BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ince's Disasterous Signings

accyrover

Robinson is an average keeper. The performances should tell you that (a few mistakes already which have cost us points, some good shot stopping but ultimately no stunning performances of the type you expect from most quality keepers a few times a season). The ACTIM index which takes numerous figures into account will also tell you that, where he isn't placed among the top 15 keepers in the league despite keepers who have conceded more than him being nearby. Capello's non-inclusion is also an indicator, given as he's already given a few non big-4 players a go.

We could and should have got someone better. I can't tell you exactly who, as I don't have anything like the scouting available to me as Ince did, but keepers are generally cheap and I'm sure one better could've been found somewhere on the continent for the same money.

My thoughts about Robinson are the same as yours, he's deeply average. A manager lives or dies by his signings, Ince died after 5 months . It says it all really.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Robinson is an average keeper. The performances should tell you that (a few mistakes already which have cost us points, some good shot stopping but ultimately no stunning performances of the type you expect from most quality keepers a few times a season). The ACTIM index which takes numerous figures into account will also tell you that, where he isn't placed among the top 15 keepers in the league despite keepers who have conceded more than him being nearby. Capello's non-inclusion is also an indicator, given as he's already given a few non big-4 players a go.

We could and should have got someone better. I can't tell you exactly who, as I don't have anything like the scouting available to me as Ince did, but keepers are generally cheap and I'm sure one better could've been found somewhere on the continent for the same money.

But according to the ACTI Mindex Gomes is the ninth best keeper in the Premiership and Kuyt is the fifth best striker. Both of which we all know is totally rubbish.

Robinson has been decent so far. Always going to be hard to follow in Friedel's footsteps, keepers usually improve as they get older hopefully this is the same for Robbo. He's the second best English keeper behind David James in my opinion.

But according to the ACI index Gomes is the ninth best keeper in the Premiership and Kuyt is the fifth best striker. Both of which we all know is totally rubbish.

Robinson has been decent so far. Always going to be hard to follow in Friedel's footsteps, keepers usually improve as they get older hopefully this is the same for Robbo. He's the second best English keeper behind David James in my opinion.

Gomes, despite his early mistakes and poor run of form is a better keeper than Robbo. He's kept Spurs in quite a few games this season and the mistakes he made earlier this season are no worse than what Robbo made last season. I can think of games where Robbo has cost us points (Sunderland, possibly Liverpool too as he shouldve stopped the Alonso strike, whether we wouldve lost anyway is another matter). I honestly can't think of a game where he's won us points with a string of great saves though. Quality keepers in sides with poor defences can still look great - Given, Jaaskeleinen have both kept their sides in the league. You expect quality keepers to produce a heroic performance every once in a while, moreso keepers who have been exposed as much as Robbo. I can't think of a single great performance, I remember just one game, can't remember the exact one, people fairly deemed him MoM, but that was because of how woeful everyone else was. And we still lost.

Keepers are generally at their peak around his age, Brad was an exception due to not getting proper first team football at Liverpool thanks to a couple of unfortunate errors.

And he's certainly not the second best behind James, Capello isn't biased whereas I'd say posters on this MB are much more likely to be. He did get called upto the last squad but only thanks to injuries. Kirkland, Green and Hart are definitely better than him, and Carson is about on a par.

Gomes, despite his early mistakes and poor run of form is a better keeper than Robbo. He's kept Spurs in quite a few games this season and the mistakes he made earlier this season are no worse than what Robbo made last season. I can think of games where Robbo has cost us points (Sunderland, possibly Liverpool too as he shouldve stopped the Alonso strike, whether we wouldve lost anyway is another matter). I honestly can't think of a game where he's won us points with a string of great saves though. Quality keepers in sides with poor defences can still look great - Given, Jaaskeleinen have both kept their sides in the league. You expect quality keepers to produce a heroic performance every once in a while, moreso keepers who have been exposed as much as Robbo. I can't think of a single great performance, I remember just one game, can't remember the exact one, people fairly deemed him MoM, but that was because of how woeful everyone else was. And we still lost.

Keepers are generally at their peak around his age, Brad was an exception due to not getting proper first team football at Liverpool thanks to a couple of unfortunate errors.

And he's certainly not the second best behind James, Capello isn't biased whereas I'd say posters on this MB are much more likely to be. He did get called upto the last squad but only thanks to injuries. Kirkland, Green and Hart are definitely better than him, and Carson is about on a par.

Sorry but you are wrong. It is always hard to follow a legend but Robbo is doing really well. Get off his back!

Very well said.

I would say the fact that Friedel was so good, yet there has been relatively little criticism of Robinson says to me he is doing very well.

As Al says it is hard to follow a legend. He is only just settling in here. Goalkeepers generally perform when they are settled and have a defence they can rely on. I am sure that will come in time and he will get even better.

Sorry but you are wrong. It is always hard to follow a legend but Robbo is doing really well. Get off his back!

Great argument there.

Robbo is doing OK, I'm not on his back but I just think people who are claiming he's doing a great job or that he's an excellent keeper are simply wrong.

Only I've actually backed my stance up...

If he does better later on then so be it, but right now he is nothing more than average.

Does Winterburn count as a signing? Or as a virus...be interesting to see how long we take to get over his "help" and who he latches onto next. Portsmouth might be a good place for him ...or one of those clubs who bemoan our lack of backbone at sacking a bright young English unqualified ex player..played 17 won 3!

Lol. If he is consider as signing, he would be my no 1 worst signing of the season!

Gomes, despite his early mistakes and poor run of form is a better keeper than Robbo.

I didnt read the rest of your post after that comment.

Robinson has made 1 blatant and costly error this season. Gomes has made too many to mention.

Why are you wrong? You even say it yourself....'mistakes' and 'poor'

Archived