BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Coming To See The Rovers...

Look4Me

I've seen threads like this before, but couldn't find any now, so I'll just make my own.

My wife has given me a trip to see the Rovers at home, which will be a first time for me.

We've set our sights on going for the Wigan game at the 26th of April.

We'll be flying to and from Liverpool, since it's the cheapest coming from Norway, but from what I've read on here before, would people recommend finding a hotel in Manchester? Is it right that Blackburn isn't the place to stay for several days?

If so, what is the best way for going from Manchester to Blackburn on a sunday and back again?

I assume tickets won't be a big problem, even for the Wigan game? Best way is to contact the ticket office before leaving here?

Also, where in the stadium would be good to sit?

Feel this sounded kinda messy, but my mind wasn't clearer right now :-) Will be thankful for any tips.

Cheers!

I've seen threads like this before, but couldn't find any now, so I'll just make my own.

My wife has given me a trip to see the Rovers at home, which will be a first time for me.

We'll be flying to and from Liverpool, since it's the cheapest coming from Norway, but from what I've read on here before, would people recommend finding a hotel in Manchester? Is it right that Blackburn isn't the place to stay for several days?

If so, what is the best way for going from Manchester to Blackburn on a sunday and back again?

I assume tickets won't be a big problem, even for the Wigan game? Best way is to contact the ticket office before leaving here?

Feel this sounded kinda messy, but my mind wasn't clearer right now :-) Will be thankful for any tips.

Cheers!

Hi there Look4Me, what a considerate wife you have! Does she have any single sisters ;)

Anyway, in response to your request for information, it would be helpful to know a few things like:

1) how long are you planning to stay?

2) Do you plan to rent a car whilst here (your options are greater if you do)

3) Do you prefer cities or countryside?

4) What is your budget for the trip?

I'm not looking for responses to 1-4 above, by the way - I just thought it would be worthwhile for you to consider the ideas in planning your trip.

I agree that Blackburn itself is not really a destination in which to spend a few days as a visitor. However, depending upon your preferences, you could choose to stay in a country hotel in the beautiful Ribble Valley (close to Blackburn) or in a city such as Manchester or Liverpool and take in the broad variety of sights and sounds available in the North West of the UK.

I hope you have a great time whilst you are here, wherever you choose to stay :) Oh, and of course if the Rovers lose when you do go, you will be banished back to Norway as a bringer of doom, gloom and despondency.

Have fun!

:rover:

So are you planning on staying for a few days? Plenty of hotels at reasonable rates in the centre of Manchester if you want a bit of nightlife and other tourist attractions like the museums, shopping etc. Alternatively, there are quite a few nice country hotels in the Lancashire area in and around Blackburn and Preston if you fancy a more rural setting. It may be worth you hiring a car at Liverpool airport - that way you could easily get up to the lake district if you so wanted. If you get a hire car and stay in Manchester make sure you check out the hotel parking facilities. Ages since I took a train from Manchester to Blackburn so I don't know how frequently they run on a Sunday.

Tickets you should get sorted before you travel - you can pick them up at the ground. In the stadium it's all subjective - I'd say Blackburn End is best for atmosphere, Jack Walker stand is the best overall view.

Hope this gives you some ideas and welcome!

Thanks a lot for your replies!

It won't be that long a stay, flying in on the 24th and leaving on the 28th.

I'm not sure how I'd do driving on the "wrong" side of the road ;-) I managed L.A. traffic nicely last autumn, but it's something else thinking completely different from what I'm used to.

Of course I hope I'm the one bringing sunshine and a big win. Would be well deserved for all parties :-)

I've driven on the "wrong" side of the road in USA and found it easy. But I dare not use a car in Spain. It's all to do with how the road system is organised and how those using it behave. You may not find it as difficult as you think to drive here.

Remember that you, behind the steering wheel, should always be nearest the middle of the road. Take great care turning right. Hire an automatic. Then you won't be feeling for a gear lever on the wrong side.

If you stay in Manchester or Liverpool, you should really hire a car, especially for a Sunday game.

Blackburn End if you like to watch football to and fro and great atmosphere.

Jack Walker Stand for side to side and a good view of the pitch......but not much atmosphere.

Riverside stand for side to side, good view of the best three parts of the stadium, and good atmosphere.

If you plan to sit in the Riverside, remember to get as bad tempered as you can, maybe be losing some money, or having an argument with your wife. Only then can you really enjoy the Riverside experience. (Sadly I'll be in Hamburg, so you have sit in my halfway line seat).

And give Manchester a look.

Tickets usually go on sale 3 weeks prior to the fixture, you'll be able to purchase the tickets online and collect the tickets on the day on www.onerovers.co.uk

If you're planning to travel by train to Blackburn, ask for a 'duo ticket' - Half price on the second ticket when 2 adults travel together. There trains every hour from Preston, Bolton and Manchester to Blackburn and if you need to check travel times or book your tickets visit www.nationalrail.co.uk

The best suggestion would probably be not to bother. But if you're deadset on it then I hope you have a good time and bring us some luck.

Remember that you, behind the steering wheel, should always be nearest the middle of the road.

I've always thought that driving on the "wrong side" would be very difficult and have therefore avoided it, but this sounds like great advice. Simple but fool proof. I'll need to remember that.

I've driven on the "wrong" side of the road in USA and found it easy. But I dare not use a car in Spain. It's all to do with how the road system is organised and how those using it behave. You may not find it as difficult as you think to drive here.

Remember that you, behind the steering wheel, should always be nearest the middle of the road. Take great care turning right. Hire an automatic. Then you won't be feeling for a gear lever on the wrong side.

If you stay in Manchester or Liverpool, you should really hire a car, especially for a Sunday game.

Blackburn End if you like to watch football to and fro and great atmosphere.

Jack Walker Stand for side to side and a good view of the pitch......but not much atmosphere.

Riverside stand for side to side, good view of the best three parts of the stadium, and good atmosphere.

Driving in Spain's fine once you've encountered the first oncoming HGV - you always drive on the correct side afterwards!

Cheers!

Hotels in Manchester - Great John Street Hotel (see website) is an absolute hidden gem. Well situated and a third of the price of The Lowry. The Radisson Edwardian is also very good. Note - rooms in Manchester are very scarce if Man U are at home but you can usually get a cancellation at a Premier Travel Inn or Travelodge around 4pm on the day.

Note - rooms in Manchester are very scarce if Man U are at home but you can usually get a cancellation at a Premier Travel Inn or Travelodge around 4pm on the day.

United are at home to Tottenham on the Saturday night so cheap beds in Manchester will be hard to find on that night. Given you're over for 4 nights you can easily split them between some different places. Don't rule out Liverpool for a short stay either - plenty to see and do these days. Everton are at home that weekend to man City so there should be less pressure on hotel rooms there.

Driving on the other side of the road is not really a problem. the problem is volume of traffic in england compared to a lot of other countries. We drive in france a lot and have never had problems even in the city centres because apart from Paris there isn't that much traffic. Even small towns in england have heavy traffic. That means you don't get a lot of time to think.

Rule out Liverpool.

I can recommend staying in Liverpool as well as Manchester. Liverpool has improved a lot in the last year. Both cities has lots to offer, but it is easier to get to/from Ewood from Manchester! Just get on the train to Clitheroe from Manchester Victoria.

When in Blackburn I have been staying at The Bear - It smells of damp but does the job and is close to the ground.

But yes. I only stay for one night before heading onto Manchester where I then stay at Sachas which is very nice indeed and right slap bang in town,

If your interested I also nearly always go here to eat - Click because its very very nice indeed

Why not try the M65 Blackburn Travelodge. Cheap £48 per night and clean. Also within walking distance of Ewood Park.

Visit My Website

You could also call at the Golden Cup on your way down for a nice pint of Thwaites' :D

If you prefer country living you could come out into the beautiful Ribble Valley too. There are decent places to stay in Clitheroe and the Calf's Head in Worston is very good, both to stay and to eat.

QUOTE (Stonesrick @ Feb 27 2009, 17:32 ) *

Why not try the M65 Blackburn Travelodge. Cheap £48 per night and clean. Also within walking distance of Ewood Park.

Visit My Website

Seen rats on the car park twice.

Well it's not surprising - Dingles do sometimes venture down the M65 occasionally :lol:

Seen rats on the car park twice.

Saw an ugly purple car there once...

I recommend the Fernhurst for the night before and/or after the match because of the friendly staff and close proximity to the park.

Archived