BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dvd Issues

HELP!!!

Iv never had a problem burning DVD's, but lately my DVD player is saying its complete and then coming up with an error.

I use ConvertXtoDVD to burn dvd's and using Sony discs.

Part of the error message contains "Write error at 382960 (16)" and also "code 05 21 02"

Anyone know what my issues are? Iv unistalled the software and re-installed but it didnt solve it either. Is it my drivers? Also does anyone know of any free places to fix and update my drivers (this could be my issue?).

I tried that, but couldnt really find a definitive answer.

Iv got a good media (sony) and iv got enough space on my hard-drive. Iv also got the latest driver downloads, so im stuck!!

Have you tried manually converting the xvids with other packages and then burning with other software like nero? Or maybe try ripping a dvd and then burning that straight back to disc. See if it is the software or the DVD writer on its way out.

Hughesy

I have had a similar problem and it was driving me nuts - given that it looks like you have tried every logical option I'm fairly sure it's the actual media you are using. Even though you have Sony disks there's a good chance that these are made by a 3rd Party Korean or Chinese company and are of inferior quality (I'm not saying all Chinese goods are inferior of course (come on - people have been warned for less than that on here ;) ) Sony have merely branded them.

If you want to know who actually manufactured your DVD's you need the MEDIA ID. The link at the bottom of the page has a tool you can use to identify your DVD manufacturer.

Short Answer:

What I would suggest is that you try burning with another make of disc - I would highly recommend VERBATIM DVD-R disks - they seem to burn on almost any DVD R/W on any platform.

Like I say though have a quick read of this link it explains better than I and you can download the tool which tells you who really made your disc.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Snatchy - I checked my media type. They are Sony D21 and therefore fit into the 'excellent' bracket. So surely that wont be the issue??

Im pretty sure I can burn a file using imgburn - at least it let me last week. Il have to re-test that.

Snatchy - I checked my media type. They are Sony D21 and therefore fit into the 'excellent' bracket. So surely that wont be the issue??

Im pretty sure I can burn a file using imgburn - at least it let me last week. Il have to re-test that.

You'd be surprised. I've found on a number of occassions simply buying new discs has solved a problem.

I tried burning a data cd using imgburn. I stuck a load of old pics on a cd-r, worked fine.

So does that suggest my burner is working ok? It does to me.

Did you fill the whole DVD though? It might be that the laser is getting old and can't write a certain angles any more.

I see you are thinking of getting a new external drive. for £40, anything will do. I treat drives just like anything else these days, can get an internal one for £20 so bin if is constantly makes coasters.

The suggestion about the disks isn't too far fetched by the way. even with the best makes, there can be bad batches. try a different type or another batch to make sure.

Archived