BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn V. Stoke City

For a £25 stake I won £21.61. TBH didn't really understand Betfair, instead of taking just one bet it took four and then gave me average odds spread over those bets. Apparently the site waits for someone else to match the bet, so it's not really bettng with betfair but betting against another punter? Seems a bit odd to me and can't see how betfair make any money?

Paul, I'll bow to Hasta who's our resident betting expert but my limited understanding......... looks like no other Betfair punter would give you odds of say 2.0 (evens) for the whole £25, so Betfair works by taking your £25 and looking for the best odds on offer. So in your case looks as though there was somebody who was offering you £5 at 1.95, £5 at 1.94 etc...... all adding up to 'matching' your £25. So you're right, it spread your money over folk who were giving you different odds. Betfair make their money by taking a few percent commission on winning bets (whether they're back or lay bets), so if you look at your statement, it might say you actually won say £22 then Betfair took 39 pence before paying you.

Ladbrokes is a bit more straightforward but you usually get slightly better returns (even allowing for commission) on Betfair!

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tickets in the Riverside were only £16.60 !!! Couldn't believe it.

Ticket prices at BRFC being an issue that nobody can ever whine about. But maybe we need to keep spreading the message. All most half-hearted, occasional supporters ever comment about loudly and publically is the price for Category A matches, which gives a complete false picture of the clubs policies on this matter and does not bring a commercial aspect to the price comparison with our neighbours in the lower leagues.

I wonder if the club regret their move to reduce ticket prices now? The expectation of so many on here that Ewood Park would be busting at the seams for evermore has rather been exposed as the pipe dream that it was always destined to be.

Paul, I'll bow to Hasta who's our resident betting expert but my limited understanding......... looks like no other Betfair punter would give you odds of say 2.0 (evens) for the whole £25, so Betfair works by taking your £25 and looking for the best odds on offer. So in your case looks as though there was somebody who was offering you £5 at 1.95, £5 at 1.94 etc...... all adding up to 'matching' your £25. So you're right, it spread your money over folk who were giving you different odds. Betfair make their money by taking a few percent commission on winning bets (whether they're back or lay bets), so if you look at your statement, it might say you actually won say £22 then Betfair took 39 pence before paying you.

Ladbrokes is a bit more straightforward but you usually get slightly better returns (even allowing for commission) on Betfair!

Thank you

Archived