BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Academy

Kelbo

Over the last few years, it does appear thet our academy sacrifice quality for size and strength!!

I wonder if their views will change after England, Heskey and all, were beaten and footballed to death by a Spanish side which was one of the smallest teams I can remember watching at any proffessional level!!

............ah what's the point. Let me just summarise rather than anything else:

- English football coaching culture - direct and untechnical

- English professional reserve team system, worse than sheight.

- English footballer mental strength - lacking

- English managers, generally crap. Including Swedish ones.

-English attitude to giving opportunities to youngsters - recalcitrant

- English attitude to spending millions on Djimi Traore and Nigel Quashie - happy go-lucky.

The fact that Emile Heskey is our main target man striker should send every England fan into terminal depression. How can it be that a goal-less wonder is our best target striker? Why bother compete?

Yeah, mods, you can lock this thread now.

Running on from Rover6, my two cents is that England never succeed on the international stage because, while possessing some excellent technically gifted players, we have absolutely no pace, flair, skill, trickery etc in the side. This is something that should be encouraged at the grass routes level, but isn't.

Running on from Rover6, my two cents is that England never succeed on the international stage because, while possessing some excellent technically gifted players, we have absolutely no pace, flair, skill, trickery etc in the side.

Technically good, but no skill?

We've nobody who can actually beat a man. We've plenty of players who can run past opponents but none who can do it with the ball. What would Bryan Douglas be worth today ?

You got to remember the fact that we didn't have Joe Cole, Theo Walcott, Steven Gerrard, Rio Ferdinand and Wayne Rooney out the side.

Walcott provides the pace and can beat a man, so can Joey Cole.

This England side will get better. Walcott was brilliant in the matches he played and A. Young will only get better and break into the England side sooner rather than later.

Futures bright.

You got to remember the fact that we didn't have Joe Cole, Theo Walcott, Steven Gerrard, Rio Ferdinand and Wayne Rooney out the side.

This England side will get better. Walcott was brilliant in the matches he played and A. Young will only get better and break into the England side sooner rather than later.

Futures bright.

I remember thinking that when Hoddle was in charge of what seemed to be some terrific young talent. What happened?

I agree it has to be down to the grass roots level we prefer bigger stronger center mids who can tackle and drive forward too both good qualitiys but sometimes at international level where the pace is slower and keeping the ball becomes more important we miss a playmaker type. Someone who can unlock defences is vital but because of our way of coaching these players who are normally of the smaller build are shoved out wide to play as wingers while the stronger more physical lads take up the engine room.

The grass root level play on the field rear of my garden. I often say to my wife, "If they could play football as well as they loudly curse and swear they'd be worldbeaters!" Hoof it and hope players.

I thought that all lads played like this because of their age and their "amateurishness" until I went to Spain and watched their Spanish equivalent actually dribbling, controlling the ball. passing and doing one-twos, and generally trying to play good creative football. This is what teenage Matthews and Finney would have done.

I'm afraid England won't have a good enough side until children quit Facebook and chat rooms and get out daily playing football.

Futures bright.

Some outstanding talent there, pity we just dont have a world class goalkeeper to go with them then we'd be a force.

Some outstanding talent there, pity we just dont have a world class goalkeeper to go with them then we'd be a force.

Give over. It is not just the fact that our goalkeeping situation is not the best. As stated before we have got a few good players, but hardly world class. The fact remains that English players are struggling to break into their own first teams, reserve teams and now youth teams never mind break into the national team.

The english mentality still harbours back to Mr. Wilkinson and his predecessor as Technical Director to the FA whose technical qualifications was a CSE in Statistics.

Rovers still have Mr Downes down at the academy whose Football experience was gained by Wimbledon Crazy Gang. My mate's young lad was turned down by Rovers for not being Strong Enough at primary school level, but was offered several other Academies including City. Now he is at secondary level, Rovers are back sniffing but would want him to stop playing for sunday, school teams and playing in the street. As the main fun past time of the lad it is a huge comittment for a twelve year old.

The whole emphasis at primary school age needs to be on skill development and playing the game not physical development. Coaches need to develop football ability not play percentage stuff. Its no wonder kids are prefering other pastimes to the traditional football. Lets get back to basics, get the fun back into the game.

Just to add, there is probably a massive social problem in terms of the attitude of young people in Britain.

In the school I went to, about 70% of the best footballers had terrible attitudes. They were not just arrogant (goes without saying) but they also lacked commitment and application. In the latter school years, these guys with excellent ability simply couldn't be bothered with football and run-ins with the PE teachers were commonplace.

When I hear tales about our academy guys messing around, having the wrong attitude, thinking that they are God's gift to football....I often find myself wondering if it is this bad on the Continent. Of course, Sergio Peter was a numpty and you'll get that sort everywhere but British social culture seems to spawn the young prat better than anywhere else. (I am ready to be corrected by someone with better knowledge because I have only lived in England, so cannot say this with any certainty).

Rovers are back sniffing but would want him to stop playing for sunday, school teams and playing in the street. As the main fun past time of the lad it is a huge comittment for a twelve year old.

This isn't a Rovers thing, that will be pretty standard amongst all academies. The argument is that they are investing time and money into their footballing education and so should be first priority. That said, some kind of agreement can normally be worked out - I know it was when my brother was there.

This isn't a Rovers thing, that will be pretty standard amongst all academies. The argument is that they are investing time and money into their footballing education and so should be first priority. That said, some kind of agreement can normally be worked out - I know it was when my brother was there.

I know generally the Academies insist on this but it was the way Rovers kicked him into touch a couple of years ago, then when another local scout puts him back on the radar, Rovers come stomping in with their size 12s. They just did not sell themselves to my mate very well. My mate has decided that the lad will be better served, footballing wise and enjoying life where he is at present.

I think what they also miss out on by concentrating on football 24/7/365 is that the kids don't become skilled all around. Especially at a younger age, other sports are vital in building all around athletic ability.

You could argue that the US has turned out so many good keepers in recent times because they have honed dexterity and jumping/catching skills by playing basketball.

I think what they also miss out on by concentrating on football 24/7/365 is that the kids don't become skilled all around. Especially at a younger age, other sports are vital in building all around athletic ability.

That's probably a valid point. I know that most successful Swedish athletes that I know of played several different sports before deciding to focus on just one. Some kept on playing two sports until they were 18-19. Henrik Larsson even went back to playing floorball (None of you probably know the sport, but it's almost as big as football here in terms of active players) in the best league in the world this offseason. On the field vision/intelligence/anticipation, teamwork and such are very similar in all team sports, so that aspect carries over really well. The techincal ability gained in one sport might not do a whole lot in another, but the mental side of things is just as important. And a good swimming/tennis/basketball/whatever coach can teach things in that area that carries over into other sports as well.

Archived