BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ince's Disasterous Signings

accyrover

Just wondering what everyone thinks about the future for Ince's signings. My thoughts would be :

Simpson - send back to the Mancs. Not good enough.

Grella - has he kicked a ball yet ? Give him a chance but may not be good enough.

Accyrover

These two have been good. Grella ran the midfield against Boro a couple of weeks back and Simpsons looked pacey and confident whilst sitting at full back.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree - why do the fans give him such a hard time ?

Irrespective of his abilities - he was given a once in a life time opportunity by Ince to play in the Premiership - did anyone expect him to turn it down ?

For me he has always put in 100% - he may not be Gerrard - but he is an honest hard working midfield player - who has provided much needed cover.

Personally I would have preferred to see Ince sign a decent right back and move Bert into midfield - but what do I know.

Hes simply not good enough hes should be shipped out as quickly as is possible so that everyoone can move on, the longer he stays here the more resentful the fans will be come and that could undermine Sams ability to manage the club.

For Blackburn Rovers now to show progress from the Paul Ince era, Andrews simply has to move on as well.

I suspect Grella will play a Mokoena mk1-style holding role when he's fit, he's the only proper defensive midfielder we have apart from the useless South African. Robinson will stay and I have no doubt he'll be an excellent number one when Sam has sorted the defence out.

I can't see the others hanging around for too long, unless Simpson improves when Sam allows the full backs to start crossing over the half-way line. I'll never understand why Ince brought in Simpson when he wanted his full backs to sit so deep.

I agree - why do the fans give him such a hard time ?

Irrespective of his abilities - he was given a once in a life time opportunity by Ince to play in the Premiership - did anyone expect him to turn it down ?

For me he has always put in 100% - he may not be Gerrard - but he is an honest hard working midfield player - who has provided much needed cover.

Personally I would have preferred to see Ince sign a decent right back and move Bert into midfield - but what do I know.

I don't think anyone's giving him a hard time [unless you think that voicing an opinion of his abilities is giving him one], nor has anyone said he should have turned down the opportunity of moving to Rovers.

For me he has always put in 100% - he may not be Gerrard - but he is an honest hard working midfield player - who has provided much needed cover. Been said lot's of times, but I don't remember too many people say he is a "good", or a "quality" player - which he needs to be, to play in the Prem.

If he is considered a good player by some, it tends to be along the lines of "neat and tidy", which, if he isn't, he shouldn't be a professional footballer in any league. That doesn't in itself make him good enough to play against some of the best players in the world.

Finnegan is of blessed memory for his goal at Turf Moor.

Sorry folks, but I'd do my utmost to put in 100% if I realised my dream of playing Premier League football.

But at least I would have the good grace to do it anywhere except for Blackburn Rovers.

Keith Andrews reminds me of that Ali wots'isname at Southampton.

Come now, Jansen was a disastrous signing by Kidd, until Souey turned up.

I still have hopes for Andrews and Grella.

Simpson can leave.

And, obviously, Robinson's here to stay.

:lol: Please don't compare Jansen and Andrews.

Jansen was a young exciting starlet.

Andrews is a lower league chugger who's meant to be in the prime of his career.

I still have hopes for Andrews and Grella.

Ugh. Grella and Andrews in the same sentence.

I might have criticised the Grella signing based on the exorbitant fee paid for what I see as merely a squad player for a Premier League club with ambition, but he is miles ahead of the anonymous and out-of-depth Andrews. The Grella money will never be recovered, so he might as well be kept around now, especially since we are now a 19th-placed club rather than a 7th-placed club, so his stock increases and he looks a better first-term prospect than when he was signed. I can see him being a sort of midfield lynchpin for the rest of the season under Allardyce, in a similar sort of way that Mokoena was relied upon under Hughes in his first season (but he is certainly better than Mokoena).

He won't improve at his age and will not set the pitch alight, but he will be one of those reliable-enough players who can be called upon. What a waste of money, though, considering it could have been put toward getting that quality midfielder the team has been needing for years.

Ok Mr C here goes.

Finnegan - fly by night cock sure footballer but he had the touch he had a bit of flair and he scored goals. he could also show boat the odd decent pass - ANDREWS HASNT GOT THAT ABILITY.

Shepstone - fiery little oik with a haf decent left foot. He could tackle a player NOT miss them, he could pass and he wasnt afraid to get stuck in - ANDREWS HASNT GOT THAT ABILITY.

Hildersley - PNE Legend in the drinking stakes. Little Ronnie had ability in abundance and even with his little legs still managed to play half decent passes, had a rocket shot and wsnt afraid to put his head in where it hurt, he could also score goals with his feet and head - ANDREWS HASNT GOT THAT ABILITY.

Frandsen - GET A LIFE. If you want to compare their abilities then Frandsen wins by a head and a half. He could score sensational goals, had a passing range as good as Tugay and even when injured put more effort into being a midfielder - ANDREWS HAS NOWHERE NEAR HIS ABILITY (or maybe he has now he has retired!).

A few others ?

Metcalfe, Lowey, McKenzie, Patterson, Andersson, Barker, Brotherston, Miller, Devine, Hickman, MArtin, |Kenyon, Parkes, Wagstaffe, Fear, Aston, Taylor, Burke, Stonehouse, Speight, Coughlin, Richardson, Sellars, Arnott, Randell, Atkins.

These were all players who were not household names (McKenzie aside) BUt each and every one of them performed to the best of their abilities in our famous colours. Andrews is not even good enough SKILLWISE to lace this lots boots. He could probably out run them but that is not what being a midfielder is about.

Kevin Stonehouse and Micky Speight the memories come flooding back. Surprised you aint put a mention in for the legend that was Alan Ainscow "they've enjoyed it we've enjoyed it we will have a good night tonight !!!"

I like Andrews, and think he would be a valuable member of the squad next season, should we be playing Championship football. Unfortunately, despite his good attitude and work ethic, I just don't think he is good enough for the Premier League, certainly not for a side with top half ambitions.

I think this is the view shared by most.

True-------which raises the question why did Ince sign him. He seems to know less about football than the average fan! Surely that can't be correct?

well if you can turn super atko into a 1.5 million player 15 years ago there's hope for andrews.

i can't believe people think he's worse than the axe.

as for grella call it gut feeling or put it down to the fact he's barely been fit enough to play. i feel he'll be shown the door. i'd have the old swiss in front of the back 4 before grella.

Tony Finnigan was worse. At leat Andrews runs forward. Finnigan used to get the ball, freeze, then turn heel and head towards our own goal. 50K we paid Palace for his services to to boot. That's # 750K in today's prices and means Palace f*****d us over twice in the '80's!

But scored a screamer against dingles so can be excused for being crap

I don't think anyone's giving him a hard time [unless you think that voicing an opinion of his abilities is giving him one], nor has anyone said he should have turned down the opportunity of moving to Rovers.

For me he has always put in 100% - he may not be Gerrard - but he is an honest hard working midfield player - who has provided much needed cover. Been said lot's of times, but I don't remember too many people say he is a "good", or a "quality" player - which he needs to be, to play in the Prem.

If he is considered a good player by some, it tends to be along the lines of "neat and tidy", which, if he isn't, he shouldn't be a professional footballer in any league. That doesn't in itself make him good enough to play against some of the best players in the world.

Unfortunately, Den, for a 5th choice midfielder, we can't afford anyone who a - would be cheaper and b - willing to accept a reserve role.

The bad part about the whole signing is that injuries caused him to be played more than he normally would have needed to.

Andrews is okay when he manages to get on the ball, but he's so far off the pace that the majority of the game simply passes him by. We can't afford to have an anonymous player anywhere on the field on our situation, let alone in the centre of midfield.

In all honesty Ince did okay in the transfer window considering he said it took him a while to get up to speed as he wasn't used to scouting for the calibre of players in the premiership due to his lower league involvement. I don't think you can even blame Ince for this, we appointed him, why would he have been looking at premiership players?

His biggest crime though is that he didnt replace Bentley and we knew he was going from practically day one of Ince's reign, he was going before he even took over.

The signings he has made on the whole though have been okay, nothing more and nothing less.

Robinson - He's done okay and I still think it was a good replacement for Brad giving the transfer fee paid, I think we have to start defending better before we can see how good Robinson can be for us. Jury is still out at the moment.

Bunn - Haven't had chance to see him play yet but was regarded as one of the best goalkeepers outside of the premiership, could prove to be a good signing, jury is still out.

Andrews - Well I think he has been a bit harshly treated in a way, he's not as bad as some people made out but all in all I don't think he is good enough for this division, probably won't be here next summer, probably won't find a taker in January.

Grella - Only played a handful of games, hasn't shone so far, jury is still out, deserves a chance to impress.

Villanueva - Ince never seemed sure of his best position then he came out and said a few months later than he needs to play in the center yet never played him there. Didn't quite look quick or strong enough for the premiership but certainly showed glimpses of skill. Considering it was a loan signing it was worth a gamble, on current form he won't be here next year but maybe Allardyce will see a role for him as a kind of Okocha or Djorkaeff in his team?

Simpson - Hasn't looked great but again a decent loan signing as backup, Emerton should be first choice there though.

Fowler - @#/?

Santa Cruz Jr - Jury is still out

That's about it I think.

Three of Ince's signings played today, Robbo and Andrews the full game and Simpson came on for the last 5 + 4 added. Andrews and Robbo did well, Simpson couldn't do much in 5 minutes to be honest. We'll see if Andrews, Simpson, Carlos and Grella get many minutes but don't be surprised if Andrews plays a fair few games.

Ivan

Andrews didnt do well at all.

If you think that having a scuffed shot on target, giving the ball away repeatedly in the centre and tackling like a girl is doing well then my friend you know nothing of football. He was awfully exposed by a poor Stoke midfield.

Ivan

If you think that having a scuffed shot on target, giving the ball away repeatedly in the centre and tackling like a girl is doing well then my friend you know nothing of football. He was awfully exposed by a poor Stoke midfield.

Get off the soap box you boring old fart.

The new manager picked him and left him on for 90 minutes.

Enough said. Did you moan about something on 14th May 1995?

Ivan

Agreed don't think he will be around too long after January.

One thing about Andrews is that he works really hard and does have leadership qualities but I think I agree with the view that he really isn't the type of player we need if we are going to make progress at this level. I guess the question for BFS will be whether to stick with the 4/5 CM players we have or spend some of our transfer kitty on another one. A better move may be to spend most of it on a quality RM and try to get by with the likes of Andrews and Grella

Archived