BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gaël Givet

Yesterday French defender Gaël Givet has signed on a 6-month loan from Marseille with a view to a permanent deal at the end of the season.

After reading about him on Wikipedia, I'm still left with knowing very little about him.

Can anyone share what sort of player he is and maybe a comparison to a current Premier League player?

I'm wondering why he hasn't been playing for Marseille when he supposedly has a pretty good reputation as a player. Anyone know why?

I think the most important thing is that we Givet him a chance...... :D

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A strange fall from grace, it would seem - he went from Monaco captain and loyal servant, to signing for Marseille in summer 2007 for a whopping £5.6 million (per Skysports) and now finds himself unwanted by a club who recently signed Tyrone Mears.

Perhaps, his wages were exorbitant, hence the readiness to get rid. He's definitely not coming here in the prime of his form - obviously.

Despite that, I suspect that he'll be pricey - especially if we make the deal permanent.

A strange fall from grace, it would seem - he went from Monaco captain and loyal servant, to signing for Marseille in summer 2007 for a whopping £5.6 million (per Skysports) and now finds himself unwanted by a club who recently signed Tyrone Mears.

Perhaps, his wages were exorbitant, hence the readiness to get rid. He's definitely not coming here in the prime of his form - obviously.

Despite that, I suspect that he'll be pricey - especially if we make the deal permanent.

It was a fall out with the manager that prompted him to sign for Rovers. Not that he wasn't good enough for Marseille. Maybe we have a real coup here if he can play to hios potential. Then again, we thought we had that in Villanueva :rolleyes:

He's strong, decent pace, good positioning. He fell out with the management at Marseille, but he is fairly well respected in France. I don't know who I'd compare him to in the premiership.

As for how you say his name, the G makes a sound similar to a j when you say "je" in french and the vet comes out as "vay". I can't quite figure out how to expalin it but je'ee-vay.

He's strong, decent pace, good positioning. He fell out with the management at Marseille, but he is fairly well respected in France. I don't know who I'd compare him to in the premiership.

As for how you say his name, the G makes a sound similar to a j when you say "je" in french and the vet comes out as "vay". I can't quite figure out how to expalin it but je'ee-vay.

Have you seen him play recently Eddie??

I'm told he maybe lacking physhically but can play, bit like Ooijer, but younger. Love the phonetic French lesson.

No one has seen him play recently, he hasn't come on at all this season. He'll be fine when it comes to the physical side of the game, it will just take him a while to get up to match speed.

Sorry I know he hasn't played due to his bust up, but I haven't seen him at all since monaco's cup run. So was wondering if you had and if so how he got on?

Pace wise quick as Samba or nearer to Ooijer?

I've seen him play for France and Marseille and was doing pretty well. I have some friends who support Marseille and they think he is a good player and one they wouldn't really like to see sold, but obviously he's of no use to them in the current situation.

Based on what I've seen I wouldn't expect him to take the league by storm; however, he's a solid defender and if he has to fill in at left-back or centreback he'll do a job, that is for sure. Logically I'd say it pretty much spells the end for either Zurab or Ooijer.

Faster than Ooijer, but wouldn't describe him as fast. He's a fairly mobile defender, so he won't look out of place in the league, but I wouldn't want to see him in a footrace with Owen if he isn't well positioned.

I've seen him play for France and Marseille and was doing pretty well. I have some friends who support Marseille and they think he is a good player and one they wouldn't really like to see sold, but obviously he's of no use to them in the current situation.

Based on what I've seen I wouldn't expect him to take the league by storm; however, he's a solid defender and if he has to fill in at left-back or centreback he'll do a job, that is for sure. Logically I'd say it pretty much spells the end for either Zurab or Ooijer.

Faster than Ooijer, but wouldn't describe him as fast. He's a fairly mobile defender, so he won't look out of place in the league, but I wouldn't want to see him in a footrace with Owen if he isn't well positioned.

I'd be quite happy to see us with a left and right foot pairing at the back, better balance and our play down the left will improve. Providing he cuts it off course looking forward to seeing him in action.

Nice to finally sign a player who has a good chance of making the grade.

I'd have to say no at this point. Nelsen is our captain and so likely to stay in and Samba, despite being a liability at times, has the makings of a good defender. If Warnock is moved back to midfield then I think Givet would get the nod at leftback, but for the moment I'd expect him to be a substitute.

I wonder if the idea of signing him is partly to move Warnock into midfield. Sam isn't really much of a fan of rampaging full backs, instead liking to try and maintain the shape of the side. Plus with Andrews being average, and Dunn always being injured - and the fact we don't seem to be looking to sign central players - and Warnock doing a very good job when he did move into that "Savage" role, it seems logical.

I would certainly go for Warnock in central midfield over Andrews. A midfield quartet of Pedersen, Emerton, Grella and Warnock would be the hardest working and most physical in the league.

Since Ooijers staying till the end of the year, him and Givet give us two options at full back that are far more defensive than our current options. We have some tricky away games and I can see those two being played with Nelsen and Samba in the middle. They'll be tight and compact and the four of them will have a good chance of protecting the box.

As for Warnock he's had some right poor games this year but then again Ince did do the hokey cokey with him. I think we'll see Warnock more often than not at left back, but what of Olsson? He's not ready yet but he must play first team football, provided Givet's OK I'd like to see him go to the championship for a few months. Perhaps move him up to left midfield (done well there before and he's quicker than Morten) and send treacy out on loan.

Archived