BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs Preview

Appointing a northern manager is not the image I want this club to have. This local mentality is exactly what the club needs to get away from. I'm sure Mancini would have achieved similar results had he been appointed and by name alone would have more chance of persuading the likes of Cruz to stay.

We appointed Paul Ince, he isn't northern. How did that turn out Vinjay?

Having a Northern manager is just a coincidence, John Williams doesn't go through the CVs and chuck away the foreigners. No club goes out looking for managers from their own region. If that was the case then Bolton's next manager would be Peter Kay!!

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I the only person bemused by this witch hunt against Waggy? He isn't saying he wants us to get relegated or even that he thinks BFS will get us relegated; he's saying he doesn't like the man or his methods.

I didn't realise that wanting us to stay up or respecting the fact that we are getting the points to stay up automatically means that we all must develop a crush on Allardyce. I never liked Saxton much, but I was no more or less a Rovers fan than before or after he was there.

Personally, I like the fact he has turned things around, but the footy is mostly sh!t to watch. He's a manager who needs to keep getting results because that the only thing to like really.

what more can a manager do, then to get results??, We could be playing nice neat on the floor football like west brom have done for bit this season, but that does not mean you are always going to get the results you want does it. You have to mix your play up just like what sam is doing at rovers at the moment and the key is to play to your strenghts!!!

He shouldn't be thanked for anything until the season is over. Only then can he be assessed in terms of impact he's achieved nothing yet. It looks promising that he will but the fact is he hasn't...yet.

I didn't want him appointed in the summer and I won't act like a hypocrite and shower endless praise on him. I don't hate him but I won't hail him as a genius for recent upturns in form other managers of reasonable competence could have achieved. The mistake really was not appointing Ten Cate (in the summer) and the fact he was interested shows what a big club BRFC is. That is Jack Walker's legacy and it should be respected.

Appointing a northern manager is not the image I want this club to have. This local mentality is exactly what the club needs to get away from. I'm sure Mancini would have achieved similar results had he been appointed and by name alone would have more chance of persuading the likes of Cruz to stay.

even if we appointed Mancini or Ten Cate we would still be stuggling with our finances.

Guest Vinjay606
what more can a manager do, then to get results??, We could be playing nice neat on the floor football like west brom have done for bit this season, but that does not mean you are always going to get the results you want does it. You have to mix your play up just like what sam is doing at rovers at the moment and the key is to play to your strenghts!!!

even if we appointed Mancini or Ten Cate we would still be stuggling with our finances.

Regardless of finances being made available I expected something better than a relegation battle with the current squad of players.

Or next season we could aim to play like Wigan and Fulham - good attractive and successful football, or are those clubs out of our reach as well? But there's no point discussing it, anyone who thinks the current style of play is a temporary measure is deluding themselves.

Regardless of finances being made available I expected something better than a relegation battle with the current squad of players.

it was a mistake of appointing Ince in the summer, if Sam had been appointed in the summer, which he should of been we would not be in a relegation scrap that we are in now.

Or next season we could aim to play like Wigan and Fulham - good attractive and successful football, or are those clubs out of our reach as well? But there's no point discussing it, anyone who thinks the current style of play is a temporary measure is deluding themselves.

i think wigan and Fulham mix it up as well, with long balls. With the injurys and the lack of flair especially in midfield at the moment, i think playing it long at the moment is the best way to play especially the situation we are in the league. Come next season if we stay up i think we will still see the long balls, but if sam is given the money to spend on some flair players, i think you will see some so called attractive football as well.

as this thread has become a general kick around I'll add my two penniesworth on the sale/funding/trustees issue.

The correct sale price of anything is what the market will pay, not what you think it's worth. Fact - we haven't got a buyer, therefore the trustees are asking too much. The correct purchase price means that the buyer has got his/her sums right and can follow their business plan and invest a budgeted amount each year. We haven't got a buyer therefore we have nothing to invest.

To survive (not prosper) we have to spend AT LEAST what everyone else spends, we can get away with taking the odd liberty but eventually it catches up and then we're doomed. Right now it's probably caught up.

If the trustees want rid then they have to sell for the market price. If they want to keep hold then they have to put in what any new buyer would ie at least the going rate of the rest of the league.

The trustees then COULD sell but they WON'T because they would LOSE money and surely that is NOT what Jack's will was about. I haven't seen it but I would be stunned if it said the purpose of the club was to make money for the trustees or family, my guess is the other way around the trustees/family make money for the club.

I'm not advocating borrowing, that's stupid. The chairman is doing a great job and is keeping the club in a sound condition (I'm a fan), but the trustees are not doing a great job. We cannot survive on the odd crumb from their table, we need investment. We need a whole new mid field right now, mainly because they wouldn't spend on an annual basis so now we need a big lump sum.

I said somewhere else on the board that the trustees should Sh1t or get off the pot and I still believe this. Everyone else associated with this club is going balls out to keep us in the elite - with one single collective exception. Time for the Jersey Boys to stand up and cough up or tell us why not.

Guest Vinjay606

In reference to them making money for the club as far as I know their other businesses are profitable. I have no doubt Jack wanted a continuation of funding but other than a mass protest in his honour nothing will change regarding their methods.

There's really no hope of them offering anything approaching decent backing. The one difference that seems apparent from 2005 is that they have appointed advisors. I believe there is an effort to sell the club since 2007 and I try very hard to remain patient. It is difficult as it feels like the club is being held hostage at times. Depends on my mood.

The one thing that has concerned me (regarding the selling process) is the potential that they may attempt to start a bidding war for the club. Apparently Chris Ronnie (lucky escape) and Nabeel Chowdery (whose link was more brief) were quoted different prices. There should be a fixed price for the club which remains in place.

and now we have revealed our true self as a united fan have we? kindly give your ticket to a fan of THIS club if you will. I understand that the football is dire, but at the moment it is simply needs must. The football u wish us to play was done under P*** I*** and look where that got us! Moron. I wasn't a member of this site under Hughes, but what did you think of the footy we played then? Cos it was damned similar to Big Sam's footy!

As i said, be a fan or ###### ORF. deal?

You're a pretty ignorant ignorant sort of person really. I don't think there is much doubt that waggy is a true Rover.

The one thing that has concerned me (regarding the selling process) is the potential that they may attempt to start a bidding war for the club. Apparently Chris Ronnie (lucky escape) and Nabeel Chowdery (whose link was more brief) were quoted different prices. There should be a fixed price for the club which remains in place.

Very good Vinjay. Nice to have a man back on who knows much much more about the relevent issues regarding takeover requirements than the combined forces of Rothschilds and the administrators of the Walker trust.

I think worrying about style is overdone. West Brom have played some very attractive football this season but I wouldn't want to swap places with them. If our so called unattractive style keeps us up and their 'pure' football takes them then give me our type of football every time.

We played far better football under Roy Hodgson than during the season we won the Championship and while I thoroughly enjoyed Hodgson's first season at the club, the Championship season was better! Under Howard Kendall we played some really boring football but we had two tremendously successful seasons, winning promotion in one and being denied on goal average in the second. It might have been boring but the fans came to watch because we were successful.

If Sam delivers the same success that he had at Bolton I suspect that the club will be more than happy and if he can sign the same quality of players that he did at Bolton I, for one, will be highly delighted.

Football is about winning. If Sam provided a team that played wonderful one touch football but lost every game the crowd would soon forget about the style of football and would call for his head based on results.

I'm a fan of Allardyce, I think he gives the club a bit of gravitas with the press first and foremost.

I'd be happy if we stay up this season, Sam unearths a couple of creative misfits (Okocha/djorkaeff) type signings. He seems to have good contacts who can bring these types of players. Exactly what we're needing and, what we've needed under Hughes. I think when fully fit, we're a couple of decent players short of a good side. :rover::rover::rover:

More food for thought on the refereeing decisions.

Jeff Winter - 2-0 to rovers.

That's an interesting site, Den. Good to see an ex ref taking an "independent" look at supposedly incorrect decisions.

Did you have a look at his revised league positions? It has Rovers third from the bottom, suggesting that we have been the beneficiary of some supposed incorrect decisions.

Guest Vinjay606

Well at least I'm discussing the issue which is more than most fans over the past couple of months.

I had to search for the takeover thread (back down on page 2 after I brought it back up) when it should be made a sticky topic at the very top of the page.

I only mentioned the takeover in this thread as a response to the Lancashire Utd rubbish.

• Backroom
That's an interesting site, Den. Good to see an ex ref taking an "independent" look at supposedly incorrect decisions.

Did you have a look at his revised league positions? It has Rovers third from the bottom, suggesting that we have been the beneficiary of some supposed incorrect decisions.

Seems quite cheeky by Winter to me... maybe people should go back and highlight his many mistakes and predict the scores should he not have cocked up.

I've just been through all his weeks and his table is a load of rubbish.

According to his revised league scores we would be on the same points, but that would include him awarding newcastle and west ham a penalty, which they automatically score.

Take your point DE4life, but it's only a blog type thing that's provoking discussion.

I suppose by doing it, he's admitting that refs do (and have made) make mistakes that cost clubs dearly. At least he's quantifying the errors, which is something no one else has done.

It's only his opinion, modes. I suppose that if all the refs that did games did what he is doing we'd get 10 different versions, wouldn't we?

Anybody see that clown Walton in the Chelsea v Bolton thread? Despite universal criticism he's not learned anything from last weeks penalty against Givet. He awarded Chelsea an even worse one as the ball hit the players upper arm whilst he was obviously trying to tuck the rest of his arm behind his back. The result was 2 free points for Chelsea............ Prob won't make any difference BUT that decision could yet decide the destiny of the Premiership. When is he going to be sorted?

• Backroom

Sorry to bump this thread but did anyone ever find out what happened to the person taken ill after the spurs game? Looked bad at the time.

Archived