BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull City Vs Blackburn Rovers Date Change

nellybc

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can only imagine it's a 12.30 KO because the Carling Cup Final is at 3pm the same day.

It's bad news for Rovers fans though - the earliest you can get from Blackburn to Hull by train on a Sunday is 2pm.

I don't think it's because of the Carling Cup Final. If my memory serves me right, we played Pourtmouth a couple of years back, on that day Arsenal played Chelsea in the final, with John Terry getting a whack in the face, Also we beat Pompey 3-0 with Shabani gettin a brace and missed a penalty to get his hat trick.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Bit of advice needed from the locals please - how long does it take to walk from the main station (Paragon) to the ground? Reason for asking is that there's a train back to civilisation at about 5 to three then the next one isn't till 5 o'clock. I'm sure Hull is a pleasant enough place but I'd rather not hang around the station for the best part of 2 hours! I'm assuming the game will finish about 1430 so is it reasonable to walk to the station in time to get a train at 1455? Ta

Its about 15/20minutes to the train station from the ground, well on foot anyway. I can walk from my house down the Priory Road area of Hull to the train station in about 40minutes so you should be fine for your train. TBH you could get a bus from outside Hull Royal Infirmary after the game, there are plenty of buses that all run to town centre from there. You should have no problem getting one, plus if you get on a stagecoach one it'l cost you about 20p to get to the train station in a matter of 2-3mins.

EDIT-You'll also go past the ground on the train on your way into the station and when you leave the game, you would be best going over the blue footbridge if your planning on walking it towards the back of HRI and getting onto the main road and walking up towards the train station, but TBH your best off just getting a bus outside the hospital if you can do. It's what i used to do when i used to go watch Hull play as a kid when i couldn't get someone to take me to Ewood.

Thanks ihtd, just found another option which might give things a bit more flexibility - looks like there is a park + ride from near the main rd west of town (Priory Park?) to the stadium. Suspect it means less traffic jams than parking nearer the ground. Could be an option, perhaps for other M62 travellers too. Any thoughts ihtd?

You could use that P+R option, have you got a link to it and i'll check it out and get back to you. I'm not sure if its the one that takes forever to get back to your car or not because of traffic.

EDIT-I've done some research and i'd defo say if your planning on driving and don't mind what time you get back to your car at (well within an hour after full time) the Park & Ride service at Priory Park would probably be your best option. Parking around the ground at the KC is reserved for pass holders, residents and the back car park which is made of sharp rocks charges and the wait to get out of it is a long one. I waited over an hour to get out of that car park after a gig at the KC Stadium and that had about 20,000 people there, this match will probably have a similar or greater attendence. (I only live 20minutes walk away from the KC Stadium as well but it were raining heavy, thats my excuse :) )

KC Stadium is very accessible via train and road, just depends on how you want to get there. Just avoid the back car park of the KC Stadium, the one that is not on Walton Street is not accessible to anybody and requires a pass/permit.

Try the South Lancs Rovers coach:

Hull City away Sunday 1st March 2009 KO 12:30

Coach Departs-

Hesketh Arms,Standish - 8:45

Chorley Railway Station - 9:00

Coach Prices - £15.00

Match Tickets -

Adult £24.50

Senior £14.50

Juniors £14.50

more details via:

www.southlancsrovers.uni.cc

Bit of advice needed from the locals please - how long does it take to walk from the main station (Paragon) to the ground? Reason for asking is that there's a train back to civilisation at about 5 to three then the next one isn't till 5 o'clock. I'm sure Hull is a pleasant enough place but I'd rather not hang around the station for the best part of 2 hours! I'm assuming the game will finish about 1430 so is it reasonable to walk to the station in time to get a train at 1455? Ta

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by Kingston-Upon-Hull. I'd say that Hull Paragon Station is now one of the best stations in the country - and I've been to many stations before. The best thing about Hull Paragon is that it has a fully-heated waiting room from which you can see the clock on the wall to keep an eye on the time for your train, so if you miss it, you shouldn't have to worry about waiting in the stations waiting room.

It's quite typical that one of the poggiest areas in the city is that which stands by the stadium - Anlaby Rd. But 9 times out of 10, aren't most stadiums in the country surrounded by "not-so-nice" streets? Thankfully it's set in the plans for regeneration.

As an Alternative to the 2:55 train you could aim to get the 5 o'clock train and go down Princes Avenue (the cosmopolitan area of Hull, along with the ajoining Newland Avenue) after the game for a drink or for some food from one of the many different restaurants down there. Then when you need to go for your train, just turn left at the bottom of Princes Avenue onto Spring Bank and walk until you come to the crossroads, turn right and you'll eventually come to the train station - it's about a 15/20min walk from Princes Avenue.

There is also 'Vanilla' a cafe across from St.Stephens (shopping centre next to Hull paragon station), a new brassirie opposite the train station has recently opened and there is also Prezzo restaurant or Nando's in St.Stephens shopping centre.

The Park N'Ride is an option, but it fills up fairly quickly and the wait for the bus at the edge of West Park can be quite a wait as the queue's for a bus can get quite long.

TTIAR, you want them to walk then one of the roughest areas in Hull on the way back to the train station if they were to go down Prinny Ave. I have never seen so much drug dealing, prostitution and lowlife in my life then what i've seen down what Spring Bank. Princess Avenue should never be described as Cosmo, compared to the rest of Hull it is, but a few coffee houses and bars don't make it cosmo. Do you work for Hull tourist board or something, how much are Hull council paying you :P. Seriously I'm as proud as the next guy from Hull but it is not the greatest of places and i can see many people visiting it being disappointed with it. Hull Train station has had improvements but its got nothing on Manchester Pic or Birmingham New Street.

Anyway all of that is completely off topic. So MOD's feel free to erase this message.

Walking anywhere these days in hull is not overpretty but you need to get yourself down princess avenue on a saturday or sunday afternoon - Its grand lad!!

Sun is shining - Plenty of bars to sit outside - Football on in pubs - What more do you want ??

A visiting football fan does not really give two hoots about these other things -main cares are beer - tranpsort and football and you can get all 3 in very close proximity.

There is nothing wrong with walking from princess avenue to the station at 5pm on sunday afternoon.

now if you were asking me about 2am on a sat morning i may not fancy it ;-)

I have walked that a fair few times, my best mate lives above a takeaway down there (he needed a cheap student flat that weren't on Bev Road) and some of the stories he tells me about the stuff he sees/hears down Spring Bank even during daylight are disgusting.

I've been down Prinny Ave plenty of times and yes it is nice, i just wouldn't describe it as cosmo.

Wheres the pub for away fans these days anyway? I can't see us Rovers fans being welcome in Silver Cod or anything around that area :P

they are fairly choked about bullard at my work today

i tired to warn em that he couldnt pass a medical - I'm sitting here with a small grin thinking yipes that could have been us :(

apparently phil brown is rumoured to have almost overidden the docs advice to get him signed ?? -- Big gamble ............

TTIAR, you want them to walk then one of the roughest areas in Hull on the way back to the train station if they were to go down Prinny Ave. I have never seen so much drug dealing, prostitution and lowlife in my life then what i've seen down what Spring Bank. Princess Avenue should never be described as Cosmo, compared to the rest of Hull it is, but a few coffee houses and bars don't make it cosmo. Do you work for Hull tourist board or something, how much are Hull council paying you :P. Seriously I'm as proud as the next guy from Hull but it is not the greatest of places and i can see many people visiting it being disappointed with it. Hull Train station has had improvements but its got nothing on Manchester Pic or Birmingham New Street.

Anyway all of that is completely off topic. So MOD's feel free to erase this message.

Definition of 'cosmopolitan'

–adjective

1. free from local, provincial, or national ideas, prejudices, or attachments; at home all over the world.

2. of or characteristic of a cosmopolite.

3. belonging to all the world; not limited to just one part of the world."

Exactly what Princes Avenue is. It's not just cafe-bars and coffee houses, it has the foods of the world from one end of Princes Avenue right up to the top end of Newland Avenue. The Times called it "the Notting Hill of Hull".

You can take in an Italian, a Mexican, a Spanish, an Indian e.t.c. down there. It's full of independent retailers and clothing boutiques - If it isn't cosmopolitan, then what is?

Spring Bank is a myth! I walk down there ALL the time from my friends who lives on Prinny Ave, as does she (every day) and two of my other female friends live on a road just off Spring Bank and have never encountered any problems. Heck, we walked down Spring Bank at 3am on New Yrs eve (well, day by that point, lol) nothing bad happened.

The reason I say Spring Bank is a myth is because people seem to think bad things happen down there because it's where most of the Iraqi and Kurdish immigrants live. My friend Martin lives on Spring Bank and says it's peaceful.

I don't work for any tourist boards. I'm a member of an online regeneration forum though. We take close interests in what Hull Forward are doing to improve Hull further - even coming up with our own suggestions. The only thing Hull lacks in is public realm - i.e. tidyness.

I'm at uni in Huddersfield and it's an utter dump compared to Hull. I went to Sheffield last weekend, I came away baffled and amazed at how Sheffield has a positive image and portrayal from the media, as personally I thought it was poggy as heck.

I have walked that a fair few times, my best mate lives above a takeaway down there (he needed a cheap student flat that weren't on Bev Road) and some of the stories he tells me about the stuff he sees/hears down Spring Bank even during daylight are disgusting.

I've been down Prinny Ave plenty of times and yes it is nice, i just wouldn't describe it as cosmo.

Wheres the pub for away fans these days anyway? I can't see us Rovers fans being welcome in Silver Cod or anything around that area :P

Admiral of the Humber on Carr Lane. Nowhere near the ground really lets away supporters in, though the Brickmakers Arms on Walton St now allow away fans in as long as you're not rowdy - i.e. if you want to come in for a pint, do so, but don't go in acting like you own the place, otherwise you'll be asked to leave. I think Polar Bear on SPRING BANK :o allows away fans in too, because no-one goes in there with it being a gay-pub.

Green Bricks down by the marina is usually a pub away supporters enjoy, though you'd have to give yourself a 25 min allowance of time to get to the ground.

There are plenty of pubs in and around the city centre that welcome anybody, so that is probably the best bet, as it is only a 15/20 min walk to the KC.

Saturday on the beer, night in Hull till whenever, no sleep. Then to the game, probably in the same undies. Its going to be messy.

I'll post up places to go when the Preview is up, just so you don't stray into places like Cheeky Monkeys or Bedroom.

Try the South Lancs Rovers coach:

Hull City away Sunday 1st March 2009 KO 12:30

Coach Departs-

Hesketh Arms,Standish - 8:45

Chorley Railway Station - 9:00

Coach Prices - £15.00

Match Tickets -

Adult £24.50

Senior £14.50

Juniors £14.50

more details via:

www.southlancsrovers.uni.cc

The South Lancs coach has now been canceled due to lack of interest.

Pity as this is a very important game for us.

Archived