BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Laptop Ram And Cpu

Instead of buying a new laptop, I thought i'd save a few pennies and upgrade the old dear.

I have a Advent 7108. Almost 2 years old now and the engine could do with a turbo.

I've been looking at some RAM upgrades and a new processor.

It's only got a intel celeron m 410 1.46ghz and 512mb of ram, so if i was to upgrade, does it need to be Advent manufactured and how easy is it to open the laptop up and change it without breaking it?

Was thinking of 2gb ram and 2.8ghz processor?

I just want to speed the thing up, I don't need to worry about the hard drive because I got 60gb and i'm only using 15gb, so got plenty of space left.

Any help is much appreciated.

Instead of buying a new laptop, I thought i'd save a few pennies and upgrade the old dear.

I have a Advent 7108. Almost 2 years old now and the engine could do with a turbo.

I've been looking at some RAM upgrades and a new processor.

It's only got a intel celeron m 410 1.46ghz and 512mb of ram, so if i was to upgrade, does it need to be Advent manufactured and how easy is it to open the laptop up and change it without breaking it?

Was thinking of 2gb ram and 2.8ghz processor?

I just want to speed the thing up, I don't need to worry about the hard drive because I got 60gb and i'm only using 15gb, so got plenty of space left.

Any help is much appreciated.

Hi Presty, Unless you are upgrading the CPU yourself – it would probably be more cost effective to buy a new laptop or keep the one you have- in its current state.

Replacing RAM is easy, its just a matter of finding the rights stick for you laptop; If you have no experience of replacing the CPU I would think twice. You will probably have to dismantle the whole machine- including the screen.

I have envisage that if you took your Laptop to a shop it would cost you between £250-300 in parts and Labour

Cheers fella for the quick response.

I've done some research on the net and apparently changing the cpu maybe difficult like you said, so I think i'll leave it alone.

I think the ram could be worth a go if it's easy enough to replace.

I found this 2gb ram

Only 18.99, is it alright?

If you go onto Crucial's site on the laptop you want to upgrade and use their scan tool it'll tell you what memory type you need and then you can check the ebay stuff out against it.

Archived