SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Dunn

47er

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ref Tomorrow:

Mike Dean, The Wirral. 2008-2009 Record: Games: 44, Yellow Cards: 156 Red Cards: 12

He likes to dish out the cards does Mike...

Its the 'kicking lumps' comment that they are all focusing on. If he had said we will be physical, combative, close them down quickly and don't give them too much time on the ball then it would have been fine.

i believe dunn's 'kicking lumps' comment was tongue in cheek... the media are bound to jump on it and make more of it.

on the positive side... i believe these comments show rovers will be fired up for the game and the season :

"Unfortunately we don't have the same resources. But what we do have is an even level on that pitch and as soon as the lads cross the white line the money doesn't really matter. It's about how much you want it."

i believe dunn's 'kicking lumps' comment was tongue in cheek... the media are bound to jump on it and make more of it.

on the positive side... i believe these comments show rovers will be fired up for the game and the season :

"Unfortunately we don't have the same resources. But what we do have is an even level on that pitch and as soon as the lads cross the white line the money doesn't really matter. It's about how much you want it."

Then hacks, owt for a story.

The Ref Tomorrow:

Mike Dean, The Wirral. 2008-2009 Record: Games: 44, Yellow Cards: 156 Red Cards: 12

He likes to dish out the cards does Mike...

I've heard he's just going to paint his right hand palm red in the morning, he's expecting to give so many reds.

Maybe were using surprise tactics.

Citeh are expecting us to try and rough it up and bully them to stop them playing football, meanwhile while they are focusing on that and complaining to the ref about challenges that are perfectly fair, we 'Brazil 1970' them out of the park with our tremendous pass and move football. ;)

Simples

In all honesty though in the media and referee's eyes we've always had a bad reputation, a few words from Dunny isn't going to make it any worse. Besides Dunny isn't even going to be playing, it's Samba they need to worry about, if he's fit he's going to destroy them all, one by one simply because he can and because they are Citeh and thoroughly deserve it. What's the ref going to do, he'd be too scared of Samba to stop him.

• 3 weeks later...
Nice to see Dunny get through 90 minutes for the first time in 18 months.

Is that stat right?!? Crikey.

If he gets injured again (which he almost certainly will) we are in trouble. There is no one else who can create from the centre.

The logical extension of that is that we will go back to hoofing it as we will have little other choice.

Ricky I just pored over the records and the last time Dunny played a full 90 minutes for us was a 1-1- draw at Villa Park on Jan 26 2008.He played in 23 more league games (out of 50 possible) without the full 90 until Saturday.I didn't realise it had been that long for him.In fact he has only played 12 full 90min games since his return Feb 3 2007 vs Sheff Utd 90 games ago.12 out of 90.If that ratio holds, it means he will feature 90 minute 5 times this year.Hope he starts a new trend!

Tried to move this post from the transfer thread to proper one.

• Backroom

A lot now depends on Dunn staying fit for the season it would seem now.

I think ideally I'd have him playing in midfield with Brett but I imagine it will be in a midfield 5 with Grella thrown in there as well

Dunn was played in his ideal position at the weekend - just off the striker (preferably plural) with freedom to create and roam. Sadly he doesn't have the legs to play in a central midfield pairing anymore. Hopefully we can keep him fit enough to play 70-90 minutes every week - the team would certainly benefit from it as the guy has a certain pedigree about him nobody else in the team has.

• 2 weeks later...

Now all we need is Dunn to stay fit and in form, and replace Roberts with a forward who can score goals!

Interesting that Sam says we have 4 good strikers. (Roberts, McCarthy, Di Santo, Kalinic, Hoillet). So either:

Roberts is automatically first choice and the other 4 strikers are competing for the other spot.

Hoilett is not considered a striker.

One of those 5 is not considered 'good' by Sam.

?

Dunn has started his season very well. Does anyone else have a feeling he will limp out in next match?

He's started so well in his support striker role that I've a feeling that opposing teams will target Dunny for some over physical treatment. If he does get crocked we have no real replacement (I've not seen enough of Hoillett to know where he plays best) and the whole 4-4-1-1 system could collapse. If I were SA I'd give Dunny an extra day off a week and have em playing lots of 4-4-2 stuff without him in training that day.

Now all we need is Dunn to stay fit and in form, and replace Roberts with a forward who can score goals!

Interesting that Sam says we have 4 good strikers. (Roberts, McCarthy, Di Santo, Kalinic, Hoillet). So either:

Roberts is automatically first choice and the other 4 strikers are competing for the other spot.

Hoilett is not considered a striker.

One of those 5 is not considered 'good' by Sam.

?

Hoillet's not considered a striker.

If only more managers would persevere with this formation.

Are we emerging from the bleak dark ages when Eyal Berkovic was considered a "luxury" because the manager didn't have the brains to rearrange his formation to accommodate genius?

Thought Dunn was excellent yesterday however the last 15 mins he looked knackard and probably should have been taken off. Obviously he is making good progress again and is showing some form which we all know when he is top of his game can only be a good thing for the club.

However I have one criticisam everytime he gets into a decent position in the box he seems to try and play for the penalty and this is very frustrating because he is a strong player.

Thought Dunn was excellent yesterday however the last 15 mins he looked knackard and probably should have been taken off. Obviously he is making good progress again and is showing some form which we all know when he is top of his game can only be a good thing for the club.

From a psychological point of view, it may have paid to give him the full 90+ mins. Not sure if Sam was thinking that deeply, though.

Archived