BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sunderland Preview

MCMC1875

Good run and a superb 1st touch before it though. :rover:

Definitely I wonder if he could do it again?

He does the dog work for Benni/RSC, but Sorry Roberts I wanted rid of you before this game nothings changed, last year you managed 1 in 6 the year before 1 in 5, when you could easily have hit double figures.

If you keep going at this rate you'll soon be able to bring out a bloopers video.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He does the dog work for Benni/RSC, but Sorry Roberts I wanted rid of you before this game nothings changed, last year you managed 1 in 6 the year before 1 in 5, when you could easily have hit double figures.

Not a comment to you directly majiball, but isn't it funny how when one of our players expresses a desire to leave the club we behave like a wife or girlfriend has been unfaithful to us and run off with another bloke . Yet when we want rid of a player we are merciless and pay no heed to the players feelings and emotions. In a nutshell I suppose we expect... no DEMAND loyalty but by the same token are so reluctant to give it. :rolleyes:

Definitely I wonder if he could do it again?

If you keep going at this rate you'll soon be able to bring out a bloopers video.

It's very easy to say get rid of Roberts but that's a big mistake unless there is someone better that we can replace him with. Don't forget that we've little spare cash and, being in the bottom 3, not a particularly attractive proposition to any good players who might ordinarily have been happy to join Ewood Park.

You're acting as if he wanted to miss! As for the laughing, it's quite often a defence mechanism. It's not that he thinks it's hilarious, it's a way of coping with stress or embarrassment.

At least he didn't twiddle his thumbs in the box for 90mins then blaze one over at the death. He fashioned the chance for himself and worked hard throughout. I know the end-product is what matters, but turning him into a hate figure? That's a bit harsh.

Yes the laugh is some peoples way of dealing with failure. Laugh it off ah well, what would impress me more is if he did something about it. Some on here have commented that its now three recently, hardly makes me think he's working on his finishing in training. Bolton 2 points, yesterday 2 points, we beat stoke so he can be let off that one. but thats 4 points lost.

In our position we have to make every opportunity count, imagine if we lose out by one point.

He has some fantastic attributes for a striker he's reasonably quick, strong, a bit of a battering ram, I do wonder if he's just bottling it all up, perhaps he needs some support away from the pitch. Sam go get Nesti back on your team he'll sort Roberts head out.

Now I'm not gonna make out he's the reason (Andrews also had a great chance) but we have to see some improvement from him, If Sam can get him firing I'll take my hat off because no-one has managed it yet from Roberts in the Premiership, no-one.

127 games 21 goals in the league to date.

Not a comment to you directly majiball, but isn't it funny how when one of our players expresses a desire to leave the club we behave like a wife or girlfriend has been unfaithful to us and run off with another bloke . Yet when we want rid of a player we are merciless and pay no heed to the players feelings and emotions. In a nutshell I suppose we expect... no DEMAND loyalty but by the same token are so reluctant to give it. :rolleyes:

Agree with that sentiment.

I like Roberts, he is a team player and I reckon with Big Sam's backing he will score a bag full of goals.

Yes its true, we all do it. My problem is he's not progressing, in a one on one the control is completely with the striker he makes the choice, Roberts makes poor desicions in that senario. As you said why aim for the corner when there is a open goal?

Roberts could be a double figure man easily, but he crumbles when one on one, when he has to make a choice. The sign of a good player is that the next time he is in the same situation he has learnt from last time and makes the right choice. Slotting the ball into the corner when the goal is gapping is the wrong choice.

He should be given an oppurtunity to turn it round under Sam, but if he continues in the same vein Sam will bomb him anyway.

It's very easy to say get rid of Roberts but that's a big mistake unless there is someone better that we can replace him with. Don't forget that we've little spare cash and, being in the bottom 3, not a particularly attractive proposition to any good players who might ordinarily have been happy to join Ewood Park.

Yes it is easy, and he has a lot of good attributes. But he's been here 2.5 years and he still has not hit double figures in the league for us, he's currently on 9 goals in the league in 2.5 years!

Just so you know Kuqi hit 7 in one season in the premiership.

Agree with that sentiment.

I like Roberts, he is a team player and I reckon with Big Sam's backing he will score a bag full of goals.

He seems a good bloke too but I've just seen that chance and if he can't take those there's no way he'll score a bag full. His problem is that he simply isn't good enough - he either can't trap or take a pass, or if he does he rarely finishes. He's an impact player from the bench at best. Which is why we shouldn't let RSC go UNLESS there is a quality replacement ready

Leverkussen away first few minutes... effectively knocked us out.

Watched the 60 minutes. Cameras follow the ball. What was impressive and as anti BFS I have to hold my hand up, all 11 players were moving/taking part. So much so that Sunderland got nowhere even when they got a nice move going.

For Rovers read Sunderland. I think all 22 players were at it for 93 minutes, no quarter asked or given on a soft pitch. Reid was outstanding for them but he was stifled as well a Andrews and Dunn were a handful for us.

It was a great game for the purists and both teams (and managers) deserve a lot of credit. It looked like 7th verses 8th battling for Europe not a relegation fight.

• Backroom

Yes Roberts was a bad miss and he is a poor finsher however I would still start him over Derbs. I'd say his power and pace create more chances than the rest of our strikers.

Take Stoke for example, of the 3 1 on 1's he missed (one to set up bennis goal) he made 2 of them brilliantly whereas derbs would have been easily pushed aside. He doesn't give up on the running and wins a lot of free kicks in dangerous positions.

All in all I'd have Roberts and Benni as our front 2 for tomorrow.

One thing is for sure if he does play we need to get behind him and not get on his back early.

I think that was more to do with Notsworthy coming across him rather than intentionally trying to put it in the corner.

Sorry Nosworthy may have been coming across but he had time to pick his spot hence the side foot shot. The ball is well away by the time Nosworthy slides in, its a shocking miss there is no defending it.

Highlights

Yes Roberts was a bad miss and he is a poor finsher however I would still start him over Derbs. I'd say his power and pace create more chances than the rest of our strikers.

Take Stoke for example, of the 3 1 on 1's he missed (one to set up bennis goal) he made 2 of them brilliantly whereas derbs would have been easily pushed aside.

Funny thing that. We all know Derbs is a bit lightweight and easily pushed off the ball and cut him slack accordingly, but then Bellamy and Owen are very similar and yet few can shove them around.

Roberts has to be the worst finisher in the Premier League. It's a shame because his all round game isn't bad and he uses his strength well to fashion good opportunities.

This much is true. When on song he looks impressive in all aspects but the finishing. It's too late in his career to do anything about, but maybe he can be taught to pass instead of finish when he gets himself into good positions. One on ones obviously are not best suited to stop and wait for a teammate, but other than that he canbvg.

Was at the game yesterday - first away match for a while.

A good battling performance from the lads and a draw was a fair result in the end. Neither keeper had more than a shot or two to save. Rovers had one disallowed, hit the woodwork and had to suffer that appalling miss in time added on. I haven't seen any clips of the game and don't really want to watch the miss again. Instead of just quietly putting his foot straight through the ball, he actually seemed to turn his foot at exactly 90 degrees to the goal, in an attempt to side foot it in, but obviously misjudged. In the paper this morning Sam says it bobbled and came off his leg although it didn't look like that to me. Still, as others have pointed out, if he bagged every one on one (or one on none) he wouldn't be at Ewood.

Impressive following from Rovers, probably the best ever at the Stadium of Light, albeit not particularly noisy for some reason.

Onward and upward!

This much is true. When on song he looks impressive in all aspects but the finishing. It's too late in his career to do anything about, but maybe he can be taught to pass instead of finish when he gets himself into good positions. One on ones obviously are not best suited to stop and wait for a teammate, but other than that he canbvg.

1 on 1's of which he has had two in the last 2 games, passing is not an option, he needs to learn how to shoot... even when the keepers been beaten!!! :(

Archived