behind striker.

mental problems? how do you come to this conclusion? do you know him because to say its mental you would have to know him to get in his head,unless your a trained psychologist of course.

mental problems? how do you come to this conclusion? do you know him because to say its mental you would have to know him to get in his head,unless your a trained psychologist of course.

I think most on here are of the opinion that Gallagher has the ability, so if he isn't an ale can and dosn't have psychological issues what are your suggestions as to why the lad hasn't made it?

Not having a pop, genuinely interested.

• Backroom

I remember one testimonial I think maybe the Tony Parkes game, Gallys finishing was suoerb to be fair, I think he scored a beauty from distance.

He just seems to flatter to decieve in real games

I remember one testimonial I think maybe the Tony Parkes game, Gallys finishing was suoerb to be fair, I think he scored a beauty from distance.

He just seems to flatter to decieve in real games

I remember that as well. It was very impressive. You then think that we have the real deal. But in between the flashes of brilliance are long periods of nonentity

I remember that as well. It was very impressive. You then think that we have the real deal. But in between the flashes of brilliance are long periods of nonentity

So, if he has the technique and has the ability, then its his mentality, if that can be addressed, then we could have a player, if it cant, then he falls by the wayside but Sam is big in sports sciences and psychology plays a big part in Sams plans, remember, he brought one in last year just after Sam came and the mentality was different throughout the team!!

Remember, good management is putting the right people around you, Sam does that, unlike someone I could mention :wacko:

Archived