BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Citeh

Paul

Guest Kamy100

Going to be a very tough game, my big worry is that Hughes and his backroom team will know the weaknesses of the players and will seek to exploit them.

However, if we play yesterday, keep things tight and close down City then I can see us beating them. Should be a great atmosphere and hope that Hughes gets a good reception as he deserves for all he did for Rovers.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely need to win this, but we have two big problems:

1) Robinhio

2) No Dunn

Dunn has been our main creative engine in the past few matches, and you really have to wonder what we'll do without him. But this just shows we need two very good midfielders in the transfer marker. Dunn, as sad as it is, is a crock and we can't rely on him.

They have so much attacking talent that we will really have to close them down...cannot really see who will be creating our chances so another 0-0 may be on the cards. I think this is really as must-not-lose game as was Sunderland.

By the time we play our next league game after this hopefully we will have a couple of new faces to shake things up a bit.

I think a defeat is on the cards but i am hoping we can sneak a draw. With Dunny out, Roque and Nelsen doubtful i do not fancy our chances at all.

I don't think Hughes will get that great a reception, his tapping up of Roque constantly in the media plus his lack of credit given towards us for taking him on and giving him the chance to manage at this level hasn't gone down well, well certainly not with me. I've lost pretty much all the respect i had for this man.

I think we can get something out of this game if we stay organised and close down their attacking players quickly.

I'd go with:

Robinson

Ooijer-Kish-Samba-Warnock

Emerton-Andrews-Vogel-Ped

Roberts-Benni

The emphasis being on Vogel sitting back and the other three closing down quickly. I would still stick with Roberts because I think it's important that we try and keep a similar team, to keep the organisation. I also think it'll help his confidence after his miss. I would also like to think that both Benni and Roberts will want to prove something to Hughes.

If I was Sam, i'd be showing the players how bad Hull were, how inconsistent City have been (West Brom), were City are in the table and reminding them how nice it would be to beat Hughes.

Tomorrow's 2pm kick offs will tell the story - we can really look to close the gap on quite a few teams if we win and they do the expected.

A win will leave us within no more than 2 goals of Boro, with them going to Old Trafford on Monday night. West Ham v Stoke and Spurs v West Brom are 6-pointers, but I think you can count on Pompey losing at the Emirates (win puts us within 3 points of them, and they're currently 11th), Sunderland (22pts) you would expect to lose at Goodison... it gets even closer.

Of course, defeat with some of the fixtures we've got coming up and it starts to look even more miserable.

And, from Allardyce's comments, Vogel won't feature any time soon.

Based on that I'd go with:

------------------- Robinson --------------------

-- Emerton -- Ooijer -- Samba -- Warnock --

Simpson -- Mokoena -- Andrews -- Pedersen

------------ McCarthy -- Roberts --------------

Subs: Santa Cruz, Derbs, Zurab, Tugay, Treacy

Purely because Emerton will (and will have to) work harder than Simpson. I've yet to see Derbs play well at right wing and I think Simpson will be more natural there. We are really down to the bones for this one. Short of putting Treacy on the left and sticking Pedersen on the right this is marginally preferable. It feels more natural - albeit with Emo and Simmo having to cover each other. Moko holding for Andrews kind of scares me but can't picture Tugay and Andrews working well together.

What a great test for big Sam to come up against a management team that knows far more about his team than he does with the exception of Inces signings.

Maybe the key will lie in Inces signings - oh dear, looking foward to giving Hughesy a good reception.

And, from Allardyce's comments, Vogel won't feature any time soon.

Based on that I'd go with:

------------------- Robinson --------------------

-- Emerton -- Ooijer -- Samba -- Warnock --

Simpson -- Mokoena -- Andrews -- Pedersen

------------ McCarthy -- Roberts --------------

Subs: Santa Cruz, Derbs, Zurab, Tugay, Treacy

Purely because Emerton will (and will have to) work harder than Simpson. I've yet to see Derbs play well at right wing and I think Simpson will be more natural there. We are really down to the bones for this one. Short of putting Treacy on the left and sticking Pedersen on the right this is marginally preferable. It feels more natural - albeit with Emo and Simmo having to cover each other. Moko holding for Andrews kind of scares me but can't picture Tugay and Andrews working well together.

that midfield scares me

Andrews & Mokoena??

*tugs collar nervously*

Probably the most likely combo. It is terrifying!

We are going to play very deep tomorrow, two banks of four sitting in our half, no forward forays by the full backs, our wingers doubling up on defensive duties with the full backs. For that reason alone I think Emerton will stay on the wing because he will work hard to close down the opposing wide man. You stick Derbyshire there and suddenly their left winger (Robinho?) has a lot more freedom.

Man City are not that good when they do not have space so Sam will look to frustrate them and try and hit them on the break I think. Biggest problem will be Elano's long range shooting.

Sort of game where I wish we had a Bellamy.

Mokoena could surprise us and have his "one in four" good game. He had one at the start of the season against Everton.... We really need it now.

If that's true hopefully Mokoena loses his sat nav and can't find the ground.

Tugay is a better option, even at 38 years old.

Personally i would play Simpson at RB and Emerton at RM, if Nelsen isn't available. Simpson is a right back after all and Emerton is.....erm, right footed.

If Benni can continue his form I think we will win. It's probably a good time to play Citeh, after their 1 big win in 5 games.

Emerton would be a decent option in the middle with his energy and craft, but we're back to that problem of 'who plays on the right?' I might be tempted to play Simpson there. He hasn't shown a lot on the overlap, but it might suit our gameplan if we sit deep and try to frustrate City.

Derbyshire & Villanueva could be key players off the bench, should City spring ahead.

Sort of game where I wish we had a Bellamy.

We were talking about that after watching MOTD on Friday. He scored two and made the third for West Ham, how I wish he was still at Ewood. According to The Times he's available for £7m, now flogging Roque for £17m and spending £7m on Bellamy would seem like an idea to me.

I think you are right. Carlos does not feature in Sam's plans.

Shame really, the fella obviously has bags of technical ability and does look like he will score when he gets a shot in. I understand Sams idea of being organised and committed which he probably doesn't think Carlos can be at this moment but beggars can't be choosers and the last time I looked, we are down to the bare bones in midfield.

I'd be tempted to give him a go today, he is one of very few creative players currently on the books. If not, he definitely should be on the bench.

Sky Sports are reporting that he's been told that he can leave in January. As for the game today, we need to win this one. Citeh are struggling as well and we have to win the games against the teams around us. We have done well in the last two games and the defence is looking much stronger. Dunn will be a big loss and I hope to see Tugay starting in his place. Another huge factor in this game should be wanting to put one over on Mark Hughes, who jumped ship and started our downward spiral. Hopefully we can put him under more pressure, he gets the sacked and we see the Blackburn curse striking again!

2-0 Rovers. Benni and Santa Cruz.

Sky Sports are reporting that he's been told that he can leave in January. As for the game today, we need to win this one. Citeh are struggling as well and we have to win the games against the teams around us. We have done well in the last two games and the defence is looking much stronger. Dunn will be a big loss and I hope to see Tugay starting in his place. Another huge factor in this game should be wanting to put one over on Mark Hughes, who jumped ship and started our downward spiral. Hopefully we can put him under more pressure, he gets the sacked and we see the Blackburn curse striking again!

2-0 Rovers. Benni and Santa Cruz.

Guardian also reporting that Villanueva has been told to look for a new club in the January transfer window

Archived