BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Fat Sam's Shopping List

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if Sam (or anyone) could get him back to his old form.

i don't know, he's got a fair record of getting "has been's" back to their best. and while i see you point i wouldn't say anelka, diouf, or Jay-Jay Okocha were particularly hard working..

The press will link us to several players who Sam has previously worked with. Alan Smith i reckon will be one that gets a few mentions.

I used to like Alan Smith , a good aggressive striker who should have scored more goals . Since that bad injury he's been 2nd rate, and he's no more a midfield player than Warnock is. No thanks.

What I meant by multinational patchwork of footballers, is that Bolton's player turnover was high. Revolving doors and all that. He was signing the likes of Idan Tal, Braaten, Laville, Mikel Alonso, Gerald Cid, David Thompson, Quinton Fortune, Oscar Perez, Martin Djetou, Fadiga, Fernando Hierro, Vincent Candela, Bulent Akin and so on. How long did most of these players stay at Bolton? Not long.

That's not to say he did not make good signings. However, imo, Allardyce's Bolton didn't have a real identity because he kept wheeling and dealing, a loanee from Azerbaijan here, a 38 Bosman "warhorse" there. There was no developmental plan to create a stable team.

Of course, financial restrictions made it necessary for Allardyce to be cute in the market but I still think that he over did the 'random foreign/experienced player speculation". If Allardyce intends to adopt the same piecemeal approach to squad management at Rovers, then I genuinely think that we may as well close down the academy. BFS would much rather haul in a Israeli short-term loanee than give a young player a chance.

I really believe that he will keep us up. So, I guess I will quit whining until we see what Allardyce has in store for Rovers. If this guy from Leeds he's brought in was involved in the development of Delph, Beckford and others at Leeds, maybe he'll be a useful addition and ensure that our reserves/academy still play a part in Rovers future.

Sam signed a lot of players, some of whom were duds, but that's what you get for dealing at the bottom of the market. Once it was realised that they weren't up to much they got shipped out pretty quickly. Some of your examples aren't right though.

Idan Tal was still around when Sam left Bolton. He went home for family reasons, by which time Sammy Lee was manager.

Braaten and Alonso were Sammy Lee signings.

Laville was a cracking player but was injured badly after signing permanently for Bolton and never really recovered.

Fadiga did his cruciate ligament and was released at the end of that season.

Hierro retired

Candela went back to Italy to play for Udinese in the Champions League.

Quinton Fortune was always injured. A shame because he was class.

The good players stuck around. Tal Ben Haim (who Blackburn turned down), Bruno N'Gotty, Jay Jay Okocha, Stelios, Youri Djorkaeff and Diouf.

Sam signed a lot of players, some of whom were duds, but that's what you get for dealing at the bottom of the market. Once it was realised that they weren't up to much they got shipped out pretty quickly. Some of your examples aren't right though.

Idan Tal was still around when Sam left Bolton. He went home for family reasons, by which time Sammy Lee was manager.

Braaten and Alonso were Sammy Lee signings.

Laville was a cracking player but was injured badly after signing permanently for Bolton and never really recovered.

Fadiga did his cruciate ligament and was released at the end of that season.

Hierro retired

Candela went back to Italy to play for Udinese in the Champions League.

Quinton Fortune was always injured. A shame because he was class.

The good players stuck around. Tal Ben Haim (who Blackburn turned down), Bruno N'Gotty, Jay Jay Okocha, Stelios, Youri Djorkaeff and Diouf.

Shame about Laville, he looked a top class defender. Another one who never recovered from a bad injury. Okocha on his day would have got into any team any where, World class player. What was that Scandinavian full back called ? Great servant to Bolton and a top player ? Don't forget that striker that went to Chelsea and then Barca ( Gudjonnson ? ), he wasn't bad either. If Sam can bring us a few more like them we'll do O.K.

Completely forgot about Laville, he was a brilliant defender, such a shame that he got that injury.

Sam can certainly spot a player. And when he does get it wrong he doesn't tend to have them hanging around for too long. The problem with a high turnover of players is that you would assume the side's organisation and togetherness would suffer...but that's not an accusation you can throw at an Allardyce team, so I don't see the problem.

Shame about Laville, he looked a top class defender. Another one who never recovered from a bad injury. Okocha on his day would have got into any team any where, World class player. What was that Scandinavian full back called ? Great servant to Bolton and a top player ? Don't forget that striker that went to Chelsea and then Barca ( Gudjonnson ? ), he wasn't bad either. If Sam can bring us a few more like them we'll do O.K.
You're probably thinking of centre back Gudni Bergsson. Cost £65,000 from Spurs and seemed to get better every season. Went back to Iceland to train as a lawyer aged 38. Gudjohnsen played under Sam, but was signed by Colin Todd. Seriously good player who was sold for a fraction of his value to balance the books.

You're probably thinking of centre back Gudni Bergsson. Cost £65,000 from Spurs and seemed to get better every season. Went back to Iceland to train as a lawyer aged 38. Gudjohnsen played under Sam, but was signed by Colin Todd. Seriously good player who was sold for a fraction of his value to balance the books.

Bergsson must have been signed by somebody else as I'm pretty sure he played in the league cup final against Liverpool in the 90's.

Why would Nihat and Kanouté leave teams that are regularly playing in the Champions League and even challenging for the league?

I would be happy with Routledge if we could wheel out a good deal for him, no more than 2,5 mil £.

Oh, and just because BFS now manages us instead of Bolton or Newcastle it doesn't mean he looks better. BFS stays, atleast for me.

Yeah that's him. I didn't realise he'd been there that long, classy defender who could play football when he had to. How does Stiensson compare ?

Why would Nihat and Kanouté leave teams that are regularly playing in the Champions League and even challenging for the league?

I would be happy with Routledge if we could wheel out a good deal for him, no more than 2,5 mil £.

Oh, and just because BFS now manages us instead of Bolton or Newcastle it doesn't mean he looks better. BFS stays, atleast for me.

I like Routledge, I said he'd be worth a punt when he went to Villa, but £2.5M is way over the odds. I'd try and get him on loan. I'm sure Villa were linked with another winger this week ( Not Downing) O,Neill must be collecting them !

i mentioned gravesen a couple of pages back, does anyone know if he's found a club since leaving Celtic (according to wiki he hasn't..). now he'd probably have toget back in shape but if anyone can do it sam can, and he's still on 32.

for me, he's just the type of battler we need and has bags of exprience.

Did he not go back on loan to Everton never to play a game?

He's not the player he was and if he can't cut it in the scottish premier then, sorry I doubt he would cut the mustard here we need better than him and younger.

I do hope Sam digs up a couple of kids our squad is getting on.

I like Routledge, I said he'd be worth a punt when he went to Villa, but £2.5M is way over the odds. I'd try and get him on loan. I'm sure Villa were linked with another winger this week ( Not Downing) O,Neill must be collecting them !

He's had so many chances though lads. Surely we have enough almost men at the club already.

He looked good as a kid but just hasn't pushed on abit like Gally and Derb's.

Yeah that's him. I didn't realise he'd been there that long, classy defender who could play football when he had to. How does Stiensson compare ?
Steinsson's not bad but not in Bergsson's league. Struggles against a good winger, like Ashley Young last week.

92er, you are correct. Bergsson was signed by Bruce Rioch.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nicky Hunt ended up at Blackburn.

Steinsson's not bad but not in Bergsson's league. Struggles against a good winger, like Ashley Young last week.

92er, you are correct. Bergsson was signed by Bruce Rioch.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nicky Hunt ended up at Blackburn.

Can't say I'm too impressed with Hunt, he always looked a bit light weight to me. Am I wrong ?

Archived