BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stoke - Away Travel By Train

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our problem away is that only the 'chavs' at the top ever seem to sing. The majority seem to sit down and not make any noise, which can make the away end very quiet! These chavs are often idiotic and don't know many good chants.

Oh dear, I forgot the grammar police were about. For the fifth away game this season haha!

Wasn't intending to have a go at you. It just amused me the prospect of your driving up and down the motorway to the dump that is Stoke and having to come back again cos you were there on the wrong day.

Our problem away is that only the 'chavs' at the top ever seem to sing.

Oi I sing and I am no Chav - No tarring brushes here please sambo think you need to distinguish :P (could be described as idiotic at times though but not like I used to be in my younger days) as there are many on here could take exception.

At the very front at Hull and singing - had the 'si' down' crew behind us though.

I'm just generalising, don't mean EVERYBODY doesn't sing, as I am a chav and like to think I sing.

And a lot of them who do sing are chavs, without being generally intelligent and mainly berating stewards.

I have seen some great away days and some poorer ones.... but at times people seem to go away, sit down and don't contribute to cheering the team on!

Believe me, by the time I've sorted out food and flasks for the journey (can't afford to buy at the match) and got Mr Roversmum and his disabled buggy sorted out and there, I'm pretty much exhausted, so much as I would like to have the energy to sing, it's as much as I can cope with to follow the match! Please Sir, please don't stop me from going because I do love it in spite of everything.... :mellow:

Believe me, by the time I've sorted out food and flasks for the journey (can't afford to buy at the match) and got Mr Roversmum and his disabled buggy sorted out and there, I'm pretty much exhausted, so much as I would like to have the energy to sing, it's as much as I can cope with to follow the match! Please Sir, please don't stop me from going because I do love it in spite of everything.... :mellow:

My thought exactly. It's me who organises routes and where to pick up offspring and who has to be dropped off where afterwards and food and whether we can afford to eat somewhere en route or whether we need sandwiches. it's me who makes them and makes sure there's enough for the kids to take some on their journey back to Uni etc. As I said, I leap about as madly as anyone else if we score and I get as annoyed as anyone else over poor refereeing decisions etc but sing to motivate the team - no I don't but i still love going.

Good idea by the club so long as it doesn't attract the same (JW upper stand) crowd that turned out at the breezeblock.

I can assure you , as one of the JW Upper Stand crowd , that one of the main reasons many have stopped going to away games is that they are sick and tired of being placed amongst pi$$ed up kids who are seemingly more intent on baiting the stewards and singing about Burnley than actually taking any notice of the game itself .

It's high time that the club came up with a simple method of separating the mature fans from those more recent products of the English educational system . Perhaps if they asked those buying tickets whether they wished to "sing" or stand up regardless of whom is sat behind them and placed those that did in a distant corner somewhere as far away from myself as possible that might do the trick ......

I agree that would be best for everyone as imo opinion the atmosphere at recent away games has improved. Maybe because as you said ''the JW upper crowd'' aren't going to away games/ maybe not.

So forgive me if I got this wrong but people who sing at football games are all recent products of the English education system (chavs) and people who don't are mature ? :rolleyes:

I can assure you mate that I am no recent product of the English education system but I do like to ''support my club away from home'' but I agree there does seem to be a lot of young lads going to have a good time which is bang out of order imo. We should all go to football games to sit down and watch the game in silence.

Nothing wrong with being vocal , getting behind the team etc ...That's how it seemed to be at Fulham from all reports last night . It sounded good on the box anyway .

Not all supporters , though , want to take the lead from the "2 pound an hour" Burnley baiting brigade that foul the away ends up at all too many of the matches I've been to in recent years .

What seems to be a good idea , as has been mentioned in the Fulham thread , is the idea of a neutral zone . I'd certainly go in there and sit and watch the game in more comfort with the family than I would do so sat amongst the knuckle scrapers . Then we'd all be happy ....... :brfc:

TBH the neutral zone is only going to work when smaller clubs come, can you imagine the Darwen end being neutral when we play the likes of Liverpool and United at home. The same must happen at Fulham when United, Chelsea and other big travelling away supporters attend Craven Cottage.

Lets be honest when we play Stoke City the atmosphere is going to be pretty hostile so the lads are going to need plenty of support from their fans.

Good idea by the club so long as it doesn't attract the same (JW upper stand) crowd that turned out at the breezeblock.

I've been to Everton, Newcastle, Blyth, West Brom, Wigan, Bolton, Hull so far this season and have to say the atmosphere at most of those games have been excellent from our fans.

However the worst for me was Bolton were we took our biggest away crowd. We were shocking (as was the match) and I really hope that the same fans don't travel to Stoke as we need a strong vocal support imo as we know they will be loud. It's okay saying I go to watch the football and it's up to me if I want to sing but I think the players want to hear the support from the fans rather than see a large number of supporters who aren't getting behind them vocally.

I don't think quantity is an issue as I went to Salzburg and the 700 fans there were unbelievable.

Myself and wife are season ticket holders and both sit in the JW upper and have every intention of going to Stoke (unless a banning order is placed on us).

We both cheer when we score and do a bit of clapping occasionally but generaly give support to a team we have watched since 1959.

Those that say that the inhabitants of the JW upper should not attend due to lack of vocal commitment should sit where I sit and listen to the Blackburn end being outsung by away supporters every home game if they want to see lack of vocal support.

Nothing wrong with being vocal , getting behind the team etc ...That's how it seemed to be at Fulham from all reports last night . It sounded good on the box anyway .

Well it certainly wasn't just the chavs singing last night - amongst a wall of noise there were several chants not regularly heard, including the Andre Ooijer one which must be the world's first recorded use of a Leonard Cohen tune for a football chant.

Those that say that the inhabitants of the JW upper should not attend due to lack of vocal commitment should sit where I sit and listen to the Blackburn end being outsung by away supporters every home game if they want to see lack of vocal support.

Hear hear! Up the JW upper posse!

Its normal for the away fans to be louder. Maybe if you joined in, you wouldnt notice the away end too much!

Well it certainly wasn't just the chavs singing last night - amongst a wall of noise there were several chants not regularly heard, including the Andre Ooijer one which must be the world's first recorded use of a Leonard Cohen tune for a football chant.

Which chant was that O2G? What other chants were going?

Away games are quality, I love the banter with the lads and I think our support at Stoke will be pretty loud and 'up for it'. Il be there thats for sure and il be singing the whole game - win, lose or draw

We are all different and entitled to support our team in whichever way we want. It's good to see such a cross section of young, middle aged, older, male, female, kids, races, JW upper, Blackburn Enders etc attending Ewood Park and away matches.

The interesting thing about Fulham was that despite a poor first half and being 1-0 down, the majority of the away support were cheering, singing, clapping and generally getting behind the team. It was probably based on the fact that there is a realisation that we are in deep trouble and at times like these supporters give it that little bit extra.

I have to admit that in times of adversity, such as this season, I have made it my business to get to more than my usual quota of away matches. Since the new year that means Boro, Hull, Fulham, Arsenal, Stoke, Citeh and maybe Chelsea. I maybe fortunate that the cost does not impact massively on my pocket as it may do for younger supporters with families but hey, I have been there and after grafting to earn a living since I was sixteen, and putting this country where it is today :wacko: I think I deserve that.

I do however draw the line at ticket prices and will refuse to pay around £40 at Old Trafford, Anfield etc, especially if it's on TV and will pick and choose to pay £24 at Hull etc.

I will make it clear now that if we are safe, fingers crossed, by the time we play Chelsea, then I will NOT fork out over £40 to attend this match.

Call me a part-time supporter if you wish but I have one advantage over all the 20 Premier League clubs in this country and that it the CHOICE to attend matches or listen to it on Radio Lancs and the CHOICE to attend whichever away matches I want to and the CHOICE to sing, shout or watch the match quietly in my own bubble. And thankfully that is something NOBODY on this planet can take away from me.

We are all different and entitled to support our team in whichever way we want. It's good to see such a cross section of young, middle aged, older, male, female, kids, races, JW upper, Blackburn Enders etc attending Ewood Park and away matches.

The interesting thing about Fulham was that despite a poor first half and being 1-0 down, the majority of the away support were cheering, singing, clapping and generally getting behind the team. It was probably based on the fact that there is a realisation that we are in deep trouble and at times like these supporters give it that little bit extra.

I have to admit that in times of adversity, such as this season, I have made it my business to get to more than my usual quota of away matches. Since the new year that means Boro, Hull, Fulham, Arsenal, Stoke, Citeh and maybe Chelsea. I maybe fortunate that the cost does not impact massively on my pocket as it may do for younger supporters with families but hey, I have been there and after grafting to earn a living since I was sixteen, and putting this country where it is today :wacko: I think I deserve that.

I do however draw the line at ticket prices and will refuse to pay around £40 at Old Trafford, Anfield etc, especially if it's on TV and will pick and choose to pay £24 at Hull etc.

I will make it clear now that if we are safe, fingers crossed, by the time we play Chelsea, then I will NOT fork out over £40 to attend this match.

Call me a part-time supporter if you wish but I have one advantage over all the 20 Premier League clubs in this country and that it the CHOICE to attend matches or listen to it on Radio Lancs and the CHOICE to attend whichever away matches I want to and the CHOICE to sing, shout or watch the match quietly in my own bubble. And thankfully that is something NOBODY on this planet can take away from me.

I too refuse to pay for the clubs that charge fancy prices, which is why i've nevr been to OT Chelsea or Arsenal. The kids have been to all of those as a treat, but for myself i will not pay it. Like you we usually target games where we get good prices so more of us can go, or we choose games that fit with our travelling around the country on our way to somewhere else e.g West Brom on way back from dover, the Boro to visit my dad, Stoke on the way back from Portsmouth etc

Delighted at our vocal backing at Fulham. We can be really good, sometimes though we aren't away. The chavs often sing stupid songs eg "Brad Jones is a paedophile" at Boro. I'm not talking about every away game, just some. I prefer the away days where everyone is singing and getting behind the team, rather than steward baiting. Although we have improved considerably lately.

Our problem away is that only the 'chavs' at the top ever seem to sing. The majority seem to sit down and not make any noise, which can make the away end very quiet! These chavs are often idiotic and don't know many good chants.

I'm far from a 'chav' but when I go to an away game I always try my best to get towards the back so that I can be close to where people are going to be singing!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived