BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Attack On Cricketers In Pakistan

It was always going to happen, it was just a matter of when.

I won't make any further comment until it's certain who did it, but it does not look good, does it.

edit:

Upto five Sri Lankan players injured some police killed.

It was always going to happen, it was just a matter of when.

I won't make any further comment until it's certain who did it, but it does not look good, does it.

edit:

Upto five Sri Lankan players injured some police killed.

Why not make comment Dave? Ban Pakistan tours from International Cricket until they get themselves sorted.

Here's a link to the story, fortunately early reports suggest that the injuries to the players and coaches are minor

It's very sad to see this happen, but rather than being a concern for the ICC and cricket in general I think this is more worrying for Pakistan and the sub-continent. I don't think any of this can be blamed on the Pakistan Cricket board for a failure to take security matters seriously, it is simply the case that the sub-continent is not currently a safe area of the world and no matter what measures are taken there is no feasible way for athletes and teams to travel there safely.

The only way I could think that a suspension to Pakistan's home tests could be avoided is if the gunmen end up being tied to Sri Lankan terrorist groups.

Very true Eddie.

Let's see what happens from here. Whilst I think India is (relatively) safe Pakistan and Sri Lanka are looking a little perilous.

A bit concerned as a friends son is getting married in june and we were due to go to the wedding in Colombo.

Guest Kamy100

Very sad to read these reports and thoughts go out to the families of the policemen who were killed and the Sri Lankan players/coaching staff who have been directly affected by this, on Sky news they interviewed Dominic Cork who is out there commentating and he missed this by 5 minutes, looks like Chris Broad was in the coach behind, their driver was killed and Simon Taufel (Sp) was hurt.

Looks the only answer to this is for the time being ban all international tours to Pakistan, it is just not safe to go there at the moment, I was always fearful that this would happen. Pakistan can still play their "home" games in places like Sharjah, Dubai or even here in the UK.

This is indeed very bad news. I wouldn't be the biggest cricket fan by any means, but I would still follow it from time to time. Frankly though, this a horrific incident, cricket team or not. But it just goes to show that even the most high profile of people aren't safe from these sort of lunatics. As everyone else has pointed out, it's just safe in Pakistan at the moment and nothing would delight these nutters more than killing some high profile people.

oh look the resident Physics expert is now Brfcs resident cricket tsar.

It was not forseeable because no sports team has ever been targeted like this. The closest was nz but they were not deliberatly targeted.

The irreverant part of me thinks its members of the bowlers union taking revenge for a godawful pitch.

The rest of me is gutted for Pakistani cricket. I presume their home tests will be played in Dubai from now on

It was not forseeable because no sports team has ever been targeted like this. The closest was nz but they were not deliberatly targeted.

Really? Why dont you organise a stag do there then? Be cheaper than Prague. :rolleyes:

btw I'm busy all that week. ;)

whats that got to do with anything?

Maybe the attackers did it because they were bored and needed to keep awake

I would suggest that you refrained from commentating on topics that you obviously have no knowledge of, but that would restrict you to very few subjects wouldnt it? :wtsu:

Really? Why dont you organise a stag do there then? Be cheaper than Prague. :rolleyes:

btw I'm busy all that week. ;)

Hahahaha!

If it wasn't foreseeable then why did the Sri Lankans have a security detail with them? Were they worried that the Sri Lankans would run off without paying their hotel bill?

I doubt we'll see international cricket in Pakistan for some years to come.

Tragic news for the 5 policemen who died but it could have ended up so much worse in terms of fatalities. Problem for Pakistan is that it's hard to forsee a time when it will be any safer to go than this. And without home international cricket, the game is going to die a death in that country.

Guest Kamy100

I also can't see International Cricket returning to Pakistan in the near future and the world cup is likely to be moved.

I don't think that it would be death of the game in Pakistan, I was there last March and I saw how much people love the game, it is very much like India. People will watch the games on TV and the national competitions such as the twenty/twenty cup attract good crowds.

Just a sad day for the people of Pakistan who love the game and of course for the people who were directly targeted by these nutcases.

. And without home international cricket, the game is going to die a death in that country.

In the long term , that is the real worry.

With Zimbabwe effectively lost to international cricket, the game struggling to survive in the West Indies (despite England's best efforts at present), the international cricket community is shrinking and cannot afford to lose Pakistan as well.

Pakistanis love their cricket but people will turn to other sports if they cannot watch their team perform at home.

I'd never tour Pakistan if I was a cricket player. The country is falling apart right now, and there are many Islamic loons wanting to kill and kidnap. There needs to be a big push to market cricket in new countries. Japan might buy into it if you say its quintisentially English and is associated with drinking whiskey on a summers day. Or something like that, I'd need to think a bit more. Another change could be to try and do what rugby league did with the recent world cup and have a group or two of lesser teams with a route to the semi finals. It is gerrymandering, but it might help the game in the long term.

Very true Eddie.

Let's see what happens from here. Whilst I think India is (relatively) safe Pakistan and Sri Lanka are looking a little perilous.

A bit concerned as a friends son is getting married in june and we were due to go to the wedding in Colombo.

The cruise ships have stopped calling at Columbo.

Well hurry up! We're all relying on you!

Cheeky. For some reason I can see it being a success. They love golf and whiskey, so there is a love for traditional things from this part of the world, although they are associated with Scotland. It has eccentric names for things, can take an age to complete the game, and has lots of strange things unique to it. It is waiting to take Japan by storm.

Pakistanis love their cricket but people will turn to other sports if they cannot watch their team perform at home.

Aye Jim; the NBA are rumoured to be desperately trying to fill the void with a whirlwind Kashmiri based All-Stars fixture, whilst not to be outdone, Premier League chiefs are in frantic negotiations with Pakistani officials to secure the rights to play the elusive 39th game in Karachi. David Beckham is reportedly considering a special one off loan move for the privilege of captaining the first EPL match on the sub-continent.

In the absence of international cricket, somehow it's not easy to envisage that much competition from many other global sports.

Aye Jim; the NBA are rumoured to be desperately trying to fill the void with a whirlwind Kashmiri based All-Stars fixture, whilst not to be outdone, Premier League chiefs are in frantic negotiations with Pakistani officials to secure the rights to play the elusive 39th game in Karachi. David Beckham is reportedly considering a special one off loan move for the privilege of captaining the first EPL match on the sub-continent.

In the absence of international cricket, somehow it's not easy to envisage that much competition from many other global sports.

Cricket isn't a global sport because it is played only by the home nations and the former British colonies..

And basketball is not a global sport either but that hasn't prevented it taking over from cricket to become the No 1 sport in the West Indies, one of the reasons why West Indies cricket has been in decline for so long.

Hockey is a very big sport in Pakistan and football is rising in popularity too and while it is difficult to see those sports taking over from cricket in Pakistani sports fans' affections a long term ban on home international fixtures will do irreparable damage to Pakistan cricket.

Archived