BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Emerton Out For 9 Months

I seem to remember plenty of occasions when Bert would power up the pitch with the ball, only to find there was nobody there waiting to receive it...

The same can be said of Reid. Strong runner with ball, but again there were times when nobody was getting there to support him. Im glad Emerton, Grella and Dunn are returning, will boost everyone at the club.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your exact quote on the way to the train station was "Emerton and David Thompson - I don't think there is a pair of fullbacks in the world who could have contained them."

I've just made myself sad thinking about how good David Thompson used to be :(

Close - it was about Emerton and Neill. As I recall Australia were playing Republic of Ireland the coming Wednesday, we were most excited to see how they got on together.

Thommo was brilliant though.

Since the departure of a lot of our key players I'd go as far as saying Emerton is our best player in the squad. Finding a position for him is going to be somewhat tricky, he's never looked that impressive on the right wing in my opinion. Yet he's always flourished when he's supposedly out of position at right-back and in central midfield.

Let's just hope he comes back successfully from his injury and remains fully fit for this season because where ever he plays he's going to be a key player for us.

Since the departure of a lot of our key players I'd go as far as saying Emerton is our best player in the squad. Finding a position for him is going to be somewhat tricky, he's never looked that impressive on the right wing in my opinion. Yet he's always flourished when he's supposedly out of position at right-back and in central midfield.

Let's just hope he comes back successfully from his injury and remains fully fit for this season because where ever he plays he's going to be a key player for us.

Just out of interest, which period of his Ewood career has he impressed you to the extent for you to turn around and say he is now our best player?

Not saying you're wrong (you are), but it's a pretty 'out there' statement.

Couldn't disagree more, the two player treatment Bentley got often gave Emerton the luxury of not having to actually mark anyone, along with the freedom of the right hand side.

Think we're going to have to agree to disagree here. Can remember a few fine defensive performances where Emerton most definately had someone to mark.

With regards to your other points, I agree that Emerton insn't the type of superstar who can produce that bit of magic out of nowhere to turn a game, a la Benni, or more regularly from your top superstars like Gerrard and co.

However, I do think that Emerton makes a huge contriubtion to the team in an unspectacular way. And in this unspectacular way I think he'd make a big difference to us now. Part of that will be reduced as we seem to have 47 right backs in the squad, but the midfield is crying out for someone with his ability, who has energy, pace and athleticism. Just picture the West Ham game, with Emo in the centre of the midfield making more runs into the box and supporting Roberts and Dunn, maybe we'd have got the break we needed.

Also I'm not too sure if at any time under Hughes, Emerton wasn't an integral part of the squad. I'll grant you he's not a world beater, but he offers a lot, is very good imo in two positions, and can cover a few more, making him an invaluable member of the squad.

I'm a huge Bert fan, he has energy, pace, drive and 100% commitment every time he plays.

He was our best performing player imo before he got injured.

Could be a telling time for him this, with his game based so much on his athleticism, if he's lost even half a yard after the injury he won't be as effective...

Just out of interest, which period of his Ewood career has he impressed you to the extent for you to turn around and say he is now our best player?

Not saying you're wrong (you are), but it's a pretty 'out there' statement.

He was our best performer during the Ince reign and his consistency is high. Very rarely has a bad game.

However the fact that there is no obvious player that jumps out to me as 'better' than him really sums us up at the moment.

You obviously don't think Emerton is our best player so who would you class as our best? (obviously this is all subject to personal opinion !)

I think Givet is more important. I think he's our best player. I'm not disputing Emerton's good, but like I say, results won't change drastically as a result of his return.

Givet is a good shout although he's not been with us long. I hope he doesn't suffer from the Gresko-itus where he looks great early on and then suddenly isn't as good as we first thought (also Samba showed mild signs of this diseaso).

Trying to think of our genuinely 'good' players isn't easy though is it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not at all. It was all back on show from him last night - the initial encouraging burst of pace, the hesistancy as he gets over the halfway line, the glance over his shoulder to see if he can offload it to the fullback, and then, inevitably, that ###### @#/? stupid crappy Cruyff turn thing he does. Another attacking position wasted.

Archived