BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mobile Phone Problems

My Sony Ericsson Walkman has decided to die on me :(

It just won't switch on or do anything so I removed my sim card and put it into another mobile only to realise all my numbers, texts etc are saved to the phone memory and not the sim.

Is there anyway I can retrieve any of this info? Obviously the numbers are important but some of the texts and images hold an awful lot of sentimental value to me also.

I've also ordered a new phone, the Sony Erricsson K850i cybershot. I've seen the video promotions and read some reviews and they all say the camera is superb but the keypad is a bit fiddly and overall a decent phone. Has anyone got one?

My Sony Ericsson Walkman has decided to die on me :(

It just won't switch on or do anything so I removed my sim card and put it into another mobile only to realise all my numbers, texts etc are saved to the phone memory and not the sim.

Is there anyway I can retrieve any of this info? Obviously the numbers are important but some of the texts and images hold an awful lot of sentimental value to me also.

I've also ordered a new phone, the Sony Erricsson K850i cybershot. I've seen the video promotions and read some reviews and they all say the camera is superb but the keypad is a bit fiddly and overall a decent phone. Has anyone got one?

If you can't switch it on then you're fairly well buggered. Have you tried a new battery?

Decent phone the k850i, if you know how to use the camera and once you get used to the keypad :tu:

Be sure you keep your fingers away from the light sensor when taking pictures and the flash can sometimes cause pictures to come out all white

DO NOT GET THE K850i - what a piece of junk I got rid thankfully, feels very cheaply made (plastic) and you will end up with the BROD (Blue Ring Of Death). I had to flash it twice and I always had SE phones up until this. If you do not have software problems I will be amazed, and there are better out there

I have the iPhone challenger - Samsung Omnia. Excellent standard and has everything I need

I need a cheap, basic pay as you go phone for Mr Roversmum. The mere sight of a mobile phone sends him into a panic so it has to be very easy to understand. He's had a couple of falls recently when on his own and I'm hoping to persuade him to keep it with him especially if he goes out on his own.

DO NOT GET THE K850i - what a piece of junk I got rid thankfully, feels very cheaply made (plastic) and you will end up with the BROD (Blue Ring Of Death). I had to flash it twice and I always had SE phones up until this. If you do not have software problems I will be amazed, and there are better out there

I have the iPhone challenger - Samsung Omnia. Excellent standard and has everything I need

I've heard all about these problems with the k850i, but hand on heart I have only had mine freeze on me a handful of times, so I guess I'm lucky, although I do agree on the plastics issue as mine now has a few lovely cracks <_<

There are better SE phones available now though such as the c902 B)

Mum, you can get a pretty straight forward Nokia or Samsung for about £10-£20 from most phone stores..I'd recommend a Nokia for ease of use though

I got the k850i. Absolutely shocking phone. In fact there are four or five blokes at work had one too and they all hated it. Took it back and got the C902. Lovely phone, but don't discount the new iPhone.

As for your original phone breaking, did you try taking it back and playing the Sale of Goods Act 1979?

I need a cheap, basic pay as you go phone for Mr Roversmum. The mere sight of a mobile phone sends him into a panic so it has to be very easy to understand. He's had a couple of falls recently when on his own and I'm hoping to persuade him to keep it with him especially if he goes out on his own.

Nokia every time for me. Never used it but this is what Which? says about the Nokia 2610 for £15:

If you’re after something for just calling and texting, look no further than the Nokia 2610. Colour-screen and polyphonic ring-tones are about as advanced as it gets with this basic handset. It may not have the extras beloved of gadget fans but it’s still a fantastic phone with excellent battery-life that does all the simple things well. It’s also a very light phone and is good for making calls in weak reception areas, although as its only a dual—band model it can't be used in the US.

We’ve seen better phones in terms of durability – workmanship is below average and of course there is no scratch protection for the display. Sound quality for calls isn’t fantastic but the good reception makes up for it. Thanks in large part to the lack of features, battery life is fantastic. Standby and calling times are among the best we’ve seen. It’s OK for text messaging but the display could be a little bigger. There’s no camera or music player included, nor an FM radio – the similar Nokia 2310 does feature the latter.

Pros: Light, simple and easy to use. Great battery

Cons: Light on extras

OR try the Nokia 2630 whch is with Tesco who get very good ratings as a service provider (Tom is with Tesco) for £34.97:

The Nokia 2630 is a basic candybar handset. It’s reasonably priced but there are better budget handsets. It's pretty good as a phone with strong reception levels and clear calls.It's also easy to use, though the keys are small. Hpwever, its 0.3Mp camera is very basic and produces poor-quality pictures that are difficult to transfer to your computer. There is an FM radio, but not a music player.

The 2630 is one of Nokia's slimmest and lightest handsets. It might fit nicely into your bag, but it may not always be that much use on that long trip. It’s only a dual-band handset, so it won’t work in the US and some other overseas destinations.

Pros: Light, cheap, easy to use

Cons: No music player, poor camera, dual band

Archived