BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Emerton Out For 9 Months

He must be seen as a CM/CDM option. Too many RB's and yes he's @#/? at RM/RW. But he's impressed me whenever he's been in midfield!! Him and Tugay when we beat Liverpool a couple seasons back at Ewood in December? He was awesome!! He could play a very similar role alongside Dunn.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's got (or had before his injury, we'll see if he still has) excellent natural energy and fitness and can carry the ball well as long as he isn't asked to produce at the end of it. He may well be worth a look at again in central midfield, if only for his ability to get back, or get forward, quickly. Always liked his commitment on the field, a good player to have in your squad, not sure whether he'll ever be any near to holding down one position as his own.

He must be seen as a CM/CDM option. Too many RB's and yes he's @#/? at RM/RW. But he's impressed me whenever he's been in midfield!! Him and Tugay when we beat Liverpool a couple seasons back at Ewood in December? He was awesome!! He could play a very similar role alongside Dunn.

Couldn't agree more. I'm a bit of a broken record on this one but I would love to see him get a run in centre mid. Either with Dunny or Grella, I think he could adapt to either. He has all the physical attributes, and I'd really like to see what he can do with the ball at his feet in a little bit of space 25 or so yards out from goal. I think he'd bag a few goals if given a long enough run.

Cmon Sam, hurry up and see what the rest of us can! (This isn't limited to Emerton.)

• 2 weeks later...

Now I know that this is not the most reliable source but anyhow...

http://www.blackburn.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=172091

Basically saying that there is to be a new A-League team based in Sydney and from the 2011 season. They reckon that they will look at Brett as their Marquee signing and that Emerton wants to go back there at the end of his career. They reckon that Rovers may form some sort of link with the team which it has been announced are to be called Sydney Rovers.

Just wondering if any of the Aussie fans know anything more about it?

Now I know that this is not the most reliable source but anyhow...

http://www.blackburn.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=172091

Basically saying that there is to be a new A-League team based in Sydney and from the 2011 season. They reckon that they will look at Brett as their Marquee signing and that Emerton wants to go back there at the end of his career. They reckon that Rovers may form some sort of link with the team which it has been announced are to be called Sydney Rovers.

Just wondering if any of the Aussie fans know anything more about it?

Don't know anything about the planned club - they've had an ongoing bid process for the league expansion for a while now and this bid has just come out of nowhere in the last month. Anything about Emerton coming back is just wild speculation though. I'd reckon Emo will be with Rovers for a few years yet.

To say he is '@#/?' at Right mid/wing is ridiculous. He can be very frustrating but he can also do a good job there. If he was to play there he needs someone on the other wing to do what he can't and go past people but when MGP is there it highlights that fact.

The first half of last season may have been bad but who was, in the opinion of most, our best player and where did he play most of the time?

I did prefer him at right back but is ok further forward.

As for playing centre mid, I'd be very interested to see him get an extended run there but I am far from convinced he would be a long term success. That position is the hardest place on the pitch to play and requires a lot of positional intelligence (poor old Keith struggles with this) and I am sceptical as to whether Brett has it.

To say he is '@#/?' at Right mid/wing is ridiculous. He can be very frustrating but he can also do a good job there. If he was to play there he needs someone on the other wing to do what he can't and go past people but when MGP is there it highlights that fact.

The first half of last season may have been bad but who was, in the opinion of most, our best player and where did he play most of the time?

I did prefer him at right back but is ok further forward.

As for playing centre mid, I'd be very interested to see him get an extended run there but I am far from convinced he would be a long term success. That position is the hardest place on the pitch to play and requires a lot of positional intelligence (poor old Keith struggles with this) and I am sceptical as to whether Brett has it.

Everytime Emerton has played in the centre (he must have done about ten times now) he has been excellent. Not going to pick a clever pass, not going to wow you with silky skills but when he gets the ball he will charge up the pitch with it. Causes the opposition loads and loads of problems, drag defenders and defensive midfielders all over the place.

Out of possession he is even better because his engine is phenomenal and he is very strong. He closes down and wins back possession very effectively. Ideal in particular for a game like Arsenal (in fact probably his best performance in the centre for us was against Arsenal away two seasons ago).

I would pair him with either NZonzi or Grella on a regular basis. A million times better than Andrews.

Complete agree with T4E that he is terrible on the right wing. I find it bizarre in the extreme that Sam seems to want him to play there. He cannot beat a full back on the outside or the inside which is pretty crucial if you are going to play wide.

And the "turn" (that he literally pulls out of the bag seven or eight times a game) is INFURIATING.

You may be right about him in centre mid, I hope we get a chance to find out, but to call him terrible on the right wing... I'm lost for words, infuriating, sometimes yes, but particularly last season he made a big contribution... maybe it is just the words but at the very worst he is decent on the wing, I don't understand the need to go so OTT in your appraisal of him in that position. When was the last time MGP went past a man, even when he was in form?

I find it bizarre in the extreme that Sam seems to want him to play there. He cannot beat a full back on the outside or the inside which is pretty crucial if you are going to play wide.

Well, we've had six years to watch Emerton struggle on the wing. He's got the motor but he isn't decisive enough going forward. If he could sort that aspect of the game, he'd make a fine winger. As it is, I do agree with the above sentiments about placing him in the middle.

Archived