BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Staying In Dublin

Basically me and about 5 mates want to go to Dublin at the end of this month. We are all at Uni and so are looking to make it as cheap as possible. Does anyone have any pointers for me? Where are good places to go? Good place to stay? We are looking to fly from Manchester if that helps anyone also!!

Cheers oh mighty forum!!

I've been a couple of times, its not cheap that's for sure lol. Best bet is to stay in a hostel if you want it cheap, check out Trip Advisor for some reviews. Think there is one smack in the middle of Temple Bar, it might actually be above one of the main pubs, either the Temple Bar or John Gogharty's (sp?).

Cheers for the advice mate. Any of the Irish Rovers about with advice?

Also looking at very cheap flight e.g. Ryanair. There are choices of cheap flights which says "no taxes". Do you know what this means? Does it mean taxes aren't included? How much will it really cost then?

Try Aer Arrann from Blackpool as well as the Manchester options.

For somewhere decent to stay O'Sheas Merchant is pretty good - 60 EUR per night each but if you take triple / double rooms you should be able to talk that down to 50 or 40 each (especially this month if they're quiet).

Plus it's walking distance into Temple Bar and has it's own Irish Bar downstairs which stays open as long as residents want.

My Dad is from Dublin, my cousins live in Dublin and I go to Croke Park all the time to watch gaelic football matches. Dublin is one of those cities that is great to go to for the weekend, but no longer, so you will see the best of it. Grafton Street is the main shopping street in Dublin, and there's lots do and see there. Trinity College University is at the bottom of Grafton Street and is definitely worth a walk around. Temple Bar is where you will find all the best student bars. There are some which are stereotypically Irish, green, with leprechauns, bicycles hanging from the roof and fiddly-dee music going on in the corner! I would advise you stay away from these as they are just playing up to cliches that tourists want to see. There is a great bar called Fitzgeralds in Temple Bar where I watched the World Cup Final, I would recommend going there. It's right beside the River Liffey which is worth checking out. Another good place to go is a club called Cooper Face Jacks. It's one of the most popular student places in Dublin and is well worth going to. I'm not entirely sure where it is, but you should look it up. I would also encourage you go to Croke Park, where you can get tours and visit the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) museum and can find out about the national sports of Ireland, Gaelic Football and Hurling. Croke Park is one of the best stadiums in the world, so you may enjoy going there.

Hope this helps.

Try Aer Arrann from Blackpool as well as the Manchester options.

For somewhere decent to stay O'Sheas Merchant is pretty good - 60 EUR per night each but if you take triple / double rooms you should be able to talk that down to 50 or 40 each (especially this month if they're quiet).

Plus it's walking distance into Temple Bar and has it's own Irish Bar downstairs which stays open as long as residents want.

I think Mrs Tris (Nee Kiwiwannabe) tipped me off several years ago for a good stop in Dublin, just near the back of the Custom House on the North bank , near the bus station. Lovely arty place, Lower Gardner Street it was. Sort of half hotel, half hostel all in one. About £50 a night.

I know it is a cliche, but my god the Dubliners are friendly!

Very good pub just outside Temple Bar, on the other side of the River at the O O'Connell Street Bridge, turn left (if coming from the south/Temple Bar side). on the right, looks small form the outside but is massive.

Called something like Panama, far cheaper than temple bar - doesn't get hugely busy but a good place for afternoon beer or to start the night.

Its gonna cost you a fortune on food an drink at the moment, we have flights booked on the 19th for 2 nights but just cant afford to go - fortunately the flights totalled out at £2.42 each, return, all in. (Eat your heart out Tris ;) )

Check the address of the hostel - there are two Temple Lanes in Dublin.

The girls and I are heading to Dublin to celebrate my 30th birthday at the beginning of February. We got cheap flights and have just booked a lovely hotel in the heart of the city (well it looks posh on the pictures!) We got 3 nights for the price of 2, think we booked through ratestogo but not entirely sure.

Can't wait to go, should be a good few days. I have heard that it is mega expensive though.

Dublin is a total rip off. Ever since the economic boom hit Ireland about 10 years back, Dublin and the rest of Ireland has become almost prohibitively expensive to visit and stay. I think that behind Moscow, it's one of the most expensive cities in Europe.

The girls and I are heading to Dublin to celebrate my 30th birthday at the beginning of February. We got cheap flights and have just booked a lovely hotel in the heart of the city (well it looks posh on the pictures!) We got 3 nights for the price of 2, think we booked through ratestogo but not entirely sure.

Can't wait to go, should be a good few days. I have heard that it is mega expensive though.

Do you know which one?

I've been a couple of times and while it's an OK city, it's definitely not one I would say I like. I think it is because it has all of the dirt of a big city with very little of the charm or tall buildings.

Agreed. What brings you to our lovely city?

A plane?

What he said :lol:

My best man lives there currently, what with Ryanair charging me and the family less than the price of a return to Manchester on the train for us all to fly there its rude not to!

Do you know which one?

I've been a couple of times and while it's an OK city, it's definitely not one I would say I like. I think it is because it has all of the dirt of a big city with very little of the charm or tall buildings.

It's a Best Western one on Findlater Place off O'Connell Street.

Really hoping it is close to the centre. We are all booked and paid for.

Looking forward to going and I am sure we will have a wicked time and just come back with a little less money than we had before!!!

It's a Best Western one on Findlater Place off O'Connell Street.

Really hoping it is close to the centre. We are all booked and paid for.

Looking forward to going and I am sure we will have a wicked time and just come back with a little less money than we had before!!!

Thats up near Parnell Square - I think!

Get the 747 or 748 from the airport - directly outside the airport exit.

Stops almost outside the Gresham on O Connell, turn left and then its a 10 min walk - on the right somewhere.

Its about 10/15 mins down O connell Street to Temple Bar.

Basically me and about 5 mates want to go to Dublin at the end of this month. We are all at Uni and so are looking to make it as cheap as possible. Does anyone have any pointers for me? Where are good places to go? Good place to stay? We are looking to fly from Manchester if that helps anyone also!!

Cheers oh mighty forum!!

Better off flying to Shannon from Manchester, take in a famous Munster rugby match in Limerick, and have the craic!

You will have one or two rovers fans to show you around!

Thats up near Parnell Square - I think!

Get the 747 or 748 from the airport - directly outside the airport exit.

Stops almost outside the Gresham on O Connell, turn left and then its a 10 min walk - on the right somewhere.

Its about 10/15 mins down O connell Street to Temple Bar.

Those instructions would have be fantastic had you not started them with I think!!!

Those instructions would have be fantastic had you not started them with I think!!!

Just checked, it is where I thought it was :)

Dublin is great.

Can recommend the Quay REstuarant in Temple Bar, not cheap for main course (but dont bother with a starter - even I couldnt eat both - and for anyone who knows me they will understand how significant that is!)

The food at the top floor of the St John Gogarty is good as well - both places get VERY busy later on though and are typical tourist traps. I enjoyed them though.

Absolutely LOVE Dublin.

Archived