BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tropical Fish

anyone have fish? Ive had mine for nearly 12 months now and have guppies various platties etc.but the water keeps greenish not overly bad but enough to look unsightly.Ive done regurly partial changes including filters etc ,but it wont go away.could it be the lights on to much ?ive checked varios googled sites and they are all contradictory.

Hey, I am no expert at the moment but I've just started a career researching the fish immune system!

I'm guessing that it's probably the lighting, so you could keep the tank lit for 4-6 hours a day if it is being lit for more already. Another cause could be excess food in the tank?

If its neither then you can buy fish that should eat it (although didn't really work for me) or get those cleaning pads with magnets on from shop.

cheers,ive a magnet and a plecky.the glass is ok its just the water.What do you reckon is best way then a complete water gravel ornament change ,less food and less light then? The micky mouse platties and guppies are breeding for fun and the water tests are always ok as well.

Platties and Guppies always breed - we had over 60 of our own fish until a disease struck.

NOT a full water change at once. We tend to do 1 weekly water change of around 50-60% - that way the water is always of very good quality. Or you could do smaller water changes, but more regular.

Make sure you change your filters every few weeks or months and yes you need to take out ornaments & wood etc to give them a good scrub.

You shouldnt need to change your gravel. We have had the same stuff in since we got it, but because we clean it weekly with a gravel cleaner it isnt an issue.

There used to be a tropical fish shop on Whaley Range but the best one was Dave's Aquarium at Bolton, it is quite a few years ago when I used to breed fish but I still have a interest.

not sure if its the same one but ive been to the bolton aquatics one,its huge.

Yeah its been renamed, but its still there. They get alot of imports and fish that they shouldnt have.

Weve got clown loaches, 4 different types of tetras, a few different types of catfish and also some aquatic frogs.

I'm in the middle of setting up a new tank for 2 razorback musk turtles. Going for a big Eheim Classic 2215 external filter to deal with filtration. Bit more interesting than fish I though.

Not really, have had terrapins a type of fish that turned into a lizard when the water dried out marine fish and coldwater fish, but I still prefer a tropical aquarium with good lighting and well planted with just a few well suited fish it's very relaxing to look at .

Archived