BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fergus Suter

Hi there

Fergus Suter played for Rovers throughout the 1880s.

I'm currently researching Suter's career as he was one of Partick's earliest football characters. I'm a Partick Thistle supporter, hence the connection.

Do any of the various Rovers histories contain details on his Rovers career - perhaps Mike Jackman's books or the reprint of the Francis 1925 book? I'm interested to know his playing statistics. I have also come across a number of articles on the web about him, but would appreciate any links to info. He appeared to retire from football when he stopped playing with Rovers.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Cheers

Niall Kennedy

Hi there

Fergus Suter played for Rovers throughout the 1880s.

I'm currently researching Suter's career as he was one of Partick's earliest football characters. I'm a Partick Thistle supporter, hence the connection.

Do any of the various Rovers histories contain details on his Rovers career - perhaps Mike Jackman's books or the reprint of the Francis 1925 book? I'm interested to know his playing statistics. I have also come across a number of articles on the web about him, but would appreciate any links to info. He appeared to retire from football when he stopped playing with Rovers.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Cheers

Niall Kennedy

I only now his name as being the first professional footballer, when you weren't ment to be one. I know nothing else about him.

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/wiki/index.php/1875-1879 This is from our wiki written by FLB, that page and others contain snippets about him.

In the book Blackburn Rovers A Century of Soccer 1875-1975 it says that he made 1 league appearance in the 1888-89 season (I think this was his final year).

In addition he played 38 games in teh FA Cup scoring 3 goals.

Thanks all

I had seen FLB's wiki pages. They. and other articles I have seen, refer to Suter playing for Partick Thistle when in fact he played for Partick FC - a different club. Its a bit like confusing Blackburn Rovers with Blackburn Olympic.

Suter was known as Fergie. He was named Fergus - his proper Sunday name.

Archived