BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] What Do People Do?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which is why I don' believe the polls on the site are indicative of general opinion.

There are far more IT professionals on this board than in the general population.

Or more IT people use web forums than the general population?

Geeks of the world unite on BRFCS :rover:

That isn't what he said. He just said it's not representative. It's true. While we do have members who have jobs not involving IT, the fact that many people who work in IT can log on and post from work results in a greater proportion of members working in IT on this website than you would typically find down Ewood.

No it's still rubbish. If we had polls on IT related matters, or anything where the views of IT professionals might be different, then he'd have a point. But our polls revolve mainly around "Ince out" sort of stuff, for which there's no indication that being in IT would affect one's decision.

No it's still rubbish. If we had polls on IT related matters, or anything where the views of IT professionals might be different, then he'd have a point. But our polls revolve mainly around "Ince out" sort of stuff, for which there's no indication that being in IT would affect one's decision.

Again, that isn't what I said. If you took a sample of 50 from this message board, perhaps 80% would work in IT. If we took a sample from Ewood, perhaps it would be 40%.

What is to say that isn't the same for other debates. Like Ince? At least early on when opinions were fairly evenly divided. I'm not sure the overwhelming condemnation shown on here was proportional to the opinions of the Ewood crowd fairly early on. Certainly most, if not all the Rovers fans I know who don't post on here were in favour of giving him more time. (This was around 10 or so games in when the consensus was pretty split between people who posted on here and those who went on to the games).

All he was saying is that it's not a proper representation of the Rovers crowd as it only has opinions of people of a certain type, and arguably profession, with more time to check the board at breaks and so on. It's a fair comment.

It is a good point. The group is biased. People who use the Internet more on the whole have access to much more information (true or false). Therefore the decisions made on this board are going to differ from the general population. It is only representative of the people on this board. Which is why on every other professional website that has a poll it has the caveat that "this may not be representative", because it obviously isn't.

Software engineer (Ada and Python) for an international systems company.

Philipl, with this in mind you may be interested to know that Blackburn Cathedral Choir are perfoming Handel's Messiah at the Manoel Theatre , Valletta on Tuesday 17th Feb.

Yes I know thanks- Tris kindly PMed me with details a couple of months back.

Just been chatting to the organist this evening- they are also performing in the Anglican Cathedral in Valletta as well whilst they are over.

Absolutely delighted by the debut concert on Thursday given by a young Maltese soprano, Nicola Said, I have been tracking for the past four years. I got her to go to an opera academy in Rome this summer where she was immediately grabbed by some of the top American voice teachers. So she is off to Los Angeles next week-end to study for the next three to five years.

It is amazing how much talent this tiny island and its 400,000 population produces. We have two singers either side of 30 years old -a tenor, Joseph Calleja, whom I convinced will become the top tenor in the world over the next five years and another soprano, Claire Debono who is also headed for the very top and will be singing at Glyndebourne in a lead role this summer.

Hopefully Nicola will go to the very top. The last singer I took an interest in which my stepson spotted in Moscow six years ago had her major break through this year singing in major productions at Covent Garden, the New York Met and the Salzburg Summer Festival.

A young violinist we have been giving lessons and guidance to has been accepted by every music academy she has applied to and is already in her second season with the European Union Youth Orchestra at the age of 17.

Re the IT debate and the representative nature of the board, I think it is also skewed by the number of people with links to football.

However, I think the argument that the board had no statistical relationship to the broad mass of Rovers' support was null and void. We'd all have to be two-headed aliens or something for that to be true!

Bloody hell! I have come to the conclusion I have the worst job on the message board! :(

I can beat that, work at asda <_<

My HND seems not to even get me an interview anywere :mellow:

Although my job at the moment is extremely safe

For Mr Football Manager Buckyrover's benefit, I have been working in interactive mutimedia since it was based on LP-sized laserdiscs and 286 PCs back in 1990.

I have helped build up and float an interactive multimedia company on Nasdaq. I have lectured on interactive multimedia at one of the world's top ten business schools and co-authored papers on cognitive theory and interactive multimedia with Professors at five Universities across Europe.

And I am still involved in interactive multimedia today.

And sadly I was right about Ince.

For Mr Football Manager Buckyrover's benefit, I have been working in interactive mutimedia since it was based on LP-sized laserdiscs and 286 PCs back in 1990.

That brings back memories. My mum used to teach English as a home tutor in Hong Kong, and I kept this Japanese woman's son entertained by watching Ultraman on Laser disc. My family had a fake IBM 286 as well-our first computer. Golden arcade in Sham Shui Po was great for that sort of thing.

....and yet now you reside in Malta.

How the mighty have fallen :P

Enjoying the sun, the lifestyle, the flexibility and soon the advantages of the Smart City complex, the Dubai offshoot's base in Europe.

If you really understood interactive multimedia, you would understand that it has to a reasonable extent made physical location of work comparatively unimportant.

I would not expect you to underestimate the human necessity for personal, face-to-face interaction.

I would guess that very few major business deals will be done remotely. For example, many of the collapsed US finance companies signed deals in London.

I have been to Malta a couple of times. I stayed in Gozo. It was a lovely place the last time I was there (1999). But a couple of months ago I read an article on Malta/Gozo and it said that it had been overrun by immigrant homosexual deviants (I swear this is not a lie, although being the Mail I guess that most would believe me). Is this true?

Anyway, I guess I am bleating again. :)

I have been to Malta a couple of times. I stayed in Gozo. It was a lovely place the last time I was there (1999). But a couple of months ago I read an article on Malta/Gozo and it said that it had been overrun by immigrant homosexual deviants....... Is this true?

Careful........ Philip's an immigrant in Malta. :unsure:

I have helped build up and float an interactive multimedia company on Nasdaq. I have lectured on interactive multimedia at one of the world's top ten business schools and co-authored papers on cognitive theory and interactive multimedia with Professors at five Universities across Europe.

And I am still involved in interactive multimedia today.

And sadly I was right about Ince.

I've got to say that's not a bad cv for a part timer.

Retired for the last 3.5 years, but before that I was Group HR Manager for a utility company. Preston Blue and I sat opposite each other on consultative committees for a few years! Now I'm a househusband, do some free consultancy work for arts organisations, fundraise for the charity WaterAid, am secretary of Rovers Fans Forum and tryu and get on my canal boat as much as possible.

Who for Clare??

Which software is it you use, mapinfo?

A housing association based in Preston.

Nup, I use Cadcorp at work which I don't really like but I tolerate it.

For any other stuff I use ArcGIS and a combination of google/ArcGIS API for web-based stuff. I don't mind MapInfo though.

I have a good job as mentioned earlier but i am bored. Anyone know of any decent ones around the North West? Would love to get into computers, programming, web, CAD or Construction (which i work in now but want to be a QS or Estimator) I am a jack of all trades but master of none. :(

Willing to start from the bottom.

A housing association based in Preston.

Nup, I use Cadcorp at work which I don't really like but I tolerate it.

For any other stuff I use ArcGIS and a combination of google/ArcGIS API for web-based stuff. I don't mind MapInfo though.

What sort of salaries are knocking around for GIS type people?? Just want to make sure im getting my value ha ha!!

Is mapInfo a good one or is it crap compared to those you mentioned??

• 3 weeks later...

Retired now but I was an Environmental Health Officer dealing with "Life of grime" matters; rats, rubbish, dirty houses and drain/sewer problems.

If anyone wants advice, especially on drainage matters, I may be able to help.

Archived