BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Speed Camera's Again

The satellite technology exists to slow cars down automatically in built-up areas. Together with speed limiters on cars (like lorries)

ive driven for 21 years with a limiter on my wagon and they are pants and cause problems when you reach hills etc.....how long have you driven with limiters?

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ive driven for 21 years with a limiter on my wagon and they are pants and cause problems when you reach hills etc.....how long have you driven with limiters?

And that's another thing: lorries should be banned from overtaking. Have you heard of a brake pedal ?

Also, other people have mentioned stopping distances and pedestrian survival rates. The official stopping distances were put together in the '60s. I don't know about everone else but my Mondeo stops faster than an Anglia or Morris Oxford. To take an extreme example, the McMerc SLR can stop from ~160mph in the distance that the highway code says that you need for 70mph. As for survival rates, if you drove at 5mph with a man walking in front with a red flag then the rate would probably be 1in100,000 (I think the first death was with a car doing 3mph). The very best way to avoid killing pedestrians is to keep your eyes open and not run them over in the first place.

So that means that speeding drivers don't kill as many pedestrians as they did a few years back - is that an argument to be rid of speed cameras? Is killing fewer acceptable?

The McMerc SLR you mention with the better stopping distance is undoubtedly a far greater danger than the Ford Anglia though - wouldn't you agree? 30MPH limits in built up areas seem reasonable enough to me, no matter what the stopping distances. 80 MPH on a motorway is also reasonable. Can't see the need to raise that.

Don't forget also that the danger of speed isn't simply down to not stopping quickly enough, as shown regularly in horrendous accidents, it's loss of control. Speed camera's are there to try to protect people from killing themselves, as much as they're there to protect everyone else.

re .jim.you really have no idea have you! imagine being stuck behind a cyclist and the jam that would cause by banning over taking.No jim whats a brake pedal ,i passed my test 25 years ago and always wondered what it was ...muppet.

I was stuck behind a blue rinsed bimbo on the m6 last week doing about 25 mph ,very dangerous she was too,jim would you a.let me overtake her or b.have thousands of wagon stay behind her?

BMW's hog the outside lane cos they are driven by superior beings. Women hog the middle lane cos the are scared sh1tless by Mways, they seem to need all the room they can get and invariably sit right up to the steering wheel gripping it with white knuckles

Women probably "hog the middle lane" because they're petrfied of the numbskulls in their tax-payer sponsored BMWs driving at 90mph while texting and phoning in the outside lane and the procession of undertaxed lorries (which should be on the railways) nose to tail on the inside lane.

because its the most efficient way of moving freight over distances greater

than 100miles.

Speedcameras are a usefull tool in a large toolbox of measures to try and

stop people killing themselves and others. The reason why accidents have been static

for a few years is because most preventable causes, such as

poor highway engineering, much safer cars, better provision for

cyclists and pedestrians have been implemented.

The majority of fatalities or serious injuries are now due to stupidity, impatience

and sheer bad luck. Also compare ksi's (killed and serious injuries)

accidents, to the amount of kilometers travelled per year, then accidents have fallen.

but thats a reasoned argument based on fact and experience, so dont let that get in the way of

a good rant.

Women probably "hog the middle lane" because they're petrfied of the numbskulls in their tax-payer sponsored BMWs driving at 90mph while texting and phoning in the outside lane and the procession of undertaxed lorries (which should be on the railways) nose to tail on the inside lane.

nobody should hog the middle lane including you, thats probably why some one undertook you numptie.

when railway lines are built next to where the goods are required you could get lorries of the road not before.

ABBEY, glad to see you back, the Sat Nav technology that is being trailed does not effect the power of the vehicle until the vehicle reaches a speed limit in the area that it is travelling, the algorithm that is being developed should ensure that over taking is save, but it is being developed by softies :lol:

And I'd an idea that it would be you who would be pedantic enough to challenge the combined intellects of Newton and Einstein......... in a white van! :rolleyes::D

If you seriously believe accelerating to 80mph or so for a few seconds has an impact on real journey times you're more deluded than the majority already know to be true. It's a simple fact under most driving conditions encountered on British motorways 70 or 80 makes little difference as it's close to impossible to maintain any sort of constant speed. It's got bugger all to do with Newton or Einstein and everything to do with congested roads.

to difficult a question jim?????

re .jim.you really have no idea have you! imagine being stuck behind a cyclist and the jam that would cause by banning over taking.No jim whats a brake pedal ,i passed my test 25 years ago and always wondered what it was ...muppet.

I was stuck behind a blue rinsed bimbo on the m6 last week doing about 25 mph ,very dangerous she was too,jim would you a.let me overtake her or b.have thousands of wagon stay behind her?

to difficult a question jim???????????

why should wagons be on the railways jim?....

to difficult a question jim????

If you seriously believe accelerating to 80mph or so for a few seconds has an impact on real journey times you're more deluded than the majority already know to be true. It's a simple fact under most driving conditions encountered on British motorways 70 or 80 makes little difference as it's close to impossible to maintain any sort of constant speed. It's got bugger all to do with Newton or Einstein and everything to do with congested roads.

Hey up! It's the King of wit, backchat and repartee again! :rolleyes:

Have it your way Paul. The difference between travelling at 70mph v travelling at 80mph for an hour is definitely not 10 miles. :rolleyes:

Nice to see your sense of humour is as keen as ever.

Women probably "hog the middle lane" because they're petrfied of the numbskulls in their tax-payer sponsored BMWs

Think back Magoo......... All those years ago when your teachers said work hard and study hard so that you can get a top career with a 'name your own' salary and loads of perks why did you completely ignore them? :P

Theno,

This is obviously something that attracts your interest. Unfortunately you have posted the following six messages:

BMW's hog the outside lane cos they are driven by superior beings. Women hog the middle lane cos the are scared sh1tless by Mways, they seem to need all the room they can get and invariably sit right up to the steering wheel gripping it with white knuckles

And I'd an idea that it would be you who would be pedantic enough to challenge the combined intellects of Newton and Einstein......... in a white van!

Need I remind you that no one could undertake if you were in the left hand lane magoo?

Hey up! It's the King of wit, backchat and repartee again!

Have it your way Paul. The difference between travelling at 70mph v travelling at 80mph for an hour is definitely not 10 miles.

Think back Magoo......... All those years ago when your teachers said work hard and study hard so that you can get a top career with a 'name your own' salary and loads of perks why did you completely ignore them?

None of which add much to the discussion about safety cameras, but rather cements you as a poster who likes to indulge in ad hominem comments. And insulting fellow posters.

Just as a matter of interest. If I set off from Manchester & drove to Carlisle at 80mph I would do the journey 20 minutes faster than if I did the journey at 70mph. What would you or I or anyone else do with those 20 minutes?

Have it your way Paul. The difference between travelling at 70mph v travelling at 80mph for an hour is definitely not 10 miles. :rolleyes:

Turn left off the end of the M65 and Paul isn't wrong. Turn right off the end of the M65 and Gordon's maths won't be interrupted by traffic.

I'm not alone from the MB community in often having to commute south down the M6 in the early mornings. It doesn't matter if I try to drive at 60 or at 90 mph - the same Transit van I pass at Charnock Richard will catch up at the M58 junction, and we will then progress neck and neck until the inevitable traffic jam at Croft. If you leave Darwen at 6.30am it's a 1 mile jam, if you leave at 7am it's between 2 and 3 miles. How the government thinks that Preston needs urgent attention before Croft is a total mystery. My journey to Runcorn should take 45 minutes - time it wrong and it takes double that.

I also have to work in Glasgow sometimes. I can leave Darwen at the same time as I would for Runcorn (6.30am) and still make the Glasgow office around 9am, despite it being more than 4 times further. I can safely drive over the 70mph speed limit all the way, and that can shorten the driving time by nearly an hour.

One final thing. This government is supposed to be getting us out of our cars, off the motorways, and on to trains.

On the Darwen to Runcorn commute, I'll let them off. 3 hours / 2 changes / 17 quid and I'd still be miles from where I need to be with not a bus service to be seen to complete the journey. It's not a popular route I guess.

Glasgow is a different story. In 2008 I made the return journey 14 times, every single one by train. The advance fares (Preston-Glasgow return, peak times) worked out at ~#85. I could justify #40 on taxis to and from Preston on top of that (the government isn't joined up enough to provide early morning branch line feeder trains to connect with the first main line trains).

Bring on 2009, and the fare that only 6 weeks back was #85 is now #166. There are more trains, so many more seats, but the goverment has given the train operating company (Virgin in this case) such a huge bill to be alllowed to run the service, that they've put their advance peak fares through the roof.

Putting me back on the M6 / M74. Total lunacy. The West Coast Line upgrade work is finally complete, but suddenly it's cheaper to drive.

Hey up! It's the King of wit, backchat and repartee again! :rolleyes:

I have a perfecty good sense of humour. Fortunately I also have a brain which tells me two things, written jokes take a particular talent (one which in truth you are lacking) and second it tells me I make, generally speaking bad jokes, so I don't try. There's a little lesson there for you Gordon. It's apparent you don't bother to read what people say but receive a great deal of pleasure from mocking selective parts of their posts taken out of context. Your lack of intellectual capacity, despite the clever twisting of others words, constantly demonstrated by the manner in which you revert to insults, foul language, self-glorification, and suggesting others are lacking in some way. The reality being it is you who are lacking............or else you have a very small penis*

* That BTW is a little joke for you, one you're pobably familiar with relating to the size of car one drives

Tris how much is a # nowadays? And do I need a currency calculator? :D

Not any more! Now the one-eyed Scottish twerp has destroyed the economy, 1 # = 1 $ = 1 € near as makes no odds ...

My laptop is a US model ... 6 months ago for the money saved on the UK price it was well worth not having £ on the keyboard ...

The path Brown and Darling are taking us, nobody will need a £ on the keyboard before long ...

Not having a go Abbey, but doesn't the limiter stop the speed, not the revs? If so, going up a hill should be exactly the same speed, you'd just need more revs. I think. You can still go up a hill at 30mph, it'd just take more of an effort, wouldn't it?

its when your on flat going past something and then the hill comes and if your going past something then alls of sudden your speed dies but the car etc on the inside is suddenly faster then your stumped.

its when your on flat going past something and then the hill comes and if your going past something then alls of sudden your speed dies but the car etc on the inside is suddenly faster then your stumped.

On our local dual carriageway a lorry travelling at 50mph is often overtaken by a lorry travelling at 51 - 52 mph. The lorry takes 2 - 3 miles to get past and a queue of cars builds up behind it resulting in congestion and frustration. At the next roundabout the lorry is 50 yards in front of the first lorry - hurrah !

So what's the point ? Why do lorry drivers overtake ?

Speed governers are a death trap. When some clown puts you in danger with a stupid manouver there are three ways to get out of it. Sometimes a swerve will do the job but it is not recommended. Sometimes braking sharply will suffice but usually the best way out is a quick burst of acceleration.

Governers remove this option and will therefore be the direct cause of some accidents.

Archived