BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Graeme Souness

Stuart

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THE PRODUCER... you may have unwittingly stumbled upon the answer...... (drumroll).

souness as manager with brian kidd as his assistant! :P:lol::lol:

in all seriousness, i'm ready for souness' return.

yes, yes, his training methods are outdated... but christ! rovers have never been as unfit and lifeless as we are now! even souness would improve on that.

we need a manager who doesnt need much time to settle in.

souey would hit the ground running, and hit a few egos even harder!

whatever else the man is.... he's a leader,

he would give players and the fans a lift! and the club a temporary face-lift! haha! :P:lol:

Quite apt with talk of Souness's return that his bosom buddy on the agent front Willie Mckay has just landed himself a suspended ban by acting for the same player when Portsmouth both bought and sold him.

Which is contrary to regulations.

Wonder how that would have applied to the Barry Ferguson situation here? Was BF's agent Mckay or someone different?

I do think we could do with some decent coaches though. Souey seems to take Alan Murray and Phil Boersma everywhere he goes. Would be more of the same potentially. Also think he would keep Archie Knox on as well.

Also with a short-term option, do we just give them a free reign to spend all the money we have available for transfers (even though that may not be much!).

We have taken such big strides forward in the last few seasons, now we have gone backwards. I just feel Souey,is a step back. We have had him before,why go back to somebody who when things got tough,jumped ship and couldnt handle it.

Even though I wanted him out as much as anyone, I have a soft spot for the old warhorse and would love to see him glowering on the touchline again.

But a short term appointment, be it him or anyone else, won't work. Where will the top-notch backroom team come from? Would they be short-term as well?? Why would anyone who was any good sign up for that, let alone leave a current secure job?? It's not about a manager any more, its about a management infrastructure, especially when we don't have one worth jackshit.

But a short term appointment, be it him or anyone else, won't work. Where will the top-notch backroom team come from? Would they be short-term as well?? Why would anyone who was any good sign up for that, let alone leave a current secure job?? It's not about a manager any more, its about a management infrastructure, especially when we don't have one worth jackshit.

Well said.

My memories of his time are on the whole positive, and thats exactly how they should remain.

Well, somebody has got to say it.

Your board made a complete ###### of potting Incey and now, judging by comments here, they are going to go for gold by re-appointing Souness! :o

Have you all forgotten that he was possibly a week away from the bullet when he walked out on you for the Newcastle job? This is utter, utter madness. There's a very good chance of relegation for Rovers anyway. It will become a certainty if you bring back old Whirling Eyes.

Is there anyone Souness did not fall out with by the time he left? Also he has no following of coaches other than Murray and Boersma. Unlikely Saunders would leave Wrexham for a 6 month appointment and nobody rated him as a coach anyway. Souness is poor at tactics so I don't see what his appointment will achieve.

Is there anyone Souness did not fall out with by the time he left? Also he has no following of coaches other than Murray and Boersma. Unlikely Saunders would leave Wrexham for a 6 month appointment and nobody rated him as a coach anyway. Souness is poor at tactics so I don't see what his appointment will achieve.

He got us into the Premiership, into Europe and won the Worthington cup. so Souey's poor tactics were really shown up there, who do you suggest then , Wenger, Capello, Fergie, Rafa or Scorlari.

Option wise we are restricted and I would go for Souey to pull us up, give him till end of season and see what happens.

My thoughts on Souness:

Cons;

1. Expensive tastes in players

2. Poor backroom staff and doesn't embrace technology

3. Seems to have 'shelf-life' of less than three years at any one club

4. IMV, is fixated on certain 'types' of players and utilizes these players consistently in the wrong position

5. Offers long term contracts to non-deserving team members

Pros;

1. Can attract decent names and undervalued player's

2. Has a modestly good track record with Rovers

3. Established scouting network across Europe

4. Can increases the profile Rovers

So for me, it really is a 50/50...

EDIT: It will be interesting to see the reaction of Dunn, IF Souness was to be appointed as the next Rovers manager...

Boersma had to move to different job at Rovers because of health issues and swapped jobs with Murray. This coincided, as well as other issues, with Souness' decline at Ewood.

Nicko, can you fill us in on the Souness aspect of the managerial hunt? Was he ###### off that he wasn't high on our list or did the club not contact him at all? Please tell us more

Graeme is rather fed up as we speak.

He wanted the job - he didn't go public on it while someone else was in charge.

He would have worked with Tugay and brought in other coaches. He was shocked when that leaked out ten days ago or so.

His feeling now is that he was slightly stitched up by the local paper and Sky today and the stories that he had ruled himself out.

He didn't. He was simply not asked.

I feel for the guy, he was terrific for the club before he got bored in the end - and made the wrong move to Newcastle.

If Sam Allardyce wins a Cup and takes you into Europe twice then he will deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.

As it is, the less qualified guy has got the vote.

Although I still think the best man was Owen Coyle.

Suppose he will have to settle for his own double this season... :P

The thing is Nicko at the tailend of his spell here the team was in roughly the same boat as we are now. He started off well, got us back to the Prem as soon as he could and won us a major trophy. It was only when he'd done all the spade work and got us established that things started to go badly wrong.

He left us badly in the mire, if we had have made a Ince like appoinment at that time instead of getting Hughes we would have gone down.

I admire his willingness to try an rescue us but in all honesty I don't think he was the right man at this moment.

On another note - just what is it about Coyle that you admire so much ?

The thing is Nicko at the tailend of his spell here the team was in roughly the same boat as we are now. He started off well, got us back to the Prem as soon as he could and won us a major trophy. It was only when he'd done all the spade work and got us established that things started to go badly wrong.

He left us badly in the mire, if we had have made a Ince like appoinment at that time instead of getting Hughes we would have gone down.

I admire his willingness to try an rescue us but in all honesty I don't think he was the right man at this moment.

On another note - just what is it about Coyle that you admire so much ?

Souey could still have been a good impact manager - Sam may be the same.

I find it astonishing that his record and knowledge is judged the way it is. Sure, he was bored by the end last time - I saw that at close hand. But Sam was bored at Bolton too.

Look at Sam's record at Bolton in his last half season. It does NOT make good reading.

As for transfers - check out some of the trash he took to Newcastle and who are still there on huge contracts.

I hope it works out well, but there is no way Sam is a better boss than Souey.

As for Coyley...I said a year ago he could be the dog's wotsits...and I ain't wrong.

I find it astonishing that his record and knowledge is judged the way it is. Sure, he was bored by the end last time - I saw that at close hand. But Sam was bored at Bolton too.

Look at Sam's record at Bolton in his last half season. It does NOT make good reading.

As for transfers - check out some of the trash he took to Newcastle and who are still there on huge contracts.

As for Coyley...I said a year ago he could be the dog's wotsits...and I ain't wrong.

You're correct about Sams transfer dealings, he was better when he'd very little money and he was relying on loans or free transfers. The minute he got his hands on some serious dosh he started to lose the plot player wise. Previously he'd get about a dozen loanees or free's and if four of them were successful he'd be happy, he'd just bin the other eight !

Until the Grabbi fiasco Souey had a much better record of signings but as I say he lost the plot at the end as well.

Sorry but I cannot let this go unchallenged.

Souness may have been "bored" but that is no excuse for poor management and not doing his job properly; when he left the club Rovers were a dreadul state, possibly worse than they are at present. There was genuine relief all round Ewood Park when he departed, and Newcastle then found what a poor manager he was.

Perhaps all these "bored" managers should also realise that the grass is not always greener elsewhere, that the daily work routine is often repetitive and "boring" and that they should thank their lucky stars they are being paid obscene amounts of money for being "bored".

Yours,

bored of Borehamwood.

Archived