BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Vs. Everton (preview)

BLACKBURN ROVERS vs. EVERTON – KICK OFF 8pm, 4th MARCH 2009 - BARCLAYS PREMIERSHIP

After arriving home from the Ricoh at 12.30am last night, thoughts turned to the importance of the Hull City match this Sunday, and of course to the next home game against Everton.

I'm hoping this preview brings us a victory as well, my track record is good, Norwich at home (3-0 The one where MGP half volleyed a strike at the Blackburn End), Middlesbrough at home (3-2 The one where Bellamy knelt down and cried), Fulham at home (2-0 The one where it poured down, Nonda scored) and Newcastle at home (3-1 The one where Bentley scored a cracking free kick in front of the Blackburn End).

So fingers crossed!

The Team - Everton Factfile

Full Name – Everton Football Club

Nicknames – The Toffees, The Blues, The People’s Club, The School of Science (inspired by the team of 1928)

Founded – 1878 as St Domingo Football Club

Ground – Goodison Park, capacity 40,158

Motto – Nil Statis Nisi Optimum, meaning, Nothing but the best is good enough

All time team – Southall, Stevens, Labone, Ratcliffe, Wilson, Steven, Ball, Reid, Sheedy, Dean, Sharp.

Honours – 9 1st Division League titles, 5 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, 9 Charity/Community Shields, 1 Cup Winners Cup.

The History - Memorable games at Ewood vs. Everton

22/09/2001 Blackburn Rovers 1-0 Everton (Grabbi’s first goal for the Rovers)

_1555355_grabbi300.jpg

10/09/1994 Blackburn Rovers 3-0 Everton (Wilcox and Shearer for Rovers in the title winning season)

25/12/1933 Blackburn 5-2 Everton (A Christmas day goal fest, made more unsual that Rovers played at Goodison on the boxing day and lost 5-0!)

08/11/1913 Blackburn Rovers 6-0 Everton (Biggest ever League win over Everton)

Overall Record at Ewood

Blackburn 37 wins – Everton 17 wins – 16 Draws – Rovers 140 goals – Everton 97 goals

Rovers/Everton lineup

1. Bobby Mimms

2. Keith Newton

3. Matt Woods

4. Howard Kendall

5. Craig Short

6. Mike Duxberry

7. Alan Irvine

8. Alan Ainscow

9. Roy Vernon

10. Duncan McKenzie

11. Mark Hughes

12. Marcus Bent

13. Francis Jeffers

14. Mike Newell

15. Lee Carsley

16. Glen Keeley

The Interview

Those of you who remember one of my previous previews, will recall that I got a celebrity Boro fan Roy ‘Chubby’ Brown to answer some questions. This time I’ve got someone a little bit more friendly.

Former World number 2 snooker player, 1991 World Champion, ex Question of Sport captain, BBC Snooker pundit, Grand National pundit, MBE, Evertonian and all round good guy John Parrott to answer some questions.

1. FA Cup run or 6th in the league?

Sooner win the FA Cup.

2. Moyes or Kendall?

Moyes is my favourite manager, he's superb. But Howard Kendall was also a very good manager.

3. Best player?

Duncan Ferguson. Unsurpassed in the air.

4. Best youngster?

Jack Rodwell.

5. Worst ever player?

Bakayoko Ibrahima.

6. Blackburn to be relegated?

I don't think so, they're too good a team to be relegated.

7. 1st Everton game?

1970 - I was 6 years old. At home to Manchester United.

8. Favourite all time player?

Mikel Arteta.

9. Advice to young snooker players?

Get your basics right and practice, practice, practice.

10. Best snooker player ever?

Ronnie O'Sullivan.

parrott2002df1.jpg

A big thank you to John who is currently running John Parrott Cue Sports, who sell snooker equipment. John Parrott's Cue Sports

The Game

Of course any team news can change, but Rovers and Everton will be without long term absentees Emerton and Reid for the Rovers, whilst for Everton, Mikel Arteta, Yakubu and Victor Anichebe.

One to Watch

Tim Cahill

The Australian is particularly dangerous from set pieces and has 6 goals and 3 assists to his name already this season.

Fantasy Star

Joleon Lescott

For those who play fantasy football this will come as no suprise, as the big defender is on a team who keeps plenty of clean sheets, whilst Lescott is a threat from set pieces, scoring 3 goals this season, along with two assists, to give him 119 points in the official Premier League fantasy game, placing him third amongst defenders, behind Jose Bosingwa (133 points) and Nemanja Vidic (151 points)

Tickets

Still Available, via www.onerovers.co.uk, via telephone 0871 222 1444 and at the ticket office at the ground.

Adults - 16.60

Seniors/Club 16-21 - £11.70

Juniors - £6.85

Predictions

I’ll leave that up to you, although I did run three games on my Xbox to get some inspiration.

Rovers vs. Everton, with the probable teams, i.e. no Arteta or Emerton.

Two games on FIFA 2009, and one on PES 2009. All three games ended in draws, two 0-0 on FIFA and a 1-1 on PES, with RSC scoring a last minute diving header to equalise after Leighton Baines had put Everton in front from a corner.

For further inspiration

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice read mate and good on you for getting the response from JP.

Cant believe you didnt have Jim Arnold in goal instead of Mimms !

Who is your manager ?

Got to say that next Wednesday has to see a Rovers team with lots of effort, guile and pride. Should we take 3 points at Hull, the Rovers have to approach the game with gusto. Everton are a team with injuries, a team that will come to Ewood and defend but a team that we know can score. They have played most of the season without a centre forward and find themselves in the top 8 teams and are established.

The first game of the season proved a false dawn for Ince, I was there to witness it but I saw enough pride and effort that gave us a resulting 3 points and a great day out on the lash in Liverpool.

Rovers have to take the game and I fancy a 1-0 win for the team in Blue and White halves.

I'll leave that up to you, although I did run three games on my Xbox to get some inspiration.

Rovers vs. Everton, with the probable teams, i.e. no Arteta or Emerton.

Two games on FIFA 2009, and one on PES 2009. All three games ended in draws, two 0-0 on FIFA and a 1-1 on PES, with RSC scoring a last minute diving header to equalise after Leighton Baines had put Everton in front from a corner.

For further inspiration

Practice, practice, practice :P

I'd be more than happy with a draw in this game, can't see us winning it. Anything more would be a timely bonus.

We need performances with passion from now till the end if we are to survive in this league and to be honest i'm a very worried man.

Come on Rovers!

Great Preview

Having watched Everton dispose fo WBA Rovers have been given a direct insight as to how Everton will set up.

They are solid across the back 4.

They have a runner in midfield in Piennar and a battler in old FUZZYMOP.

They are dangerous at set pieces.

Despite this WBA caused them untold problems and should have scored at least twice.

Rovers have got to be for the fight and keep a watch on Cahill.

Right then Comrades, our focus will no doubt be turned toWednesday night, i have a haircut at 6.15pm n will subsequently be bombing it up to Ewood for what I am predicting will be another BIG GAME and a very tense Ewood Park....

But most importantly for us, let's get behind Rovers! Everton will bring good support as usual, so let's really get behind the Blue 'n' White Halves and support Big Sam's rescue operation. :brfcsmilie::brfcsmilie::brfcsmilie::brfcsmilie:

Went to game today and David moyes was behind me at the petol staton.

I was next to Moyes on the flight down to London City Airport some 4 or so seasons back; he was going to watch us prior to the, being at Ewood at midweek. He asked me what I thought Rovers weak point was and I said David Gray at left back. They ran rings around Gray and beat us. Next time i'll keep my mouth shut!!

Moyes did share a cab with me from the airport to the Charlton ground; nice guy

I think we should stick to the 4-5-1, especially as Everton will pack the midfield as they do. Also, with Pedersen's suspension I reckon Warnock should be moved out wide, hopefully to accommodate Dunn's return to fitness.

Robinson

Ooijer - Samba - Nelsen - Givet

Diouf - Andrews - Dunn - Grella - Warnock

Santa Cruz

Why do we play in a such a defensive manner, when we playing at home? I know we in a scrap, but previous seasons as well, we would look like the away team at Ewood. We can play 4-4-2 against Everton, as they lack that edge down the wings. Im gonna say 1-0 win for Rovers.

Archived