BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Player Of The Year

Stuart

sentiment definately played a part but im all for it. For a player to be on top of the game for more than 10 years is astonishing, and the fact that he never won before... he deserved this one but maybe some other players might have deserved it more (ala gerrard).

if i gave the award if would have been to:

Player of the year: Gerrard

Young player of the year: Young

Rovers player of the year: Samba

Giggs should never have got that award. What has he done to deserve it?

The fact that he's played in every PL season doesn't mean nothing. He didn't do anything to deserve that award for this season, it's based on performances and his performances haven't merited him that award. Absolute joke.

Suprised Brad didn't get an award for his consecutive appeareance record? :blink:

Player of the season for me is Vidic, Ferdinand or Alonso

Best young player...Ashley Youngs a contender, then again Stephen Ireland has been immense.

Rovers? Me seeing Emerton for last YEAR jinxed it. Samba?

We all knew that this was going to be a farce when the six man shortlist was announced - how none of Lampard, Alonso or Ireland got in is beyond me - but Giggs winning? Well that's an absolute joke.

Apart from my initial reaction of sentiment, I do wonder if it's down to the short memories of our footballing folk. Voting was done in January, right after Giggs had that purple patch of about 6 games. Probably the football electorate could think back any further than that! Question is, was the shortlist the only choice for the vote - and if so, who decided the shortlist?

Emerton has been our best player which is weird as others say as we need a more attacking threat on the right wing. His main asset has been enormous athleticsm on the right which does a lot to nullify the oppositions wide left players.

I am not comfortable with him moving to right back permanently as he is suspect in the air and does lose his position from time to time. However against certian types of teams he can be devastating from that role. In the future he could stay where he is (right wing) if we get in a much better left winger in the window instead of a right winger (thus making his lack of creativity less of a problem), or if we move him to a CM position. Problem with this latter option is that he is a "head down" player so what he would add in terms of work rate and forward runs we would lose in ball retention and vision.

He is a difficult square peg for a lot of round holes. Where he will play will come down to who we can get in during the window and whether Dunn and Grella can recover from injury. He wil be expected, as has typified his career, to fit in where we are weakest, and I am sure over the second half of the season he will play right back, central midfield and right wing again.

Bizarre that our best player is not really guaranteed a place, but it seems to work that way for the Australian.

He's not - not playing because he cant get in the team it because he is injured!! :/

but anyway emerton all the way like some others were sayin 110% everytime.. oh how we need him

Did anyone else watch the awards re-run on SKY last night? I only caught the latter part where they were handing over the trophy to Giggs. Call me soft but I thought is was a great moment when the Fron male voice choir did the live soundtrack to the video of his career highlights. What ever you think of Giggs or United, it was hair on the back of the neck stuff (well I thought so anyway!).

Archived