BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Todays Game Off

Gav

Exactly my thoughts. Was on the hammersmith flyover when I heard. According to 'talk sport' undersoil heating costs a mere £300,000, and is a mandatory requirement in the Scottish Premier League. Why not in England?

The requirement in the Premier League is, undersoil heating or another suitable device (wording not correct) approved by the Premier League Board.

Some pitch covers work up to a point of about minus 3.

No idea what Fulham have though.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we play Fulham when we have a couple of new signings, and Dunn and other are back from injury it might work out in our favour.

The most sensible post (yet even though it's from an unlikely source).

Our best wish would be to play no games at all in January in order for new signings / injured players to get fully integrated into the club and the team.

ok, its a load of Bo****ks, but the rule is as long as you can protect the pitch to -3 its ok to use whatever system you want!

Its ###### for the pepole that went there on coaches or got hotel rooms for the weekend, not gonna get there money back on that one! (they bloodey well should)

i do belive we were one of the fist club's, if not the first to get underground heating on our pitch. something to be proud of.

This is nobody's fault but Fulham's. They should have had the pitch inspected five hours before KO.

When they looked under the covers 5 hours before it passed.

When they took the coves off, the surface moisture froze and some of it permeated in a small area freezing the ground solid. The fear was that if that could happen in under an hour, what was it going to be like after two and half hours at kick off andf four and a half hours at full time.

That's how I read it.

Hopefully this will lead to undersoil heating being made mandatory for all PL grounds now.

Even undersoil heating is not foolproof- Rovers had one postponement when a pipe broke and one postponement when the Police adjudged the surrounding streets to be so icey as to be unsafe to have 20,000+ people going to/from the ground.

Nightmare that it was called off so late. As well with regards to drinking, at least the football usually breaks it up. Could be feeling better today after continuous drinking from midday onwards!

At least the results went out way yesterday.

I remember this, where we not told the equator would move north and england would become the new Mediterranean??? More political drivel.

No, the Gulf Stream would weaken and the UK would get a winter climate more appropriate to its northerly lattitude- sometimes very cold. Summers to be Mediterranean hot and dry.

I hate Styles as much as the next person, but I would assume the ref has jurisdiction only up to a certain point before the match begins. I'm not sure how it works in the premier league, but in America, generally the refs only have jurisdiction of whether a game happens up to X amount of time before a match. Before then, it's up to the team's management themselves. If this is indeed the case in the premiership, then that would also explain Styles doing his inspection when he did because that's when he has the authority to make a call on the game. Before then it would be up to the Fulham staff.

No football team in the UK has the authority to call a game off without the final consent of a highly qualified referee' Rovers in America' this is to prevent any unfair goings on occuring with the exception of the police and local authority on health and safety issues. Its all about neutrality and ensuring a fair outcome.

Rob Styles would have been in contact with the Fulhams secretary through the week about the fixture. As the Fulham staff took the covers off early in the morning they would have all been watching the weather forcasts not only on the saturday morning but in the days leading up to the game. Styles made the right call just a pity temperatures dropped so dramatically the timing was unfortunate.

The only blame that can be apportioned is to Fulham football club for not having undersoil heating.

I remember this, where we not told the equator would move north and england would become the new Mediterranean??? More political drivel.

I think you'll find that ON AVERAGE over the last 100 years or more temperatures are rising significantly. But Ewood in winter will still feel sub Arctic!

Didn't Rob Styles say the Met office had forecast temperatures to drop even further in the afternoon?

It did feel very cold walking over Putney Bridge to the pub at 1 o'clock but felt significantly warmer making the reverse journey at 3. :rolleyes:

No, the Gulf Stream would weaken and the UK would get a winter climate more appropriate to its northerly lattitude- sometimes very cold. Summers to be Mediterranean hot and dry.

Worst case scanario........ That gulf stream must only weaken in winter then and strengthen in summer..... It's bloody donkeys years since we've had a hot dry summer. Just the opposite in fact with the past two years providing record rainfall levels for July and August.

Worst case scanario........ That gulf stream must only weaken in winter then and strengthen in summer..... It's bloody donkeys years since we've had a hot dry summer. Just the opposite in fact with the past two years providing record rainfall levels for July and August.

No just weakens meaning a shift in the percentage of winds coming from the continent.

The most sensible post (yet even though it's from an unlikely source).

Our best wish would be to play no games at all in January in order for new signings / injured players to get fully integrated into the club and the team.

Other than you wanting the club to dissolve into an unworkable and unwanted Lancashire-wide glorying hunting project, we tend to agree on most footballing things. It's just your views on all other matters, which are firmly rooted in the first half of the C20th (and I'm being kind), that let you down.

Shame really.

No football team in the UK has the authority to call a game off without the final consent of a highly qualified referee' Rovers in America' this is to prevent any unfair goings on occuring with the exception of the police and local authority on health and safety issues. Its all about neutrality and ensuring a fair outcome.

Rob Styles would have been in contact with the Fulhams secretary through the week about the fixture. As the Fulham staff took the covers off early in the morning they would have all been watching the weather forcasts not only on the saturday morning but in the days leading up to the game. Styles made the right call just a pity temperatures dropped so dramatically the timing was unfortunate.

The only blame that can be apportioned is to Fulham football club for not having undersoil heating.

Actually, I guess baseball over here is about the only sport that teams have much authority to cancel. American football they play in any type of weather, and hockey and basketball would only get canceled in the event of a blackout or some other city type event. Baseball though teams have no incentive to cancel there otherwise it just creates the need to play doubleheaders or wreck travel schedules.

Actually, I guess baseball over here is about the only sport that teams have much authority to cancel. American football they play in any type of weather, and hockey and basketball would only get canceled in the event of a blackout or some other city type event. Baseball though teams have no incentive to cancel there otherwise it just creates the need to play doubleheaders or wreck travel schedules.

But don't you play all your pro sports on 100% artificial surfaces?

American games are ground-based in any sense. They are all played in mid-air from what I can see.

But don't you play all your pro sports on 100% artificial surfaces?

American games are ground-based in any sense. They are all played in mid-air from what I can see.

Not all. I think 20/32 of the NFL teams have artificial turf.

That's what they changed it to after the first prediction failed to come through.

The latest was that temperatures will be dropping in the next 5 years, but that will just be masking global warming (of course, getting colder can't mean that we just have cyclical weather patterns).

Other than you wanting the club to dissolve into an unworkable and unwanted Lancashire-wide glorying hunting project, we tend to agree on most footballing things. It's just your views on all other matters, which are firmly rooted in the first half of the C20th (and I'm being kind), that let you down.

Shame really.

"2 world wars and a world cup too Doo Dah, doo Dah"....... err what have we done in your bit? :P

Archived