BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should It Be Ram?

Iceman

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tombro,do you reckon that being clean through on goal, just the keeper to beat, no defenders behind you,and the choice of either putting it to the right, or left to score,as pressure? Perhaps, but its not just a few times its happened, but a regular occurance with Roberts. That is why, when his carreer is over, people will remember him for not being able,to handle pressure situations. Would you bet your house on him,scoring the winning penalty in the FA cup?

I agree about Roberts - and his ability to score when he has time to think. Reflex reactions - like Saturdays goal - he is fine - it seems to be when he has tme to think about what to do. However - for all those Roberts detractors - his power and pace seems to get him into these one-on-one goal scoring positions far more frequently than any other forward at the club. He does lead the line well - manages to stay onside (McCarthy take note), and frequently manages to turn his man. Very often the chances he misses - are ones that nobody else would be in the position to miss anyway. Having his pace up front - does mean that defences fall back a little deeper - which can help the overall team.

I agree about Roberts - and his ability to score when he has time to think. Reflex reactions - like Saturdays goal - he is fine - it seems to be when he has tme to think about what to do. However - for all those Roberts detractors - his power and pace seems to get him into these one-on-one goal scoring positions far more frequently than any other forward at the club. He does lead the line well - manages to stay onside (McCarthy take note), and frequently manages to turn his man. Very often the chances he misses - are ones that nobody else would be in the position to miss anyway. Having his pace up front - does mean that defences fall back a little deeper - which can help the overall team.

Roberts seems to do the kind of job for us that heskey does when he plays with a quality striker. He's not a very good goalscorer himself, but he makes it easy for others to get goals because defences can't risk his getting away from them - they have to watch him - and more natural finishers pick up the rebounds etc around the area and get chances that way. I said to my husband that Allardyce should start those 2 on Saturday and it worked.

Roberts seems to do the kind of job for us that heskey does when he plays with a quality striker. He's not a very good goalscorer himself, but he makes it easy for others to get goals because defences can't risk his getting away from them - they have to watch him - and more natural finishers pick up the rebounds etc around the area and get chances that way. I said to my husband that Allardyce should start those 2 on Saturday and it worked.

It did work. Problem is that Roberts first touch and finishing is so poor, that this partnership can't reasonably be seen as a long term answer.

Still think that if you get Benni and Roque to their 1st season form,then we got some serious talent up front. Get in a Bentley replacemnt, and get Gamst to perform better and we will be in the top 10 again.

Hope there is not to much commas LeChuck. Hahaha

For all that complain about Roberts, if he could actually score, there is no way we ever would have gotten him, because he'd be a hell of a striker being wanted by the top teams.

he reminds me of one of the rhinos on "bedknobs and broomsticks " in the footy game.

It did work. Problem is that Roberts first touch and finishing is so poor, that this partnership can't reasonably be seen as a long term answer.

That's not the point. He's not going to be trapping balls and lofting them over the last man for Benni, he does what he always does. He charges at people, wrestles and creates some space. Take the 3rd goal against Stoke. He charged into the area and smashed it at the keeper but Benni got the rebound. Somebody like Derbyshire, or even the current "can't be arsed lads" Cruz probably wouldn't have chased that ball with such vemon and got the original shot in.

He offers us something different, and as it stands, it's a dimension that is working with Benni.

EDIT: I don't suppose I really answered the question. The tactic will be as long term as it takes until defences can stop it working. Until then, it can be used for the foreseeable future.

Roberts and mcarthy worked very well together on saturday but long term i have my doubts,roberts is very frustrating if the guy could finish he would be in my starting 11 every week but his failure to put the ball in the net will cost us points in the long run.We need a similar type player to roberts but one who can put the ball in the back of the net on a cosistant basis but such a player would cost top dollar.

The problem is,if Benni loses his scoring touch. Roberts would not be useful, just wrestling defenders. He needs to contribute more,in terms of goals. If he gets 10 goals a season,then that would be a decent return,as long as benni or cruz hits 20 plus.

The situation is difficult.

Mccarthy and Roberts clearly have an understanding and work well together. The problem is this Roberts will consistently miss chances and we'll pay for that.

Santa Cruz is our best all round centre forward, but he seems to be thinking about his next move rather than his next goal at the moment.

Mccarthy is technically out best forward and can do things out of the blue. When he wants it he's in a different league, when he's not bothered he's a waste of time.

Derbyshire is our most enthusiastic forward. Runs all day. Great as a sub. Doesn't seem to deliver when he starts.

So where does that leave us...

Deberyshire on the bench and erm... two from three?? Not a bad problem to have.

If we could rely on Benni and JR staying fit I'd sell Santa in a heart beat.

So the question now is,after that miss can we afford to sell santa cruz? I dont think we can, and in fact we shoul look to get another quality striker in. I wonder if that was Diouf in that situation, would he have scored? Bring in Nihat Kahveci,he is my favourite striker :-)

So the question now is,after that miss can we afford to sell santa cruz? I dont think we can, and in fact we shoul look to get another quality striker in. I wonder if that was Diouf in that situation, would he have scored? Bring in Nihat Kahveci,he is my favourite striker :-)

Isnt Kahveci one of the best strikers in EUROPE, I can see him joining Rovers! :rover:

Nihat was highly rated,but i dont understand why people think he is still highly rated. He might be a very good addition, but hey we not linked with him so let me leave it at that.

Well he plays in the top league in Spain and scored 18 league goals in 25 games last year. I think he would be an outstanding addition to the squad Iceman, I simply think we have neither the clout or resources to tempt such a player.

If Cruz is fit next game I imagine we will start benni and Santa upfront if the Paraguyan is fit. Jason works hard, has bags of power and decent pace, can turn a man, holds up the ball excellently with his feet, defends from the front and run the channels well. Yet his poor finishing, poor first touch and complete lack of heading ability are very damaging.

In the longer term a new signing is the answer. However before that happens Sam needs to find a way to get Benni and Cruz to work well with each other. It sounds demeaning but Allardyce should tell Cruz to make the kind of runs that Roberts is doing now. If Cruz is willing to run the channels, drop back and defend, and link the midfiled and attack whilst benni palys point man that might work. It does mean that Cruz will have to use benni as his pivot in attack, which I think he might find difficult or not like it. But if they can work a partnership it holds great promise for the club. It is our main attacking hope at the moment anyway.

Archived