BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who Should The New Manager Be?

neekoy

New Manager  

506 members have voted

1. 1. From the following who would you prefer?

• Sam Allardyce
    • Graeme Souness
    • Alan Curbishley
    • Roy Keane
    • Owen Coyle
    • David Jones
    • Roberto Mancini
    • Avram Grant

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whoah there, hands off Coyle if you don't mind.

In all honesty I'd hope he wpuld turn you down. Thats not the rivalry talking or trying to suggest he wouldn't see it as a step up but he recently spoke about young players he'd signed and how dissapointed he would be if they were looking to leave after 5 months - well that swings both ways.

You might also wish to check out his early record for us. Did well for a couple of months (new manager bounce effect) but then had a rocky time whilst he sorted things out.

In terms of who - again no malice in this reply but I would suggest you should be looking long term. Great if they can keep you up but maybe more important that they have the ability to get you back up quickly. A return for Hughes maybe? Or Souness?

Neither for me longsider - I would keep Ince and tough it out.

Before saturday I thought we were down on our luck but after that performance we are down on quality and effort.

Being an eighties Rover I wont be devastated if we go down (as long as you lot stay down...... :D )

Organised, well thought of in football, British, knows the game inside out. Yes yes it's compelling but the elephant in the Riverside is the fact that he is from down the bluddy road. I mean, really. Do we have to step down to that particular sewer? I suppose he has taken them to the play off positions on small crowds and smaller budgets. OK so its. Step forward

Alan Irvine.

An ex Rover. Coached in the Prem.

Irvine actually looks plausible - ex rover on both the player and staff side. Doing a decent job for Preston (6th as it stands)

Could he make the step up? No experience in the premiership, but was asisstant under Moyes at Everton. He may know JW.

If BFS turns the job down I am not too sure there are many more out there with real quality. Is Irvine an organiser, is he a fighter? That is what we need.

Irvine actually looks plausible - ex rover on both the player and staff side. Doing a decent job for Preston (6th as it stands)

Could he make the step up? No experience in the premiership, but was asisstant under Moyes at Everton. He may know JW.

If BFS turns the job down I am not too sure there are many more out there with real quality. Is Irvine an organiser, is he a fighter? That is what we need.

I hadn't thought of him. That's actually a pretty good shout.

I wanted Allardyce in the summer or Billic, both still available.

Unfortantley we have some stupid fans who decided Facebook petitions we're brilliant!!!

Alan Curbishley anyone?

Alan Curbishley? Ask a Charlton or WHAM fan about him............. he would be a dreadful choice.

Alan Irvine? Nope

Bilic? Wont Come

Alan Curbishley? Ask a Charlton or WHAM fan about him............. he would be a dreadful choice.

Alan Irvine? Nope

Bilic? Wont Come

I'm not particularly an advocate of Curbishley - but jokingly said to the Charlton season ticket holder I work with who has gone to the game tonight that he needed to start a 'We want Ince' chant at the Valley. His response was to laugh and then say that he would get down on his knees to bring Curbishley back.

BFS doesn't want to come, enough said. Not sure why people keep talking about him.

Souness is the only option. The names being thrown around in this thread - Curbishley, Grant, Hoddle, the burnley manager etc make me shudder. If we're gonna change things, let's try and do it for the better.

Alan Irvine? Nope

Bilic? Wont Come

My husband's been suggesting Irvine as Rovers manager, but in a couple of years' time when he's had time to get more experience.

BFS doesn't want to come, enough said. Not sure why people keep talking about him.

Souness is the only option. The names being thrown around in this thread - Curbishley, Grant, Hoddle, the burnley manager etc make me shudder. If we're gonna change things, let's try and do it for the better.

I am not sure that Souness is any less of a gamble than them. He is unpredictable, doesn't have a staff and has been out of the game for ages. Someone in work would have the advantage of having a ready set staff we could poach and hit the floor running.

What are you talking about? I'd be surprised if there's a Charlton fan on earth that would have bad things to say about Curbishley, just look how they have plummeted since he left. He hardly did a bad job at West Ham either; kept them up against the odds last season and had a half decent start to this one.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but we could do a lot worse than appoint him until the end of the season.

ALan Irvine is an interesting potential candidate.

However, I don't think his team has any foreigners in it. He's one of those bosses who does not seem to trust foreign players - or trust his judgment on foreign players.

As Hull have shown, you need bargain foreigners to add that unBritish flair to your side to succeed.

The selection of manager should be driven by the nature of the problem that needs to be solved.

If you believe those like Tony Gale's Mic, that we are a top 7 team being dragged under by Ince's buffoonery, then Souness would do the job, kick a few arses etc., as could Allardyce, Curbishley and virtually any experienced manager.

If, however, you believe that it is indeed possible for a team to deteriorate so far so fast, then I would suggest Souness is not the man. He's been out of the game three years - would he have an up to date list of transfer targets? Where would he magic up a top-notch backroom team from?

The Ince saga has shown the need to recruit a competent, cohesive management TEAM, who have the ability and the knowledge of transfer targets to get us out of the mire. I would suggest that Wigan last year and Spurs this year have shown that to do so you need to poach a Premier League manager and his key lackeys. But I honestly believe none of them would leave their clubs to come to no-money Blackburn.

So then we are left with the Bolton option of recruiting a top of the Championship management team. While we might have no money, we have our Sky payments - so step forwards Owen Coyle. But would he risk the chance of going down when his existing club might come up? I believe so because of the infrastructure; if we can't survive long-term in tbhis league then Burnley can't last more than a season.

However, I don't believe Williams has the nouse (or should that be nonce??) to understand the underlying problem, and sacking Ince is not a solution, it is a necessary but insufficient step to get to a solution. I think Waggy has a good point on the Ince out thread which is that appointing in haste now could well lead to further time in the wilderness as next year will be a goner too, as indeed it was with Kidd. Appointing the wrong guy in haste now is the best way to ensure we do a Leeds/Forest.

We need to appoint someone who, even if they can't keep us up, can get us up. If you believe, as I do, that the current squad is basically knackered, then that means we need a rebuilder: good with the chequebook, has a list of players we need to go and buy as soon as the window opens, is a moulder of teams and already has a comeptent group around him. Much as I would like to see Souey with steam coming out of his ears on the touchline, he ain't the guy for the job in hand

Williams can survivie the Ince fiasco only if he gets the next one right. If he doesn't then the club itself may not survive his great experiment.

I spit my tea out when I saw that telegraph article posted by John on the Paul Ince thread.

"With Sam Allardyce making it clear Sunderland is a more appealing option, and a lack of enthusiasm among the board for Alan Curbishley, Williams is surveying a fallow field of candidates to replace Ince, with Graeme Souness and Roberto Mancini possible contenders."

I'm sorry, but there's just not a chance in heaven he'd come! I'd rip the guys right arm off though if he said "aye alreet then, thas benna ava do wit th'rovers!"

Archived