BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gaël Givet

Samba wants Givet signing

Big Samba has thrown his weight behind the arguement that Givet should be signed on a permanent deal in the summer.

The £3m fee is mentioned again - and to me that seems like a bargain.

I do however wonder where Sam see's him play because in another article he has mentioned that in the long term he does see Warnock as a left back. If we sign him - it leaves us with - Givet, Samba, Nelsen, Warnock, Olsson, Zurab & Emerton. - Is that enough for the back-line?

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Givet must be signed. No real weaknesses, fully committed, cracking tackle, a proper no-nonsense defender, and the right age too.

Apparently he can play at centre back too, which based on his performances I've seen and read of this season I don't doubt, so would be highly useful to have both for the lb slot and cover for the cb positions - especially as we'll loose Ooijer as well. Also the idea of Olsson as cover for lb is pretty unappealing to say the least.

Given the dire straits of our central midfield I doubt Warnock will be moving back to left back any time soon, making it all academic who takes the lb slot. Warnock's move back would be dependant on having 2 quality central midfielders who are fit - and I doubt either Dunn or Grella will step up to the mark on that score. Funds will probably mean we can only bring in once centre mid, so that still leaves a second position going, and with other positions needing strengthening also, I doubt we'll have funds for a second cm.

Samba wants Givet signing

Big Samba has thrown his weight behind the arguement that Givet should be signed on a permanent deal in the summer.

I do however wonder where Sam see's him play because in another article he has mentioned that in the long term he does see Warnock as a left back. If we sign him - it leaves us with - Givet, Samba, Nelsen, Warnock, Olsson, Zurab & Emerton. - Is that enough for the back-line?

Givet and Samba has to be our starting central defenders for next season. At the moment our midfield is appauling so I dont mind warnock playing there just now, but his best position is left back. Get givet signed right now for three million it's an absolute bargin for a defender of his quality.

We need to sign a right-back in the summer, I've seen us linked to that whitebread lad from millwall!

New RB-Samba-Givet-Warnock

Emerton-Zurab-Nelson-Ollson

Sorted, the midfield needs major surgery though!

Actually it's the fee which is putting me off. £3 million is a lot for us to spend on a full-back, we have bigger problems in more important areas and that's a sizeable chunk of our budget.

For £3 million we could probably buy a decent central midfielder, put Warnock at left back and arguably be stronger than Givet there and Warnock in midfield.

Actually it's the fee which is putting me off. £3 million is a lot for us to spend on a full-back

Build from the back, thats what they say and anyway, the likes of Givet at a quality price don't come along very often. Not just a full-back either.

I think Givet will struggle for pace at full back against decent opposition.

His favoured position, apparently, is centre back and I think he'd make a marvellous centre back partner for Samba. On paper, it could be one of the best we've had in over a decade.

Actually it's the fee which is putting me off. £3 million is a lot for us to spend on a full-back, we have bigger problems in more important areas and that's a sizeable chunk of our budget.

For £3 million we could probably buy a decent central midfielder, put Warnock at left back and arguably be stronger than Givet there and Warnock in midfield.

Do you not envisage Givet eventually playing Centre Back with Warnock moving back to where he should be?

Do you not envisage Givet eventually playing Centre Back with Warnock moving back to where he should be?

There's not much wrong with Nelsen and Samba really, the latter especially. Having said that, I'd be happy with him replacing Nelsen but I just can't see him being dropped on a permanent basis.

Think i read somewhere that Givet played for France when he was younger? if so then £3m for a French international to me sounds a good deal especially if he can get back to the form that got him selected for France in the first place.Totally agree that his best position looks to be as centre-half though.I hope that he wants to sign for Rovers permenantly when his loan spell finishes.

Think i read somewhere that Givet played for France when he was younger? if so then £3m for a French international to me sounds a good deal especially if he can get back to the form that got him selected for France in the first place.Totally agree that his best position looks to be as centre-half though.I hope that he wants to sign for Rovers permenantly when his loan spell finishes.

He was never exactly a permanent fixture in the side. He's a good player, but I too would want to see the fee drop slightly. We also need to remember that we are buying him from a club where he was rotting away and unused; it would be like us selling someone Jason Brown or Mokoena for a couple million. He's a player who could do a good job for our team, but if we have very limited finances then he isn't exactly filling a priority spot and the money should be used elsewhere. He'll also be a relatively high wage earner, meaning that if he isn't pretty much certain of a spot in the starting team then maybe he is a luxury we can't afford given the other areas of weakness in our side.

Pretty scary if the club has to haggle over £3m for a promising defender. :blink:

No, agree with Hughsie it is sensible. But if I was Marseilles and somebody tried to reduce an already agreed transfer fee then I would sell to another club. Hopefully Theno is right and the Euro will weaken and then, if the deal was in Euros, the price will cheapen.

It will be interesting to see what budget Sam has this summer and I can see Givet signing perminently as a barometer. If he signs then I can see some reinvestment coming. Givet returning to Marseilles and I'm afraid no money to be spent.

If they were willing to accept £1.75m only 6 months ago then surely we can get him cheaper than £3m anyway - 1 less year on his contract and a greater desire from the player to leave now too.

Id like to see him replace Nelsen in our team, but that just isnt going to happen.

I think I agree mate. Whilst Warnock has done a good job in the 2nd half of the season, he is also a very good option to raise cash, wthout weakening our side (if we sign Givet).

Im worried a big offer is coming for Samba though.

• 1 month later...
A 'must buy' for Sam this Summer.

Agreed, but just remember the admiral has been our best defender by light years since Christmas, and is an outstanding club captain. No right minded manager will replace him for a while yet. He ain't finished yet peeps. Thought he was awesome today against Englands finest 6'7" target man (what would young Chrissie be worth if he was English?)

Archived