BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Speed Camera's Again

A speed camera wouldnt stop the parents of the school that I live adjacent to parking on the chevrons, driving the wrong way down the one way streets and generally driving like tossers.

Sadly the police have told me repeatedly that they "havnt got the resources to police every school"..... they seem to misunderstand my suggestion that an occasional presence or even a sodding traffic warden would encourage safety.

Then again, the council have categorically refused to place a HGV not permitted sign at the end of the road to discourage HGV's getting to to the industrial estate that has been bollarded off for about 11 years. I love sat nav.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
American,

You are complaining against safety/ speed cameras not doing what that are not designed to do.

They are not designed to spot drivers eating burgers/ using mobile phones while driving/ drivers applying lipstick.

You may as well complain that Sam Allerdice was responsible for England's collapse verses the West Indies a few days ago.

You OK with that?

Go on, please expand on this. You'll neeed to ignore the Local Highway Road Safety Officers expertese on where the ca meras are placed. Then you'll need to to follow the financial audit as to where the money from the fines goes.

Once you've done that, come back & tell us that "they are purely for revenue." I'm only guessing here, but I think you have no idea where the money from the fines goes to; how much it totals; where it goes to; nor what it is used for.

I think it goes back to the Local Highways Authorities to implement road safety measures such as traffic calming outside schools and residential areas. Let us know if it's any different.

Cheers

Such a prat.

Why don't you answer my question first. If the purpose is making the roads safer, why not use officers who can catch all of the dangerous driving that goes on? And don't call them "safety" cameras if their only purpose is finding speeders.

One camera alone has raised more than 1 million pounds. Last I checked, that is government revenue. Who cares where it goes, probably to lazy government hacks.

Fact: the cameras create revenue, which, for some of the slower ones among us (Colin) means they make money.

I think it goes back to the Local Highways Authorities to implement road safety measures such as traffic calming outside schools and residential areas. Let us know if it's any different.

Cheers

No camera's but you seem knowledgable about these issues, so can you explain the thinking behind the Tockholes abomination?

Such a prat.

Thanks American, your input to the debate is appreciated

Why don't you answer my question first. If the purpose is making the roads safer, why not use officers who can catch all of the dangerous driving that goes on? And don't call them "safety" cameras if their only purpose is finding speeders.

Just to repeat my earlier point. safety (or speed) cameras (call them what you want) are there to catch drivers who have neither the wit nor the intelligence to stay within the speed limit. That's it. Dead simple. Rubbish and dangerous drivers cannot keep within the speed limit.

One camera alone has raised more than 1 million pounds.

Good, that's £1m from loads of stupid drivers who have neither the wit nor the intelligence to stay within the speed limit.

Last I checked, that is government revenue. Who cares where it goes, probably to lazy government hacks

"Lazy government hacks?" "Who cares where it goes." Go on. Process that a bit more. Come back and tell us all about it in detail.

No camera's but you seem knowledgable about these issues, so can you explain the thinking behind the Tockholes abomination?

Theno,

I live & work in Manchester. I don't give a flying one about Tockholes. It's obviously your problem. You've been done for speeding.

You work it out yourself. If you're so full indignation about something go and learn about it and put it right.

but you seem knowledgable about these issues

You are now my slave....forever. I can put you over my knee and spank your plump bottom on a regular basis. I'm going to spank it soooooo many times.

Let's hear it again for

but you seem knowledgable about these issues

I've got you big boy. KY Jelly at the ready.

Thanks American, your input to the debate is appreciated

Just to repeat my earlier point. safety (or speed) cameras (call them what you want) are there to catch drivers who have neither the wit nor the intelligence to stay within the speed limit. That's it. Dead simple. Rubbish and dangerous drivers cannot keep within the speed limit.

Good, that's £1m from loads of stupid drivers who have neither the wit nor the intelligence to stay within the speed limit.

"Lazy government hacks?" "Who cares where it goes." Go on. Process that a bit more. Come back and tell us all about it in detail.

Theno,

I live & work in Manchester. I don't give a flying one about Tockholes. It's obviously your problem. You've been done for speeding.

You work it out yourself. If you're so full indignation about something go and learn about it and put it right.

You are now my slave....forever. I can put you over my knee and spank your plump bottom on a regular basis. I'm going to spank it soooooo many times.

Let's hear it again for

I've got you big boy. KY Jelly at the ready.

Utter rubbish,

If the government wanted to stop drivers speeding they would mandate restrictors on vehicles, using satelite technology NOW.

but that would mean they lose an enourmous amount of revenue.

Government studies show that speed cameras do not cut speed, they are a myth and prove self regulation does not work.

Yet the relevant government bodies still give type approval to vehicles that are capable of breaking the law, some day a smart lawyer will take the governments trousers down for this

:lol:

Well put, yoda.

Who cares where the money goes - except those who can still eat at the government trough with do nothing jobs. It is revenue that they don't have to pay an officer to get.

Eh, screw it, I'm taking my own advice and using the ignore function.

Theno,

Cmon col you cant have it both ways ,you say you"dont give a flying " about tocks because you live and work in manchester.Well how come you was so loud and vocal in the "bus lane " thread for blackburn when really you shouldnt of "give a flying"?

have you never done anything that involves breaking laws or rules in your life??

have you lived your life without ever having a stoppyback or lock in at your local?.....be honest?

Theno,

Bit sarky that! Why?

Anyway sorry to disappoint you but no I haven't. You've been gobbing off about the why's and wherefore's of speed camera's so I just wanted to hear your views on the traffic calming measures through Tockholes. There are no camera's at all, instead speed is controlled by suspension shattering humps and stuff. Next home match come that way in.

If cameras are for safety only please explain this one.

There is one in Higher Baxenden on Manchester Road where there has never been an accident. There are very few houses and nobody crosses the road at that point because there is NO PAVEMENT on one side. It is there purely because it is a wide road with a slight descent coming from the motorway side and cars tend to speed up a little without increasing pressure on the accelerator. A revenue producer, pure and simple, meant to trap strangers to the area. The locals are all aware of it. There is no safety element at all, just a cynical money maker.

If the government wanted to stop drivers speeding they would mandate restrictors on vehicles, using satelite technology NOW.but that would mean they lose an enourmous amount of revenue.

Yoda,

You are obviously anti safety cameras. What do you think your (and many other drivers) reaction would be to speed restictors on vehicles. Then think of the cost.

Who cares where the money goes - except those who can still eat at the government trough with do nothing jobs. It is revenue that they don't have to pay an officer to get. It's a non-starter

American,

What's this "eat at the government trough with do nothing jobs" thing What do you mean by this? What has it got to do with safety cameras?

(a) Cmon col you cant have it both ways ,you say you"dont give a flying " about tocks because you live and work in manchester.Well how come you was so loud and vocal in the "bus lane " thread for blackburn when really you shouldnt of "give a flying"?

(B) have you never done anything that involves breaking laws or rules in your life??

Abbey,

(a)I know what a bus lane is and what it involves, so I can comment on the concept regardless of where they are. I thought that some of the anti bus lane comments were completely over the top and ridiculous. Bus lanes are normal in most places. I had no idea what Theno was referring to when he mentioned Tockholes. It seems that it doesn't even concern cameras. What was I meant to say?

(B) just about to roll one. Class B

Bit sarky that! Why? I just wanted to hear your views on the traffic calming measures through Tockholes. There are no camera's at all, instead speed is controlled by suspension shattering humps and stuff.

Theno.

Yup I apologise for that. (Not often you'll read that from anyone on here!) Tockholes is a village on an otherwise pretty fast length of road, BWDBC has probably considered that it needs to impliment some serious traffic calming measures to stop drivers barrelling through at 50mph. If the humps are "suspension shattering" then you may need to check them against this legislation

here

and you can pick out all sorts of detail from here. It includes humps and lots of other stuff.

here

Cheers everyone. I'm still bemused by why any driver confronted with a speed/safety camera sign, then a bright yellow camera housing, then the road calibration markings, can't just slow down to under the speed limit.

so theno's complaining about speed bumps which are one of the best ways to slow all drivers down without fining them, what do you want instead? A Speed camera?

Al, have you checked the accident stats for that location? A FOI to the Local Safety Camera Partnership should tell you whether or not its been located for revenue only purposes.

F??? Off Idiots ?

Freedom Of Information Act request.

You'd be surprised at how much info you can ask for & obtain. Give it a whirl. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I had no idea what Theno was referring to when he mentioned Tockholes. It seems that it doesn't even concern cameras. What was I meant to say?

I was wondering what he was on about as well. If it is the speed bumps and road narrowing that must have been in place for 5-6 years at least (I suspect it was done when the M65 bridge was built which would have been 12 years or more past). A pain in the arse I agree and highly effective. Last week on the same stretch of road but outside the calmed 30mph zone, I met an oncoming white van overtaking a cyclist on a bend - I've still no idea how I'm still here.

Yoda,

You are obviously anti safety cameras. What do you think your (and many other drivers) reaction would be to speed restictors on vehicles. Then think of the cost.

American,

What's this "eat at the government trough with do nothing jobs" thing What do you mean by this? What has it got to do with safety cameras?

Abbey,

(a)I know what a bus lane is and what it involves, so I can comment on the concept regardless of where they are. I thought that some of the anti bus lane comments were completely over the top and ridiculous. Bus lanes are normal in most places. I had no idea what Theno was referring to when he mentioned Tockholes. It seems that it doesn't even concern cameras. What was I meant to say?

(B) just about to roll one. Class B

Theno.

Yup I apologise for that. (Not often you'll read that from anyone on here!) Tockholes is a village on an otherwise pretty fast length of road, BWDBC has probably considered that it needs to impliment some serious traffic calming measures to stop drivers barrelling through at 50mph. If the humps are "suspension shattering" then you may need to check them against this legislation

here

and you can pick out all sorts of detail from here. It includes humps and lots of other stuff.

here

Cheers everyone. I'm still bemused by why any driver confronted with a speed/safety camera sign, then a bright yellow camera housing, then the road calibration markings, can't just slow down to under the speed limit.

They are not safety cameras, they dont take pictures if you are driving badly, only if you drive over the limit and the governments own studies show they do not cut speed,(look at Paul's white van post above) as for the cost of having restrictors it is not expensive, the technology exists.

How hipocritical of the government to give type approval to devices(vehicles) that will break the law, in industry they would have been prosecuted by now

Freedom Of Information Act request.

You'd be surprised at how much info you can ask for & obtain. Give it a whirl. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Road humps are only suspension shattering if you have crap suspension or are drriving too fast.

FOI is great fun, causes utter chaos and panic at the dept its aimed at.

much more fun and satisfying than writting moaning posts on an internet board.

so people are going over the humps to fast. A pretty simple concept.

I mean its not hard, go too fast over them and it'l damage your shocks

Cars haven't been designed with them in mind. Surely you can see that? Apparently the damage is caused by hitting the bumps whilst braking with the suspension already compressed. Or do you know better Flopsy?

Cars haven't been designed with them in mind. Surely you can see that? Apparently the damage is caused by hitting the bumps whilst braking with the suspension already compressed. Or do you know better Flopsy?

sounds like it. People are going to fast over them or on the aproach to them.

Is that simple enough for you? Go slower, no need to break, or break sooner, and lo, no damage.

or you could just put a camera in because that wont knacker your suspension

Archived