BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ince's Disasterous Signings

accyrover

Robinson - Needs time and a proper defence in front of him - KEEP.

Simpson - Not convinced. Would prefer another with more attacking or defensive power. He is too middle ground and is good at neither. SEND BACK.

Villanueva - Keep him until the end of the season then decide. Could come good. KEEP.

Grella - Injured, but looked quality when played. We can't sell him until he is fit so keep him, then see how good he is and then decide. KEEP.

Andrews - Not our worst player. He is good enough as cover in my opinion. Especially in our injury prone midfield. Won't be a starter but he is good enough to stand in. KEEP.

So yeah. Apart from Simpson and Fowler, not that bad. I liked his thinking with Carlos, it could have paid off. And it still might yet.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robinson.............no better than the majority of keepers in the top 2 divisions, and weaker than a fair number. Probably only around 6 keepers paid more, so on balance i'd certainly bin off given the first oppurtunity.

Simpson.................Pace backed up with nothing else, a long way short at this level. GONE

Grella.............At the moment a truly awful signing, Already have the feeling he's the next Reid injury wise. GONE before he gets the next long term injury.

Andrews..............Even on our budget you'd struggle not to find a better player.

Carlos..............Give the lad a chance upfront or free, at the minute would'nt be missed.

On the flip side of terrible signings i'd say not accepting money for mccarthy in the summer if the rumours are true rates every bit as badly as any of the above signings.

Thin and lacking quality yes; injury prone no.

Certainly less than most other clubs in this league.

For the umpteenth time, the injuries issue is just a fallacy spun by Ince and the Board for their own mutual back sliding self-interest!!!!

Man City's current injury list reads like after a stag weekend in Mogadishu compared to ours:

B Mwaruwari Hamstring Injury no return date

J Garrido Achilles Tendinopathy 21st Dec 08

D Sturridge Virus 21st Dec 08

M Petrov Knee Injury Feb 09

M Johnson Groin Strain 10th Jan 09

V Bojinov Calf/Shin Injury Feb 09

Robinho?

As does Everton's, Newcastle's, Stoke's etc...

I think we currently have only Steven Reid (who's been AWOL for the best part of nearly three years) out long term and perhaps Grella until Xmas?

What's the difference? I'm not sure. Perhaps the respective Boards of the above mentioned clubs have and will be prepared to back their managers and spend money on adequate replacements. Probably the managers of the above have a better eye for picking up squad players than our erstwhile bright young hope from Ilford.

We seem to be ok now but about a month ago we had the following missing: Emerton, Olsson, Ooijer, Grella, Dunn, RSC, Reid, that was more than ANY team in the league and this went on for quite some time, so we have been unlucky with injuries this season and it has not been a fallacy!!

17th Man City 18 points

18th Sunderland 18 points

19th WBA 14 points

20th ROVERS 12 points

That would be the table without Andrews late strike at WBA.

12th ROVERS 23 points

18th Man City 18 points

19th Sunderland 18 points

20th WBA 13 points

That might have been the table if he had kept Bentley and not signed Andrews. :lol:

Robinson - he flaps at crosses and corners but other than that he's a good'un. He can pull off those worldie saves from time to time.

Simpson - bin.

Andrews - bin. I bet Andrews feels like he has been moved to the top maths set a school just because his Dad is (was) the principal. He's out of his depth and probably knows it too.

Grella - If I could have the money back I would, but we can't so let's hope he can play.

Villanueva - I wanted this to work, but it didn't. Flight home in January me thinks.

Fowler - is he still here??

We seem to be ok now but about a month ago we had the following missing: Emerton, Olsson, Ooijer, Grella, Dunn, RSC, Reid, that was more than ANY team in the league and this went on for quite some time, so we have been unlucky with injuries this season and it has not been a fallacy!!

I would wager that on any scientific calculation or any algorithm that you care to come up with regarding our injuries ratio for the season taken as a whole, we have done no worse than any of our rivals.

Why mention Santa Cruz? He's played the vast majority of games. He's not injured, he's just not interested. Reid's latest injury is a virtual continuation of the past two years. As for Olsson; don't make me laugh.

I'm sure your opinion will not change however, why would it? After all you're the poor deluded soul that despite all evidence to the contrary manically preached to the legion of doubters the same martyrdom message that (had anyone actually listened to you) would have seen you follow Ince over the precipice along with the club just so you could prove that you were right all along.

Have it your way Imy if it makes you feel better; Ince was very unlucky with injuries all season…

12th ROVERS 23 points

18th Man City 18 points

19th Sunderland 18 points

20th WBA 13 points

That might have been the table if he had kept Bentley and not signed Andrews. :lol:

I don't think your right, we'd be stuck on 12 points because Bentley strikes me as the kind of person that would rather have rot in the reserves then play in the first team if his transfer request had been denied

I would wager that on any scientific calculation or any algorithm that you care to come up with regarding our injuries ratio for the season taken as a whole, we have done no worse than any of our rivals.

Why mention Santa Cruz? He's played the vast majority of games. He's not injured, he's just not interested. Reid's latest injury is a virtual continuation of the past two years. As for Olsson; don't make me laugh.

I'm sure your opinion will not change however, why would it? After all you're the poor deluded soul that despite all evidence to the contrary manically preached to the legion of doubters the same martyrdom message that (had anyone actually listened to you) would have seen you follow Ince over the precipice along with the club just so you could prove that you were right all along.

Have it your way Imy if it makes you feel better; Ince was very unlucky with injuries all season…

It doesn't really matter how many injuries we had compared to Man City. It may be the case that they had more players injured. But the real figure we need to know is how many players they had FIT. We have a smaller squad than most therefore feel injuries a lot more.

Ince is gone now. He did badly but there is no need to make him look even worse. Imagine Arsenal without Fabregas and Denilson, they wouldn't have a midfield. Ince did a few key things badly. I am not going to pretend we didn't feel injuries because we did.

Robinson, is the only safe one. He has massive potential and with abit more confidence he is capable of being our best player.

Andrews is probably the next safest. He hasnt been outstanding but he hasnt been the worst player either.

Following them we have Villaneuva & Simpson who have both shown promise but need to do more to earn a contract. Grella has looked decent but we need to see him in a run of at least 8 games to see how good he really is.

Blobby went last week so thats ok.

As for Current players - Benni has to be given a chance (just look at his last 3 or 4 sub appearances) and hopefully Pedersen can find his old self.

Always think a good indicator of a players popularity with the fans is when they chant his name or sing a song about him. Regarding Inces signings can only think of the 'Englands number one' chant after hes made his customary single save of the game before going on to concede another two or three goals. :)

This is my final say on ince's son Andrews.

It is my opinion that he is the worst midfielder to ever grace a Rovers shirt whislt I have been supporting Rovers and believe me we have had some bad ones since the early 70's.

We repeatedly see written these words " he isnt the worst performer" or "he is as bad a the axe".

Lets be real and lets be honest.

To be a midfielder you have to do more than just run. You have to be able to tackle, pass, shoot, score, support, defend, head, create as well as RUN. Out of that lot RUN is the only thing he seems to be able to do competently.

He has no end product that is positive, he cant do anything else apart from bring trouble to the defence becasue for the attack side of his play he is nowhere near the words creative or productive.

The lad is simply a journey midfielder who has NOWHERE near the talent to play in this league, its as plain as daylight.

Being taken from Divison 3 straight to the hot bed of the Premiership is one of Ince's biggest failings, he should take the blame fair and square, whatever it is he sees/saw to warrant a starting place, I have yet to see it.

so, thats the honest bit, now sell him or indeed write off his fee and give him away.

Grella - seemed okay but is clearly injury prone.

Robinson - good keeper but heavily under pressure because of poor defending.

Simpson - can do the job but needs to be performing every week.

Carlos - clearly has the skill but is too slow and in our current plight not a luxury we can afford.

Mattias/Knox and Winterburn - a waste of our money in wages. Old school morons who thought they could bully their way with International players.

This is my final say on ince's son Andrews.

It is my opinion that he is the worst midfielder to ever grace a Rovers shirt whislt I have been supporting Rovers and believe me we have had some bad ones since the early 70's.

We repeatedly see written these words " he isnt the worst performer" or "he is as bad a the axe".

Lets be real and lets be honest.

To be a midfielder you have to do more than just run. You have to be able to tackle, pass, shoot, score, support, defend, head, create as well as RUN. Out of that lot RUN is the only thing he seems to be able to do competently.

He has no end product that is positive, he cant do anything else apart from bring trouble to the defence becasue for the attack side of his play he is nowhere near the words creative or productive.

The lad is simply a journey midfielder who has NOWHERE near the talent to play in this league, its as plain as daylight.

Being taken from Divison 3 straight to the hot bed of the Premiership is one of Ince's biggest failings, he should take the blame fair and square, whatever it is he sees/saw to warrant a starting place, I have yet to see it.

so, thats the honest bit, now sell him or indeed write off his fee and give him away.

Grella - seemed okay but is clearly injury prone.

Robinson - good keeper but heavily under pressure because of poor defending.

Simpson - can do the job but needs to be performing every week.

Carlos - clearly has the skill but is too slow and in our current plight not a luxury we can afford.

Mattias/Knox and Winterburn - a waste of our money in wages. Old school morons who thought they could bully their way with International players.

Paul Shepstone? Ronnie Hildersley? Tony Finnigan? Per Frandsen?

Paul Shepstone? Ronnie Hildersley? Tony Finnigan? Per Frandsen?

Tony Finnigan was worse. At leat Andrews runs forward. Finnigan used to get the ball, freeze, then turn heel and head towards our own goal. 50K we paid Palace for his services to to boot. That's # 750K in today's prices and means Palace f*****d us over twice in the '80's!

Robinson - Keep. Probably our long term number one, should we stay up.

Simpson - Keep until the end of the season, then send home. Not good enough.

Andrews - Keep until the end of the season, then transfer list if we stay up, or keep if we go down.

Grella - He's performed terribly in most of his appearances, but played extremely well in another. We won't get our money back, so we have to keep him. Hopefully he will come good.

Villanueva - Keep until the end of the season, then send home.

Fowler - Get rid NOW, an embarrassment to the club.

Ok Mr C here goes.

Finnegan - fly by night cock sure footballer but he had the touch he had a bit of flair and he scored goals. he could also show boat the odd decent pass - ANDREWS HASNT GOT THAT ABILITY.

Shepstone - fiery little oik with a haf decent left foot. He could tackle a player NOT miss them, he could pass and he wasnt afraid to get stuck in - ANDREWS HASNT GOT THAT ABILITY.

Hildersley - PNE Legend in the drinking stakes. Little Ronnie had ability in abundance and even with his little legs still managed to play half decent passes, had a rocket shot and wsnt afraid to put his head in where it hurt, he could also score goals with his feet and head - ANDREWS HASNT GOT THAT ABILITY.

Frandsen - GET A LIFE. If you want to compare their abilities then Frandsen wins by a head and a half. He could score sensational goals, had a passing range as good as Tugay and even when injured put more effort into being a midfielder - ANDREWS HAS NOWHERE NEAR HIS ABILITY (or maybe he has now he has retired!).

A few others ?

Metcalfe, Lowey, McKenzie, Patterson, Andersson, Barker, Brotherston, Miller, Devine, Hickman, MArtin, |Kenyon, Parkes, Wagstaffe, Fear, Aston, Taylor, Burke, Stonehouse, Speight, Coughlin, Richardson, Sellars, Arnott, Randell, Atkins.

These were all players who were not household names (McKenzie aside) BUt each and every one of them performed to the best of their abilities in our famous colours. Andrews is not even good enough SKILLWISE to lace this lots boots. He could probably out run them but that is not what being a midfielder is about.

Robinson - Keep. Probably our long term number one, should we stay up.

Simpson - Keep until the end of the season, then send home. Not good enough.

Andrews - Keep until the end of the season, then transfer list if we stay up, or keep if we go down.

Grella - He's performed terribly in most of his appearances, but played extremely well in another. We won't get our money back, so we have to keep him. Hopefully he will come good.

Villanueva - Keep until the end of the season, then send home.

I agree with that except for Andrews. Unfortunately for him he will always have the 'Ince's pet' tag on him and I don't think he can ever be good enough to shake that burden. Needs to be transferred for his own good as he will never be accepted here.

He went before Ince did, his short term contract ran out and was unsurprisingly not offered a new deal.

Not sure how true wiki is but I love this bit on his page...

"After training with Blackburn and appearing in a handful of friendlies he was offered a six-month deal by the club to last until January, but Fowler turned down the deal due to it being a shorter offer than the previous one he had rejected at Cardiff. After turning down the offer, Fowler made a shock enquiry about returning to Cardiff on the deal he had originally turned down, prompting anger from supporters and a swift "no thanks" from the club."

Ok Mr C here goes.

Finnegan - fly by night cock sure footballer but he had the touch he had a bit of flair and he scored goals. he could also show boat the odd decent pass - ANDREWS HASNT GOT THAT ABILITY.

Shepstone - fiery little oik with a haf decent left foot. He could tackle a player NOT miss them, he could pass and he wasnt afraid to get stuck in - ANDREWS HASNT GOT THAT ABILITY.

Hildersley - PNE Legend in the drinking stakes. Little Ronnie had ability in abundance and even with his little legs still managed to play half decent passes, had a rocket shot and wsnt afraid to put his head in where it hurt, he could also score goals with his feet and head - ANDREWS HASNT GOT THAT ABILITY.

Frandsen - GET A LIFE. If you want to compare their abilities then Frandsen wins by a head and a half. He could score sensational goals, had a passing range as good as Tugay and even when injured put more effort into being a midfielder - ANDREWS HAS NOWHERE NEAR HIS ABILITY (or maybe he has now he has retired!).

A few others ?

Metcalfe, Lowey, McKenzie, Patterson, Andersson, Barker, Brotherston, Miller, Devine, Hickman, MArtin, |Kenyon, Parkes, Wagstaffe, Fear, Aston, Taylor, Burke, Stonehouse, Speight, Coughlin, Richardson, Sellars, Arnott, Randell, Atkins.

These were all players who were not household names (McKenzie aside) BUt each and every one of them performed to the best of their abilities in our famous colours. Andrews is not even good enough SKILLWISE to lace this lots boots. He could probably out run them but that is not what being a midfielder is about.

The poor lad siezed his dream to play in The Premier League I dont think he deserves the sort of vitriol thats being aimed at him. He wouldn't be for me but I havn't percieved a lack of effort from him in a Rovers shirt and his point rescuing strike against WBA wasn't half bad was it?

Ince has gone now so you can give the lad a break. Plus, Giovanni Trappatoni clearly dosn't share your opinion.

I like Andrews, and think he would be a valuable member of the squad next season, should we be playing Championship football. Unfortunately, despite his good attitude and work ethic, I just don't think he is good enough for the Premier League, certainly not for a side with top half ambitions.

I think this is the view shared by most.

The poor lad siezed his dream to play in The Premier League I dont think he deserves the sort of vitriol thats being aimed at him. He wouldn't be for me but I havn't percieved a lack of effort from him in a Rovers shirt and his point rescuing strike against WBA wasn't half bad was it?

Ince has gone now so you can give the lad a break. Plus, Giovanni Trappatoni clearly dosn't share your opinion.

I agree - why do the fans give him such a hard time ?

Irrespective of his abilities - he was given a once in a life time opportunity by Ince to play in the Premiership - did anyone expect him to turn it down ?

For me he has always put in 100% - he may not be Gerrard - but he is an honest hard working midfield player - who has provided much needed cover.

Personally I would have preferred to see Ince sign a decent right back and move Bert into midfield - but what do I know.

Archived