BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Race For The Premiership

It seems to be a league nobody wants to win, with the front runners dropping points all over the place.

............................................PLD PTS

1 Wolverhampton Wanderers. 40 77

2 Birmingham City ............... 40 72

3 Reading.............................39 68

4 Sheffield United...................39 66

5 Burnley..............................40 65

6 Cardiff City........................38 63

7 Preston North End.............. 40 61

8 Swansea City.................... 40 58

9 Bristol City........................ 40 58

Full table here

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The standard doesn't seem great. I'd like to see Swansea get promoted because of their style. PNE coming up would be interesting. They wouldn't have a hope of staying up, I'd wager, but Alan Irvine seems to be the new David Moyes and it would be interesting to see how he goes about turning his bits'n'pieces scrappers into Premier League survivors.. Apart from defender, Mawene, I don't think his squad has a single other foreign player - which must be unique amongst the promotion challengers. However, if he's going to go any further as a manager, he's going to have to dabble in the foreign market.

Id go with Wolves as Champs, Sheff Utd or Bryum as runners up. The loser of that battle to win the play-offs.

I would however prefer it to be Wolves, Sheff Utd (Because they were robbed by West Ham) & Preston

Wolves - should come up as Champs - except for Brum on the 6th, they have a decent run of games.

Birmingham - have a tough run - Lose to Wolves and it could be a uphill battle with Reading on the last day of the season (cracking time for their game) and preston still to come too. Aswell as Plymouth who are still fighting relegation.

Reading - Brum, Sheff Utd & relegation threatened Norwich/ Barnsley/ Blackpool all to play in their last 6. They have had indifferent form of late and too many unexpected defeats or draws.

Sheff Utd - Relegation threatened Barnsley & Forest aswell as Promotion chasing Burnley & Swansea.

Burnley - only Sheff Utd & Cardiff to play out of the top lot and Southampton of the relegation threatened clubs

Cardiff - 2 games in hand on most - Still to play the dingles & Preston. All other ties look winnable.

Preston - Brum, Bristol City, Cardiff and a local derby with Blackpool all to play - looks tough for them.

Swansea have their bitter rivals Cardiff up next which will be the last derby at Ninian Park. Expect some fireworks on and off the pitch. The Jacks play tidy football but have drawn too many games and would need to win 5 out of the final 6 to get a play off place which isn't impossible with their fixtures.

Cardiff could push for an automatic spot with their games in hand but it's a big ask. Their defeat against Sheffield United last week was a big blow.

Wolves are up imo with their points advantage at the top. A couple more wins and it's destination Premiership.

Big club have the most to lose as they are leading the race for the 2nd spot. With Reading, Sheff Utd, Cardiff and the Dingles over their shoulder, any cock up's and they will pay the price.

PNE have they same task as Swansea. Some tough games but there is a chance of a playoff spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Swansea's promotion hopes are all but doomed after a hard fight at Ninian Park for the last time ever.

The most cheapest last minute penalty you could ever see, even worse than the Givet handball. The ref bottled it or had impaired vision after being hit in the head with a coin.

• 1 month later...
Away goals don't count in the playoffs, do they?

No they don't.

I would say this tie is far from over. Whilst they were outplayed last night I would not assume that being at Bramall Lane will necessarily be a big advantage to United. How many times do you see the pressure of expectation of home fans bearing down on a team's performances these days? I think it's happened to Rovers a few times lately. It was certainly present at Deepdale last night and is sure to be a factor on Monday night. I remember North end coming back from a draw at Elland Road in a play-off semi final a few years ago only to be mugged by Leeds in the second leg.

Archived