BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle United Preview

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel strangely unexcited at the prospect of this match, I used to look forward to the Newcastle game but not this season. A win should see us climb out of the relegation zone which would be great for morale.

This lady doesnt't like Sam: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/20...nited-blackburn

Insert link doesn't appear to be working

The irony is obviously lost on Newcastle that firing Big Sam because he liked to play long ball football so who do they hire? The man who CREATED the long ball at Wimbledon, take a bow Joe Kinnear! :rolleyes:

Big Sam was NOT given a chance at Newcastle, look at the FACTS his win/loss record is BETTER than Keegan and Kinnear, Geordies are certainly blind when they want to be.

I feel strangely unexcited at the prospect of this match, I used to look forward to the Newcastle game but not this season. A win should see us climb out of the relegation zone which would be great for morale.

This lady doesnt't like Sam: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/20...nited-blackburn

Insert link doesn't appear to be working

31,000 for a non-televised cup replay suggests that many Toon fans share your relative apathy.

I love the last line of that article: "With Allardyce at the helm there was no hope of a Newcastle re-birth." - um, when is there going to be a Newcastle Rebirth? Save for three seasons under Sir Bobby they have been rubbish for over a decade despite spending vast quantities of money on pretty decent players.

This is a big one for Sam, no mistake, and we do seem to have a very solid squad. I doubt Dunn and Cruz will start but having those options on the bench is very useful. Dunn will give his all (although more than likely injure himself in the process), Roque it is harder to judge. He seems a decent sort and probabaly would like to have a game, and must know that a good performance can only improve his hand no matter what happens. On the other hand he could just not have his head on right at the moment due to the upheaval and play like a kipper.

Big thing for me is we will probabaly see Grella get a full outing. I want to see what he is capable of. The other point of real interest is whether McCarthy and Roberts can keep up their renaissance. They currently look a very good duo, the equal of many forward partnerships in the Premiership. McCarthy is now managing to consistently get the ball in areas where he can hurt the opposition (in and on the edge of the penalty box) and Roberts does the work of two men (it seems like he is both in midfield and up front sometimes) and is doing a good line in layoffs and turns that - rather clumsily yet effectively - emulate the South African

Team:

--------------McCarthy

---------------Roberts

-Pedersen---Andrews---Emerton

----------------Grella

Warnock--Nelsen--Samba--Ooijer

------------- Robinson

Subs: Bunn, Kishi, Simpson, Tugay, Dunn, Cruz, Derbyshire (good bench...!)

Not sure why people are uninspired by the game? The stakes are high - Sam's reputation, two team in a relegation dog fight. Plus we have looked very decent recently. Lets beat them whilst playing some good passing stuff!

Setup for a cracking game.

Like I said earlier, if we did happen to lose this one I still think we can recover so it wouldn't be the end of the world, but on the other hand if we can get a win then it would be a great way to start the new year and really get us moving in the right direction.

With so long without a league game I think the players will be itching to go and prove themselves once again, Benni and MGP to step up to the plate, 2-1 Rovers!

Come on boys!

Surprised that Grella doesnt make it having had another 2 weeks worth of training under him.

Also might have been unnoticed but Mark Bunn has broken through today...place on the bench.

I think after the played against Blyth as well it looks like Bunn is our new number 2, shame for Brown in a way who never did a lot wrong but Bunn does look good and has a great potential. Brown might well leave before the end of the window.

This is really a must-win for us tonight, wba is playing boro and spurs is playing portsmouth and i have a feeling they'll both win so if we don't win, it could see us fall further back and potentially demoralize the team if we're last....

Archived