BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton Preview

Stuart

Pairing Andrews with a holding midfielder doesn't inspire me with much confidence. Maybe away from home, but not in a home game. We need the likes of Dunn and Tugay to get things going. We've been lacking invention in the middle of the park for awhile now, and we can't just rely on the aforementioned due to fitness and age respectively. Investment is needed.

Anyway, I was starting to think the bubble had burst after the missed penalty but well done to the lads for salvaging a point, and almost winning the game.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny how people jump to make Andrews the scapegoat for our poor first half peformance. When in truth the entire team was really poor, not one of them could seem to string a couple of passes together. Not helped one bit by the constant long-ball tactic which played right into Bolton's hands.

We started the second half a little better and we started to actually play it along the floor. Was a bit shocked with the subs, they were indeed very bold from Big Sam. Thought changing to 4-3-3 would make us too narrow when what we really needed to do was get it wide and put some decent crosses in. But in truth it wasn't reallya traditional 4-3-3 it was more of a 2-4-1-3 formation when we were attacking, a bit like this:

----------------Robinson----------------

-------------Samba, Nelsen--------------

Emeton --- Tugay, Grella ------Warnock--

-------------- Andrews ------------------

----------------------- McCarthy--------

-- Roberts -- Santa Cruz ----------------

It may look disjointed like that but it certaintly proved effective. Rovers dominated for the last thirty minutes playing some good neat and tidy possession football, which was in stark contrast to the first half's performance. Obivously the introduction of Tugay and Santa Cruz helped us a lot, Roque's ability to win header and Tugay's ability to pick out passes. But the brilliant switch of formation by Big Sam can't be overlooked. With the three central midfielders now on the pitch it matched Notlob's midfield and it enabled us to have more space in other areas. Emerton and Warnock got forward just as much as if they were wingers and not fullbacks. Benni was given a free role just behind Santa Cruz and Roberts this led to the first goal were he played the ball through to Warnock who finished beautiful (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he meant it).

After that goal went in the crowd was up and we continued to put pressure on the Notlob defense that seemed to be dropping deeper back with every passing minute. Then Tugay plays a inch perfect pass into the path of Santa Cruz who controls it perfectly before he his hacked down by Notlob's keeper. How he didn't get sent off I'll never know. Yes you could argue there was a defender just coming around in front of goal, but if the keeper hadn't brought him down it was an open goal. Should have been a sending off. As we all know Benni fluffed the penalty a strong sense of deja vou.

Then eventually after absolutely battering the Notlob defense with some good football at times we finally go a well deserved equalizer. Which was thanks to a very good first touch from Roberts (yes that's right Jason Roberts and good first touch in the same sentence) who then flicked it back to Benni for a simple tap-in.

2-0 down at half-time yet you come away dissapoitned with a draw just shows how dominate we were in the second half. It was just a shame we didn't bother turning up first half.

Spot on Capt K, I can't remember him doing anything the other night apart from shout and bawl.

I'm glad we didn't sign him, and I think it's interesting that Sam didn't go in for him knowing how low the price was. I wonder if Nolans reported hatred of Blackburn came into this?

As for his recent form, he's been crap since Allardyce left Bolton, another one that played his best football under Big Sam.

Spot on Capt K, I can't remember him doing anything the other night apart from shout and bawl.

Exactly , the same as he has done for the past 2 seasons just trying to get players sent off - should fit in well in Geordieland when they get relegated

Archived