BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Speed Camera's Again

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speed governers are a death trap. When some clown puts you in danger with a stupid manouver there are three ways to get out of it. Sometimes a swerve will do the job but it is not recommended. Sometimes braking sharply will suffice but usually the best way out is a quick burst of acceleration.

Governers remove this option and will therefore be the direct cause of some accidents.

I really can't think of an example where that would apply, especially if all vehicles were controlled speed wise for the area that they are in, that means not using a top speed restrictor but a control based on the speed limit in the area that the vehicle is travelling.

Funny you say that, Paul.

The latest "anti speeding" advert here features people "tweaking their pinky"at speeding drivers. Indicating that the "speeders" have little ones.

I have one question for our Gord; Why can't you drive at the limit?

Eh? Who says I don't? ............... Isn't 'driving to the limit' the very issue that you are griping about Dave? :lol:

Ooops sorry Paul there's me injecting a little humour again with that clever twisting of words thingy. I'll pm you to explain it if you need. :P

its when your on flat going past something and then the hill comes and if your going past something then alls of sudden your speed dies but the car etc on the inside is suddenly faster then your stumped.

I'd assume that leaving large vehicles stuck on the wrong side of the road and unable to get back easily whilst travelling as fast as they can should be a 'safety' tactic to be avoided at all costs.......... shouldn't it? :huh:

And magoo wants the govt to do that with cars too? :blink:

I really can't think of an example where that would apply, especially if all vehicles were controlled speed wise for the area that they are in, that means not using a top speed restrictor but a control based on the speed limit in the area that the vehicle is travelling.

It would happen every time a car was travelling UNDER the speed limit therefore forcing others to chance their arm getting past.

speed cameras................fill them with expanding foam via the little hole in the back. Works a treat !! :lol:

Yeah but I still think that I prefer the 'necklace em with an old lorry tyre filled with petrol' approach.

Eh? Who says I don't? ............... Isn't 'driving to the limit' the very issue that you are griping about Dave? :lol:

Ooops sorry Paul there's me injecting a little humour again with that clever twisting of words thingy. I'll pm you to explain it if you need. :P

Well if you drive at or below the limit then speed cameras really shouldn't be an issue for you. Simple really.

ok lets have a show of hands .

a.yes ive broken the speed limit

b.no ive never EVER broken the speed limit in my life (((((***note*** this MEANS NEVER))))

c.ive not passed my test and therefore will shut the ***** up as ive got no real grounds for opinion.

I will answer A.

and whilst the morale police are out have they never broken ANY law in their life at all?

I would imagine that even a perfect driver such as myself has at some stage in 50 years plus driving inadvertently gone a few mph over the limit but there's a big difference between that and deliberately flouting the law like the poster below.

I can safely drive over the 70mph speed limit all the way, and that can shorten the driving time by nearly an hour.

So the answer to your question in my case is b. And no, I have never broken a law in my life.

so if you inadvertenly run someone over thats ok jim?

your real answer is A. and you have broke a law!!!!

why is it there a difference ? between inadvertenly breaking a law and delibrate braking of one??

so if i go out on the ale and dont mean to drive thats ok if i do is it??

you cant pick and choose jim you either break a law or you dont !!!!

what about the othe questions your ignoring.is that inadvertanly or deliberate?

your real answer is A. and you have broke a law!!!!

I said the likelihood is that at some stage in my driving career I have inadvertently gone over the speed limit. That doesn't mean to say I have.

If I know there is a speed limit I stick to it, unlike some people who see it as a challenge.

I would imagine that even a perfect driver such as myself has at some stage in 50 years plus driving inadvertently gone a few mph over the limit but there's a big difference between that and deliberately flouting the law like the poster below.

So the answer to your question in my case is b. And no, I have never broken a law in my life.

So is the only excitment in your life posting on this board

I said the likelihood is that at some stage in my driving career I have inadvertently gone over the speed limit. That doesn't mean to say I have.

If I know there is a speed limit I stick to it, unlike some people who see it as a challenge.

theres always a speed limit jim...if you dont know what it is or how to check you shouldnt be allowed on the road.

I think only those who have never exceeded the speed limit should take the high moral ground on this issue . The others are just sanctimonious hypocrites .

And by extrapolation of that logic those who have broken the speed limit must take the low moral ground on this issue.

I'm really interested as to why those who are "relaxed" about speed limits are so anti those of us who do are best to stay inside them. Surely this is not an issue. If I'm not a burglar or mugger then I don't really expect abuse from someone who is either.

So, those of you who are relaxed about exceeding the speed limits - what is it exactly that you gain from speeding? Do you want to feel like Jeremy Clarkson? Lewis Hamilton? Why do you do it? Maybe you save a few minutes on a journey, maybe a few minutes are important to you.

Can any of you who are antagonistic about speed limits please explain.

Thanks

I think most people go a bit faster than they should at times, however they recognise that if they get caught travelling over the said speed limit, then they've got no one to blame but themselves.

Its the people moaning about speed cameras catching them breaking the law, who are the same ones so sanctimoanious about everyother facet of life, Drugs, being a dodgy foriegner and other rule breaking that are the hypocritical ones.

Abbey, perhaps you should be asking, "How many times have you been picked up for speeding?" rather than ask if people speed.

I generally drive at or about the speed limit here, but not so fast as to attract the attention of mobile or fixed cameras. My one and only ticket was over 25 years ago, I could have argued the toss, but weighing up my time (which I value) that I would have spent fighting it, it was easier to pay up and remember the lesson.

As someone intimated earlier and according to anecdotal evidence, speeding appears to be connected with a deficiency in the trouser dept.

Perhaps BMW Gordon might like to expand on the subject.

BMW's not my style and whenever I expand in the trouser dept is no business of yours.

btw I'm guessing the only thing you ever dunk nowadays are Morning coffees. -_-

ok lets have a show of hands .

a.yes ive broken the speed limit

Yep and got the points and done the course to prove it. I'd freely admit to doing more than 70 on a motorway when it's safe to do so. I know it's arguable that it's never safe to do so, what I mean is when the road is relatively empty.

All my tickets have been for exceeding 30mph, usually by 4-6 mph. This is something I used to have real trouble with as modern cars easily do more than 30 in fourth gear and there's so little speed sensation one can be lapsed into thinking one isn't speeding. Not an excuse but what I know was happening to me. The speed awareness tester suggested I drive in third in 30 zones. Put this in to practice and it works very well, and usually means there are fewer gear changes and less braking. It goes against what I was taught 38 years ago but then cars have changed a lot. Probably goes to prove refresher courses on driving techniques are good idea for all.

Yep and got the points and done the course to prove it. I'd freely admit to doing more than 70 on a motorway when it's safe to do so. I know it's arguable that it's never safe to do so, what I mean is when the road is relatively empty.

All my tickets have been for exceeding 30mph, usually by 4-6 mph. This is something I used to have real trouble with as modern cars easily do more than 30 in fourth gear and there's so little speed sensation one can be lapsed into thinking one isn't speeding. Not an excuse but what I know was happening to me. The speed awareness tester suggested I drive in third in 30 zones. Put this in to practice and it works very well, and usually means there are fewer gear changes and less braking. It goes against what I was taught 38 years ago but then cars have changed a lot. Probably goes to prove refresher courses on driving techniques are good idea for all.

How much more fuel do you use?

Archived