BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Res 2 - 1 Man U

2 in 2 minutes for the Andean Condor. Very Chile at Christie Park. MUTV had a magnificent full shot of Ole Solskjaer totally and utterly gutted as bespectacled Morecambe kidsters harangued him from 2 yards. A long long way from the Nou Camp Ole. A long way.

Any hardy souls actually went?

Since the Official site isn't in a rush to update, who wants the honour of enlightening us with the details?

How did Carlos/Givet/Blackman etc play?

Played a very young utd side oldest was only 21,Rovers much the better side,Zurab was excellant at the back but did get caught out of position for their goal,Givet did ok Blackman was sub did come on but not for long,Carlos scored two good goals but I thought Olsen who has not played well recently for the first team was man of the match playing left midfield which is probably his best position,Brown in goal didn't have a shot to save.

The Reserves gave a decent performance against a very young Manchester United side. The two stand out performances for me were Martin Olsson and Givet on the left hand side. Givet seemed to get stronger as the game went on and linked up well with Olsson who had an outstanding game on the left wing. Andy Haworth, on one of his rare appearances for the reserves, had a disappointing game on the right wing and struggled to get the better of his marker. He was replaced by Aaron Doran during the second half and Doran seemed to offer more of a threat.

In the centre of midfield Bryan Hodge had a solid game and I suspect that some of the watching scouts from the lower leagues may well have been impressed by him. Alan Judge had a disappointing night by his own high standards in the centre of midfield. He seems to be suffering a dip in form at the moment and really struggled to get into the game.

Givet and Zurab were the pick of the defenders. Gavin Gunning, after several matches at left-back, played alongside Zurab in the centre of defence and no doubt benefited from the experience.

Carlos scored two well taken goals and at times looked excellent on the ball. However, once again, his lack of strength and pace were all too evident and he faded as the game went on. There is no doubt that he has skill but, even at reserve level, he struggles to impose himself on a game. He partnered Jamie Clarke up front who had a disappointing night and rarely threatened to get the better of the United defence although he did play his part at the start of the move that led to the second goal for the Rovers.

In general I felt that the Rovers had the better of the game and thoroughly deserved their win. However, it was the performances of Givet and Olsson that proved the highlight of the night for me.

Givet also looked very good on saturday against Sunderland, he has their winger in his pocket. I think he could be a very good signing.

Ollson is also showing that he has the most promise at the moment out of our youngsters.

Has Olsson played Left wing for the 1st's???

Did he play that role at Sunderland (missed it)??? And if so how did he get on?

Please tell me you don't subscribe to MUTV :!: :P

It’s United so if the tea lady broke a cup or put too much sugar in RFW coffee it would be on SNN as a major news story so a reserve game requires wall to wall coverage!!

I watched the game. We get MUTV free before anyone asks!

I thought Carlos was looking poor until the goals. He seemed to pick up a bit in confidence. For anyone who hasn't seen the second yet, wonderful finish. Olsson broke away on the left, whipped a low ball in, and Carlos back-heeled it into the bottom corner without breaking stride. A glimpse of his class.

Givet looked a bit more involved than the last reserve game - seems to be getting a bit sharper.

For me though, the most exciting prospect in that team is Aaron Doran - who impressed me again. Still a long way to go for him, but there is definite potential. He looks twice the player Howarth is to me. I don't think Howarth beat his man once, and when Doran came on, he beat him twice within a couple of minutes.

Olsson played well too. I think he'll be a good pacey full-back in future. At the moment I don't think he's quite good enough defensively, and he isn't an out an out winger. Now Givet is here, I'd like to see Olsson go on loan to a Championship club for the rest of the season. Think it would really help him develop.

Has Olsson played Left wing for the 1st's???

Did he play that role at Sunderland (missed it)??? And if so how did he get on?

Yeah he played left wing at Sunderland, he was poor though.

It's good to hear that he played well last night.

Haworth confuses me. Is he simply getting first team opportunities because of his unusual height for a winger? As far as I know, he hasn't even cemented a position in the reserves, yet he's getting chances with the firsts...seems very strange.

The other thing is that I worry for what moving Judge into CM, as has happened recently, is going to do for him. He was doing well as a winger and seemed near to gettign a first team break. Now he's shoved CM, not a hope of getting past the first team CMs and his chances suddenly seem slim. I hate to bring up a ridiculed name but even reserve regulars will tell you that Ciaran Donnelly's dramatic fall from grace was presaged by being placed on the right wing when his best form had been central. Moving youngsters around like that, even in the reserves, can be very damaging for their development.

Lastly, Olsson's rave reserve reviews seem to say that he's got the talent but so far, has not displayed the mental strength to take the next step. That's not to say it won't happen.

Haworth confuses me. Is he simply getting first team opportunities because of his unusual height for a winger? As far as I know, he hasn't even cemented a position in the reserves, yet he's getting chances with the firsts...seems very strange.

The other thing is that I worry for what moving Judge into CM, as has happened recently, is going to do for him. He was doing well as a winger and seemed near to gettign a first team break. Now he's shoved CM, not a hope of getting past the first team CMs and his chances suddenly seem slim. I hate to bring up a ridiculed name but even reserve regulars will tell you that Ciaran Donnelly's dramatic fall from grace was presaged by being placed on the right wing when his best form had been central. Moving youngsters around like that, even in the reserves, can be very damaging for their development.

Lastly, Olsson's rave reserve reviews seem to say that he's got the talent but so far, has not displayed the mental strength to take the next step. That's not to say it won't happen.

Judge has played most of his Reserves career either up front or in midfield. He has only rarely played on the wing

Judge played the majority of his games last season in the centre of midfield. It is a couple of years since he was regarded as an out and out winger. I think it was realised that he simply hasn't got the pace for that position and was more effective in the centre. At the moment he is having a dip in form for the first time since he got into the Reserve team. As a winger I don't really think that he has the pace to play in the Premiership in that position. Judge relies more on skill and straightforward battling abilities - despite his lack of inches he is a real workhorse in the centre of midfield and one who packs an excellent shot. Both Aaron Doran and Martin Olsson are far better playing in the wide positions than Judge. For me Olsson has been the most exciting talent that we have had in recent years with Doran close behind.

Doran is not quite ready for the first team yet which is why I assume that Haworth gets the nod ahead of him. However, I would agree that most who have watched him in the Reserves are surprised that he has made the first team. As you say, he had struggled to make the Reserve team during the past twelve months but, in fairness, both his appearances against Sunderland were not bad and the lad has shown he has the necessary physique for the first team. Indeed, he has looked better in his two first team outings than in a number of reserve games that he has featured in.

"For me though, the most exciting prospect in that team is Aaron Doran - who impressed me again. Still a long way to go for him, but there is definite potential. He looks twice the player Howarth is to me. I don't think Howarth beat his man once, and when Doran came on, he beat him twice within a couple of minutes. "

Suprising, considering the run out howarth got on saturday at sunderland, where he had his man beaten nearly every time

Archived