BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gaël Givet

I think for the moment Givet will have the current backline looking over their shoulders. Nelsen, Samba, and Warnock all know if they slip-up they'll be a worthy replacement waiting in the wings.

I think that's the key here Topman, he's there for now to put pressure on the current defenders, they know that there is a capable player ready to come in if they don't up their performances.

At the end of the day we've conceded a lot of goals this season, that can't all be down to Winterburn and Ince, some of them haven't been doing their job properley.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be interesting to hear the reports on him from the Reserves game. Wonder if he'll join Berner in rover6's hall of fame of players denying youngsters a chance?

All top flight clubs have 5 front line central defenders so numerically Givet is replacing Henchoz- a few months late.

Interestingly he would have played against Benni in the 2004 Champions League Final but ended up on the losing side.

Will be interesting to hear the reports on him from the Reserves game. Wonder if he'll join Berner in rover6's hall of fame of players denying youngsters a chance?

Answer: No.

Reasons:

(i) He is not a reject of FC Basel or Switzerland but a French international whose career has stagnated but is still relatively young.

(ii) We have no promising central defenders left at the club, by all reports, for him to block. All that we have left in those shadowy recesses where emaciated reservelings hide are Dean Winnard and Johnny Flynn, as far as I can recall.

(iii) Even if he displaces Olsson as back-up left back, it'll be fair considering Olsson's patchy showings. If Givet does well, then on meritocratic planes of evaluation (on merit) he'd deserve to stay in the team.

I doubt that he'll be made to look like a fool by Michael Mifsud. And also, I doubt that, if he does leave us in a year's time, he'll go cap in hand to Championship sides, seeking a contract, eventually being taken in by a generous League 1 side.

(That said, it seems that Berner's established himself in Leicester's upwards drive. Well done to him.)

On the evidence of last night Givet looks some way off being match fit. He looked like a player who has not played a serious match for six months. I suspect he will need a week or two to build up his fitness levels before he makes the first team in a League match but I would think he will be on the bench fairly soon. It was difficult to judge him last night as the conditions were so poor and the Reserve League is not the best of environments for established players.

I suspect that he may play part of the FA Cup match at Sunderland as Sam will not want to risk established players with the Bolton game on the horizon. Indeed, I would think that a number of those who played last night might be on duty on Saturday.

On the evidence of last night Givet looks some way off being match fit. He looked like a player who has not played a serious match for six months. I suspect he will need a week or two to build up his fitness levels before he makes the first team in a League match but I would think he will be on the bench fairly soon. It was difficult to judge him last night as the conditions were so poor and the Reserve League is not the best of environments for established players.

I suspect that he may play part of the FA Cup match at Sunderland as Sam will not want to risk established players with the Bolton game on the horizon. Indeed, I would think that a number of those who played last night might be on duty on Saturday.

I'd go along with that parsonblue, though on first impressions he didnt stand out, certainly had me thinking about nicko and his B list regarding the quality of free transfers of which both him and Blackman seemed to fall into.

blackman is an allardyce signing

He arrived physically, during the Allardyce reign.

But, the agreement was made whilst Ince sat on the throne and cast his golden staff around the Rovers realm. (A bit like the agreements for Nolan and Peter to leave).

Ince gave Blackman his professional debut at Macclesfield.

I'd go along with that parsonblue, though on first impressions he didnt stand out, certainly had me thinking about nicko and his B list regarding the quality of free transfers of which both him and Blackman seemed to fall into.

i don't think anybody would stand out in the conditions the match was played in last night, considering he has not played a lot of games recentley i think he did ok and did not do anything wrong.

The important thing is that we've got him on loan with an option to buy. If it looks like he'll do the business come the end of the season then snap him up as we'll have a player with a good reputation at the club. If he doesn't do it then we'll know not to spend silly money on a player and buy me instead. It's a win win for Rovers.

Givet glad to leave France

"I have settled well into the Blackburn fold," Givet told L'Equipe.

"My only worry is that I will need time to adapt before playing games.

"But Blackburn is the place I wanted to come. I had already played for Monaco and Marseille so I didn't want to stay in France, except maybe Lyon.

Relief

"When the opportunity arrived I didn't hesitate in saying yes to Blackburn.

"Leaving Marseille is a relief because I wasn't playing. I still don't understand what happened. I never got a chance.

"I could be bitter against those people that didn't explain things to me, but that is not the case. I just have mixed feelings about Marseille. Considering what happened, I don't think about Marseille anymore.

"I have been loaned to Blackburn with the option for them to buy me. I still have two years left on my contract at Marseille, though, so you never know what could happen."

• 3 weeks later...
  • Backroom

After seeing Givet in the last two cup games I think we need to find a place in the team for this lad, looks a class act all round.

Could either he or Warnock fill the troublesome right back slot?

Hope we can make this deal permanent.

After seeing Givet in the last two cup games I think we need to find a place in the team for this lad, looks a class act all round.

Could either he or Warnock fill the troublesome right back slot?

Hope we can make this deal permanent.

Like most times I agree with what you're saying TCO. Givet was our best player today for mine, totally rock solid, best tackler in the team, positionally he's very aware and he rarely lets his man beat him.

I'd have to say that on form he's above Warnock for that left back spot now. Yes it's only 2 or 3 games but he's not put a foot wrong. If one of them has to go to right back then maybe it should be Warnock, he can't be much worse than Simpson and he's quicker than Ooijer (who let's face it, is also not an RB either).

If we don't make this deal permanent I will be p***ed off.

warnock in midfield seems the very obvious choice.

diouf--------dunn---------warnock--------(pedersen/treacy)

that looks a better midfield than we've fielded all season, pace, energy creativeness.

treacy looked suprisingly good when he came on today, very direct lot of running.

Archived