BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers In Africa

here is a short film i made of rovers fans in gambia, done so that the locals could thank the people of blackburn

Grass roots on sand

You deserve some serious credit for this Wiggy. I saw the Youtube film the other day and noticed there was a piece in yesterday's LT about it. Well done in bringing a smile to people's faces (both in Gambia and back home) and raising the profile of the club in the process.

You deserve some serious credit for this Wiggy. I saw the Youtube film the other day and noticed there was a piece in yesterday's LT about it. Well done in bringing a smile to people's faces (both in Gambia and back home) and raising the profile of the club in the process.

cheers for the compliments, i've been in touch with the club about showing it but not heard anything back yet

Awesome film - well done Wiggy!

Maybe it would improve our Academy youngsters technique if they were to play on pitches such as this instead of being mollycoddled with pristine facilities. It seems that they think that once they have a first team squad number they've made it as a professional.....

Thats brilliant.

Was that the sole purpose of the trip? be interested in hearing your story mate....

no it was a holiday, me and some of my family have been going there for a while, when we leave people always asked us for our football shirts and shorts, last year i got in touch with a friend who works at ewood and managed to get the old kits from the rovers ladies team which i took out and gave to a village football team which we christened brufut rovers, this year i decided to run an appeal in the telegraph for any old shirts, i got around 60 which i took over as charitable goods, i also have a friend who is a dingle fan and he managed to get me 14 burnley shirts so that i could arrange a match. i decided to make a short film so that people would see that the shirts are really appreciated by the locals. my dad has been going out there for longer than i have so he is the one who really started this.

I'm hoping i can get someone at ewood to show the film on a match day on the big screen so fingers crossed.

hopefully next year i can take over more stuff as it's a good way to get some exposure for the club, a lot of tourists must wonder when they see rovers shirts everywhere and i'll bet when they get home they will tell people about what they saw!

i have been re-editing the footage so i will have a slightly different version uploaded soon.

thanks for the interest

Well done Wiggy, that was fantastic. I made a donation to Unicef earlier this year after reading, 'The Long Way Down' by Ewan McGregor & Charlie Boorman. A brilliant book, but heart breaking in parts particularly the chapter on Ethiopia which prompted me to send some money in, specifically asking for it to be used in that country, if possible.

I was talking to a mate of mine from Zimbabwe the other day about donations to all corners of Africa. He indicated that virtually none of it reached those in need. Instead it was usually intercepted by rebels/fighters etc and even when it reached governments in various countries, being corrupt virtually everywhere, it ended up in the pockets of those at the top.

Through work, I deal with sending goods to Africa and know how corrupt government officials/customs etc are with almost no exceptions. A way of ensuring it goes where it should is to hand it out yourself which is what you have done - superb!

Well done Wiggy, that was fantastic. I made a donation to Unicef earlier this year after reading, 'The Long Way Down' by Ewan McGregor & Charlie Boorman. A brilliant book, but heart breaking in parts particularly the chapter on Ethiopia which prompted me to send some money in, specifically asking for it to be used in that country, if possible.

I was talking to a mate of mine from Zimbabwe the other day about donations to all corners of Africa. He indicated that virtually none of it reached those in need. Instead it was usually intercepted by rebels/fighters etc and even when it reached governments in various countries, being corrupt virtually everywhere, it ended up in the pockets of those at the top.

Through work, I deal with sending goods to Africa and know how corrupt government officials/customs etc are with almost no exceptions. A way of ensuring it goes where it should is to hand it out yourself which is what you have done - superb!

I agree, a lot of the containers that are shipped out end up in the wrong hands, what is unbelievable is how wide the divide is from rich to poor, in gambia the lebanese are living in luxury and own most of the hotels and bars. it is nice to make someone smile first hand

Top stuff mate - when do you go again? I showed it my girlfriend and she wants us to do it too.

Get the next appeal in to the club now - get them to promote it at home games and im sure between now and the end of the season and maybe also when the new shirts come out, you would get plenty.

Maybe ask the club if they would consider a small discount to those who trade in their old shirts when buying the new one??

Top stuff mate - when do you go again? I showed it my girlfriend and she wants us to do it too.

Get the next appeal in to the club now - get them to promote it at home games and im sure between now and the end of the season and maybe also when the new shirts come out, you would get plenty.

Maybe ask the club if they would consider a small discount to those who trade in their old shirts when buying the new one??

thanks! just in case your interested, i have updated the video, i have added a few bits and moved some of the footage around!

Great work, Wiggy!

I think the club and supporters could do the same for other communities in Africa.

Maybe get players involved as well. After all, we have 2 south african players.

And why not aim for a higher impact?

Ever heard of the Ryan's Well Foundation? It was started by a 6 year old kid in 1998 and has had a huge impact all over the world.

Maybe Rovers could do a similar project around the world...

I'll help as much as I can.

Archived