BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gaël Givet

You can never have too many good players. And we don't have too many left to start with.

Sign him up.

My only worry is that you can't really leave out Emerton/Samba/ Nelsen (post Ince form) or Warnock so where's he going to play?

Wonder if Sam will will decide the 3 or 4m is more urgently needed in other areas of the side? Hope not, it would be a big loss.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Givet and Samba is the future. Nelsen has been poor at times over the last couple of years and is only going to get worse. Here's a chance to replace him with an excellent, versatile defender.

Givet and Samba is the future. Nelsen has been poor at times over the last couple of years and is only going to get worse. Here's a chance to replace him with an excellent, versatile defender.

Couldn't agree more. For me Nelsen would have to be third choice but who knows, Sam may see that as unnecessary or harsh.

Keeping hold of Samba might be a different matter though.

I thought that Nelsen has been outstanding over the past few weeks. He has looked to be back to his best. I agree that Givet should be signed, but I wouldn't expect him to replace Nelsen at the moment. I think much will depend on who leaves the Rovers. If Sam has to raise funds to bring players it may well be a case of selling those who will bring the largest fees.

If Sam has to raise funds to bring players it may well be a case of selling those who will bring the largest fees.

This has been already discussed briefly in relation to a potential Warnock/Givet swap but voluntarily selling our best players simply to bring in others will surely be self defeating.

Getting rid of a lot of deadwood and bringing in a couple of better players is surely the only way to achieve real improvement.

I don't necessarily include RSC in that because it now seems his heart is not really in playing for us. Nevertheless if the bidding went down to say 7 or 8m I'd rather keep him.

You can never have too many good players. And we don't have too many left to start with.

Sign him up.

My only worry is that you can't really leave out Emerton/Samba/ Nelsen (post Ince form) or Warnock so where's he going to play?

Wonder if Sam will will decide the 3 or 4m is more urgently needed in other areas of the side? Hope not, it would be a big loss.

You need at least 3 centre halves during the course of the season at least. With ooijer and (thankfully) Mokoana moving on then having Samba, Nelson and Givet would only be adequate in my eyes. Besides I can see us throwing Samba forward more than we would like to admit next season, especially when chasing a game. I don't think he really fancies Zurab although to be fair to the Croatian he does a good job as a squad player and doesn't complain as much as some would.

You need at least 3 centre halves during the course of the season at least. With ooijer and (thankfully) Mokoana moving on then having Samba, Nelson and Givet would only be adequate in my eyes. Besides I can see us throwing Samba forward more than we would like to admit next season, especially when chasing a game. I don't think he really fancies Zurab although to be fair to the Croatian he does a good job as a squad player and doesn't complain as much as some would.

Zurab is Georgian.

I would move on Ooijer, Zurab, and Mokoena, and bring Gavin Gunning as the fourth centre-back.

Agreed again, Ooijer is moving on so Givet should be viewed as his replacement within the squad. No more no less. Where you play them all after that is a nice selection headache for the manager.

As regards Zurab, I quite like him, and you could probably argue he's been unlucky to be overlooked as much as he has, but surely there comes a time when you have to freshen things up as much for the player's own benefit as the Club's.

I thought that Nelsen has been outstanding over the past few weeks. He has looked to be back to his best. I agree that Givet should be signed, but I wouldn't expect him to replace Nelsen at the moment. I think much will depend on who leaves the Rovers. If Sam has to raise funds to bring players it may well be a case of selling those who will bring the largest fees.

I reckon Nelsen has been superb for the last few months Parsonblue. Can't think of a reason why though. :glare:

Nelsen has been back to his best but, as I've said elsewhere, how much is due to Givet being able to read games well and get on with his job most of the time without needing to be organised by someone else, allowing Nelsen to concentrate more on his own game rather than always having to organise his partner. We need good versatile players if the smaller squad of 18 that allardyce spoke about is going to be possible. Givet, like Samba and Warnock, can if necessary fill in in positions other than their preferred one. therefore i'd like to see all 3 staying here next year. And if you want to do the banner in French it's restez ici/à Ewood/ avec nous

stay here/at Ewood/with us

Gone: Vogel, Simpson

Going anyway: Mokoena, Tugay, Ooijer

Likely to be going: Gallagher, RSC, Fielding

Could go/ Could stay: Derbs, Judge, Villanueva, Givet

Others to consider: Rigters, Bunn, Brown, Zurab, Andrews, Reid

Other than the above 18 players - we should leave the rest of the squad alone for now.

We need to add better quality to our midfield & add some pace.

I reckon Nelsen has been superb for the last few months Parsonblue. Can't think of a reason why though. :glare:

It looks like he is injury free now, and has had his longest run of games for some time.

Nelsen has been back to his best since Sam has come in and he has been superb as captain leading the team. Samba is in my opinion our best centre back and the one with the most potential, very young as a centre back and plenty of years to develop into a possible world class player. Givet has done a great job on loan, versatile as he can play left back and centre back and you can see why he has played at international level for France.

It’s going to be a dilemma (a good one to have) for Sam next season if Givet ends up staying.

With Deschamps being the new Marseille boss there’s a good chance that Givet might end up going back though as he has managed him before and reportedly rates him.

Me and Baz were talking about, whether or not, we would pay £4m for Givet. We both thought that was too much - and to be honest, I didn't really rate him as a left back. Defensively yes, he's excellent - but he offers absolutely nothing in an attacking sense. I also thought he was a bit on the small side for a centre half.

Got to say though, he was excellent defensively again, against [a rather poor] Portsmouth. He's a good player, but not sure whether he's worth that kind of money when we are so short in other positions? If money was no object, then I would snap him up.

Completely agree with you on that Den.

For me (assuming Roque goes), we buy a new striker and two new midfielders first. Then, if we have enough money left, we can think about making Givet's deal permanent. He's definitely not the priority for the summer though.

Zurab has shown consistently that he's more than good enough if called up, I don't think we'd be much weaker for promoting him up the squad to be third choice centre half (behind Nelsen and Samba).

Me and Baz were talking about, whether or not, we would pay £4m for Givet. We both thought that was too much - and to be honest, I didn't really rate him as a left back. Defensively yes, he's excellent - but he offers absolutely nothing in an attacking sense. I also thought he was a bit on the small side for a centre half.

Givet has been our best defender since he joined, no doubt. At left back I think he was caught out once, I can't remember who against but that was in the early games.

At the end of the day your defenders are there to do exactly that, defend! But his high balls back into the mix are always accurate as well.

At 6 foot I would hardly call him small either, Nelsen is only an inch taller afterall.

Zurab is Georgian.

I would move on Ooijer, Zurab, and Mokoena, and bring Gavin Gunning as the fourth centre-back.

I know that and I have absolutely no idea why I wrote otherwise. The only excuse I can give is that it that I'm at work and my boss was floating around behind me at the time. :huh:

Got to say though, he was excellent defensively again, against [a rather poor] Portsmouth. He's a good player, but not sure whether he's worth that kind of money when we are so short in other positions? If money was no object, then I would snap him up.

:mellow:

You're a hard man to please Den, I'll give you that.

Have we ever had anyone on loan/trial you've really rated? :D

I guess it depends just how limited the summer budget is but I think overall we need to recognise that 3-4m for a 28 year old who looks like they will be a top class Premiership performer isn't a lot of money these days.

Edit: Checked on Soccerbase and he's actually 27, 28 in October. Was curious by way of comparison to see how much Man Ure picked up Vidic for. Curiously they're only a week or so apart age wise and ManUre paid 7m for him in 2006.

and Vidic is twice the defender...

Givet is good, but he's not great. I don't think he'd ever hold down a position in our back four and we can't really afford to spend that sort of money on a third choice centre back / second choice left back.

and Vidic is twice the defender...

Givet is good, but he's not great. I don't think he'd ever hold down a position in our back four and we can't really afford to spend that sort of money on a third choice centre back / second choice left back.

So what's he doing at the moment? Sneaking on while nobody's looking and hoping they don't notice? He's holding down a position in our back 4 at the moment in case you haven't noticed and doing a decent job of it.

Nelsen isn't getting any younger and hasn't had the best time of it until the last 5 or 10 games. Equally we lose Ooijer in the summer. Givet looks a very good player after only 10 games in the PL and Villa have already shown an interest, according to the papers. It would be a shame to lose out on him as he will continue to grow and become our best CB imo.

Have folks forgotten already that a top half Premier League club needs to have five international-quality central defenders in the squad.

If Ooijer is departing (which I hope not- I think he can still do a job for us), we will still only have four even if Givet signs.

That's nonsense Philip. Even the top 4 don't generally have 5 international class centre halves. Man United have Vidic, Ferdinand, and ten you get the likes of O'Shea and Evans who are not International class... that's not even a top half team that's a top of the league team. Would you like to name me arsenals 5 internation class Centre halves as well??????

Have folks forgotten already that a top half Premier League club needs to have five international-quality central defenders in the squad.

If Ooijer is departing (which I hope not- I think he can still do a job for us), we will still only have four even if Givet signs.

Can't see SA wanting to let money leach away with 5. He reckons that we need a smaller squad not a bigger one. I think it will be 4 plus a number of options of stand-ins from other positions.

btw the old standard number of strikers is one less now we have seen Samba's capabilities. Big Chris must have saved us about 2-3m pa in wages and depreciation of a 4th striker. After RSC he will now be our most valuable player :rover: .............

........... and as such prob the next one out of the revolving door that is BRFC. :(

Archived