BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fowler Gone

So, now he's gone, I have two questions:

a) Will the people who were supportive of one of the most obviously doomed signings admit they were not just wrong but culpably wrong. No-one gets it right all the time but, as I say, this one was BLATANT.

B) Where do we file him in the rank of terrible short-term signings? Below Yordi - of course, above David Yelldell...?

Well I've admitted that I was a fan of Fowler in the past, I was very surprised at the signing however. I thought it kind of came from nowhere but hoped it would work out and that perhaps he could rediscover his match fitness and get a few goals or something, maybe he was better than when I last saw him and perhaps Ince isn't completley mad.

This was obviously me hoping for the absolute best, deep down I was wondering what the hell he was doing at the club 5 years after his best before date. The truth is that whenever we saw him he was awful, he didn't make an impact on any game either from the bench or from the start, (Yes Robbie Fowler started games for us in 2008, how crazy does that sound for a club that were 7th?)

Now I won't completley condemn Ince for signing him and having a closer look, at least it was a cheap deal and on a short term basis, but I will condemn Ince for continuing to put him in the first 18 and bring him off the bench ahead of the likes of Derbyshire, McCarthy and Mark Bunn even though it was plain to see from the first game or two that he simply couldn't cut it anymore. The only thing he ever did was a 5 yard pass to Olsson. I'm not sure if he touched the ball for us apart from that.

I'd imagine that at top clubs the players get to eat for free at the club canteen so at least that should save us a fair bit of money now he has gone.

So to answer your first question, yes I was completley wrong to even give him half a chance from the start, it truly was a terrible decision to bring him in.

To answer your second one, it is one of the worst players we have brought in but for the low fee and the fact that most fans will have forgotten he was ever at the club by next season means at least it won't have any lasting effect on the club, it at least has to be up there in the top 3 though. I barely remember Yordi but at least he scored for us if I remember rightly. Surely he isn't as bad as that other short time signing we made earlier in the season, Paul Ince.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty gutted. He was a massive presence around the place and as the Guvnor said "world class".

Not to mention the 'tips' he passed on to our other strikers. He was invaluable.

Expect Ince to get the Blackpool job and sign Fowler, Alan Clarke and Jimmy Greaves.

Rave on.

So, now he's gone, I have two questions:

a) Will the people who were supportive of one of the most obviously doomed signings admit they were not just wrong but culpably wrong. No-one gets it right all the time but, as I say, this one was BLATANT.

B) Where do we file him in the rank of terrible short-term signings? Below Yordi - of course, above David Yelldell...?

I thought Yordi was okay but didn't play much - scored a cracker against Southampton and addd some real ariel power.

• 2 weeks later...

And it looks like he might be heading down to Australia, although the people of Townsville are really jumping the gun with these headlines as he's coming to Australia but probably will say no as a deal last year fell through because his wife didn't want to the family to Australia;

tvbfrontpagebigmd8.jpg

tvbbackpagebigng1.jpg

good look to him, he was/ maybe still can be a great player in the right league.

He'll have to take a pay cut, Ossy St. Mary's can't afford those kind of wages and the sponsors would have to significantly up the post match pie offering.

:brfcsmilie:

• 4 weeks later...
And it looks like he might be heading down to Australia, although the people of Townsville are really jumping the gun with these headlines as he's coming to Australia but probably will say no as a deal last year fell through because his wife didn't want to the family to Australia;
Why what do I know, he's actually signed up by the terribly named North Queensland Fury Link here

I hope he likes cyclones and 90% humidity as that's what he'll expect when the lives/plays up there. :rolleyes:

Why what do I know, he's actually signed up by the terribly named North Queensland Fury Link here

I hope he likes cyclones and 90% humidity as that's what he'll expect when the lives/plays up there. :rolleyes:

So which league is he playing in then? What kind of standard is it at? Slightly below the premiership I assume! A little mad to think that just over a month ago he was actually a Rovers player.

North Queensland Fury will be at the level of a division 3 side. brand new team poaching players with hardly a budget from a league already stretched for quality. Townsville isn't even a football loving town, in fact I doubt they know what a football looks like.

At its best, I'd say lower to mid Championship.

At its worst ?

Nil all draw with indonesia says enough to be about the standard of player, not even Championship quality.

If players like Charlie Miller can just miss out on player of the year, the quality is quite crap.

• 6 months later...

Archived