BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes Not Going With Youth? = Not Good Enough

We've had this discussion a million times before.

You can't "produce" a player, you have to get hold of the best youngsters. How many youth team players break into the prem and make a Premier league career for themselves, in one season? What's the avarage? I suggest, not many. That's because clubs can't "make" a top class player. The lads that make the step into the Prem are invariably the best lads in the country, throughout their Academy schooling.

To have any chance of bringing through a youngster nowadays, in this league, you must attract the top young lads in the country, if not Europe. Something we simply don't have the profile for, to compete for these lads. The lads I'm talking about are hunted by the big guns from a very young age.

We've had this discussion a million times before.

You can't "produce" a player, you have to get hold of the best youngsters. How many youth team players break into the prem and make a Premier league career for themselves, in one season? What's the avarage? I suggest, not many. That's because clubs can't "make" a top class player. The lads that make the step into the Prem are invariably the best lads in the country, throughout their Academy schooling.

To have any chance of bringing through a youngster nowadays, in this league, you must attract the top young lads in the country, if not Europe. Something we simply don't have the profile for, to compete for these lads. The lads I'm talking about are hunted by the big guns from a very young age.

Conversely, Den, the wrong youth system can break a quality player.

My mates son who lived a stones throw from Ewood was offered a place by Liverpool, Rovers and Burnley.Despite being Rovers fans ,they opted for Burnley above Rovers. Says it all really.

Says more about his parents imo. <_<

Not really, if he didn't go straight away to a Premier League team then he *should* get more chances to shine in the first team at Burnley therefore increasing his chances of going to a better and bigger club.

As DROG said, youth policies are for lower league teams.

I thank you neekoy.

Absolutely American. I don't think that's happened at Brockhall though - do you?

It's one of those things you never will know. If they weren't going to be good enough, then they are playing up to potential. If they have been "broken" then they are playing at the same level they would have if they weren't good enough.

What I have seen is when we have a player who is tapped at an early age to be a star (Danns (I think - wasn't he captain of one of the England youth squads?) and Garner are who come to mind), they never fulfill that promise. Were they overhyped, or undercoached? No one will ever know.

Archived