BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Vs Villa Preview 7th Feb K.o 3pm

It wasn't that long ago that a game against Villa was just another game against a mid to Uefa Cup team like ourselves. But the last two seasons, this one especially Martin O'Neill has really transformed them into a top club, who can win on the road. We played well against them at Villa Park and should have gotten something from that game. We need to start winning games and even though Aston Villa have been great on the road all season, we must believe that we can win this one. Hopefully Diouf will make a good impression on his debut, Roque will score and we win. 2-1 Rovers win.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just out of a matter of courtesy.... assuming that we kick off towards the Darren End in the first half, any one that doesn't give Brad a standing ovation at the start of the second half is probably a toad of the first water.

Anyone who doesn't hope that he has a complete nightmare of a game is probably not a Rovers' fan.

Anyway, that's my contribution to Debrettes book of Etiquette, bet they never expected that contribution.

Just out of a matter of courtesy.... assuming that we kick off towards the Darren End in the first half, any one that doesn't give Brad a standing ovation at the start of the second half is probably a toad of the first water.

Anyone who doesn't hope that he has a complete nightmare of a game is probably not a Rovers' fan.

Anyway, that's my contribution to Debrettes book of Etiquette, bet they never expected that contribution.

He plays for the opposition...I won't boo but I hope he has a disaster in goal.

We desparately need 3 points today. Get properly stuck in, they have some soft lads in their team.

We can unsettle them.

He plays for the opposition...I won't boo but I hope he has a disaster in goal.

We desparately need 3 points today. Get properly stuck in, they have some soft lads in their team.

We can unsettle them.

Soft lads, you really think a manager like MON would buy softies. Villa are not Man Utd or Arsenal, they grind out results. I really think we could do Villa on this one and i really hope we do.

- Snow, 2" and the country stops - especially if it's own South. I drive from Darwen-in-the Alps to Liverpool every day and this week have driven past people who 'were snowed in and could'nt get to work.' Phooey! Could do with a short fall to tidy up the pistes and it looks like it might come - clouding over now. Unfortunately - no lifts! However I am going to visit t' camping shop and buy some boots and skis this morning. I could catch the bus to Blacksnape and ski down the back of Pole Lane and catch it back up again. If that doesn't work (busses can be funny what you take on) it's teletext!

- Oh the game! Right - well we haven't been beaten to date under Sam but this is a big test.

Up Front - Villa. Villa have two big central strikers available for the first time an they are good. However we have two or more Central defenders who appear to be right at the top of their game. Evens here.

Wide. They have skill and pace. However we have a workmanlike set of wide players who should be able to double up and nullify them. Our fullbacks might just have the edge in an attacking sense. 0.5 to Rovers.

Central Mid. Gulp. At our best we have struggled here. Depends who plays. Need Gella and Dunn to play well to have any chance or some tough tackling from the others. 1.0+ to Villa.

Up front. Well apart from Benni who even now doesn't give too much but scores regularly we don't have too many goals in us. Unfortunately I doubt if Sam will have seen just how abysmally he combines with RSC and might start with these two. Big mistake. For me Roberts should start with Benni. Both occupy the Centre Halves in their way (Roberts with Muscle, pace, power and presence, Benni 'cos if you leave him for a minute he'll bag one son.'). I'm afraid this means RSC (who isn't scoring) is on the bench for later or as a number of people have been saying for a while -including me- starts on the right. Spit might get that call though. 1.0 to Rovers.

This leaves the keepers. Oh god! Expect O'Neil to have had the wingers, right backs and Gabbi A. to have been throwing high crosses over under the crossbar all week in training and all day today. There can be only one winner - the crosses. 3.0 to Villa.

However I think the outcome will rest on what O'Neil does with Gabbi A.

3-0 to Villa. Bunn to start next game. Hope I'm wrong!

It's crazy to think that even last season this would've been a very hard to call game. I remember thinking we were easily going to win before our 4-0 trouncing last time with the run we'd been on, and I went down to Villa Park for last season's game and 1-1 was a fair result between two evenly matched sides.

Yep its a depressing thought, villa finished one place above us last year and we could have nicked it on the last day if we had not been enjoying the sun too much at St Andrews.

Look at Villa now, that is progress. They have added to the team and shown their captain that he is not bigger than the club. We on the other hand have done the complete opposite. This only goes to show that clubs like ours can only be taken so far.

Having said that.

2 - 0 to Rovers

Suspect own goal by Brad, Benni MacCarthy.

Well, for the travelling Villa fans who may read this before coming North, its bloody freezeing but no snow.

if you can get out of mid England and venture North, its sunny at the mo but cold. No wind or breeze.

Looking forward to the game, hop Brad thinks we are actually Birmingham City and has his usual bad game (one off I may add).

Get yourselves wrapped up, the girly Villa players will all be wearing gloves :wacko:

Well, for the travelling Villa fans who may read this before coming North, its bloody freezeing but no snow.

if you can get out of mid England and venture North, its sunny at the mo but cold. No wind or breeze.

Looking forward to the game, hop Brad thinks we are actually Birmingham City and has his usual bad game (one off I may add).

Get yourselves wrapped up, the girly Villa players will all be wearing gloves :wacko:

So will Benni I suspect!

I wonder if Brads agent tipped him of that a big midlands club were about to double his wages before the Brum game?

Like many other posters have already said, if a side is going to score it has to be us first. Villa are a counter-attacking team thats why their away record and peformances are better than their home ones. They will sit back, rely on the home side to attack and hit them on the break.

I'd look to play deeper today, perhaps even pack the midfield and get them to try and break us down. They struggled against Wigan when they employed similar tactics/style.

- Snow, 2" and the country stops - especially if it's own South. I drive from Darwen-in-the Alps to Liverpool every day and this week have driven past people who 'were snowed in and could'nt get to work.' Phooey! Could do with a short fall to tidy up the pistes and it looks like it might come - clouding over now. Unfortunately - no lifts! However I am going to visit t' camping shop and buy some boots and skis this morning. I could catch the bus to Blacksnape and ski down the back of Pole Lane and catch it back up again. If that doesn't work (busses can be funny what you take on) it's teletext!

- Oh the game! Right - well we haven't been beaten to date under Sam but this is a big test.

Up Front - Villa. Villa have two big central strikers available for the first time an they are good. However we have two or more Central defenders who appear to be right at the top of their game. Evens here.

Wide. They have skill and pace. However we have a workmanlike set of wide players who should be able to double up and nullify them. Our fullbacks might just have the edge in an attacking sense. 0.5 to Rovers.

Central Mid. Gulp. At our best we have struggled here. Depends who plays. Need Gella and Dunn to play well to have any chance or some tough tackling from the others. 1.0+ to Villa.

Up front. Well apart from Benni who even now doesn't give too much but scores regularly we don't have too many goals in us. Unfortunately I doubt if Sam will have seen just how abysmally he combines with RSC and might start with these two. Big mistake. For me Roberts should start with Benni. Both occupy the Centre Halves in their way (Roberts with Muscle, pace, power and presence, Benni 'cos if you leave him for a minute he'll bag one son.'). I'm afraid this means RSC (who isn't scoring) is on the bench for later or as a number of people have been saying for a while -including me- starts on the right. Spit might get that call though. 1.0 to Rovers.

This leaves the keepers. Oh god! Expect O'Neil to have had the wingers, right backs and Gabbi A. to have been throwing high crosses over under the crossbar all week in training and all day today. There can be only one winner - the crosses. 3.0 to Villa.

However I think the outcome will rest on what O'Neil does with Gabbi A.

3-0 to Villa. Bunn to start next game. Hope I'm wrong!

:rolleyes: ............Still on Robinsons back?

:rover: sad day today if spit the dog plays :angry::brfcsmilie:

20,000 will think it will only a sad day if we lose. You've gone to pieces. 'Let the scales fall from your eyes'.

Waggy I remember that you screwed up in your opinion of Savage when he signed too. Odd that after a lifetime of watching football you've learned sweet FA about the game.

After getting over his initial penalty spat as a Bolton player, I predict that the Ewood faithful will be drooling as the ball is sprayed to Diouf, who then discharges his marker, dribbles and then lobs the ball (a la Savo Milosevic) towards the Darwen End goal to spatter the back of the net thereby sealing an unexpected Rovers victory and to be surrounded by slobbering and slavering teammates.

2-0 Rovers.

It all might be too much for Waggy to swallow.

I can't see us getting anything from this game, we have struggled to get the ball in the net lately, creating chances but not finishing and with Brad between us and the back of the net I don't see that taking any turns in our favour. Plus, it's on telly here, never bodes well that.

After getting over his initial penalty spat as a Bolton player, I predict that the Ewood faithful will be drooling as the ball is sprayed to Diouf, who then discharges his marker, dribbles and then lobs the ball (a la Savo Milosevic) towards the Darwen End goal to spatter the back of the net thereby sealing an unexpected Rovers victory and to be surrounded by slobbering and slavering teammates.

2-0 Rovers.

It all might be too much for Waggy to swallow.

:lol::lol:

Really excited about this one because we can, probably for the first time this season, put out eight players who are very good - Nelsen, Samba, Warnock, Diouff, Grella, Dunn, Cruz and McCarthy. Only weak links are Pedersen (who has been a lot better recently and remains defensively sound), Ooijer (struggling at right back, probably our biggest liability) and Robinson (a lot better recently also).

On top of that we have a bench with quality- Givet, Tugay, Carlos, Roberts are all players who can really make an impact when they come on. Andrews and Mokoena rather make up the numbers but they are not awful.

Despite Villa being fourth and a really good outfit I think we have a decent chance. If Dunn does not last the ninety, not hard to imagine, we might struggle later on.

I am still holding out hope that we can somehow get a fullback pairing of Givet and Warnock. They are clearly our best two in the position, it's just a shame they're both naturally left sided. Agree with your assessment Joey, except I don't think a bench with six outfield players will have all of Tugay, Andrews and Axe. One of them will surely miss for Simpson or one of the reserves.

I am still holding out hope that we can somehow get a fullback pairing of Givet and Warnock. They are clearly our best two in the position, it's just a shame they're both naturally left sided. Agree with your assessment Joey, except I don't think a bench with six outfield players will have all of Tugay, Andrews and Axe. One of them will surely miss for Simpson or one of the reserves.

I am not sure whether Givet at right back is a good idea, he will find it hard to marshal Young. Probably he will go in at left back and Warnock will move to midfield when Dunn tires/gets injured...

The balacnce of the side is good with Grella and Dunn in midfield. The whole unit looks cohesive then. But we are really ransomed to their fitness which is so poor.

We could still go either 442 or 4231 depending how we use Diouff. Will be interesting to see how Allardyce plays it.

Archived