Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Dunn

47er

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Man of the match.

Agreed. So I have to say this very quietly, but how much does our system rely on David Dunn? Whats plan B when the inevitable happens? Happy he is perfoming so well, chuffed with the amount of games he is getting through, worried what happens if he gets injured.

Holliet?

Agreed. So I have to say this very quietly, but how much does our system rely on David Dunn? Whats plan B when the inevitable happens? Happy he is perfoming so well, chuffed with the amount of games he is getting through, worried what happens if he gets injured.

Holliet?

2 strikers? Emerton playing in centre mid? Who knows? It wasn't what allardyce intended to do all along by all accounts, but while it's working enjoy it. Dunn looks 5 years younger this season and long may it continue.

Holliet?

Yes, I think Hoilett will do it. He is a creative as well as fast player so will fit that role well. You could possibly stick Diouf in there but he is more comfortable on the wing. And Van Heerden is the someone who can play second striker although I am not sure he has the quality.

Best player I agree - but feel frustrated sometimes when we have a quick break and he just doesn't have the pace. Often wonder if a second striker - or somebody like Hoilett would be more effective at times. The problem - is then how to accomodate Dunn in a four man midfield. Though I doubt Sam would do it, a 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 formation would be ideal for Dunn with him just behind the front two - but with three more defensive midfield players behind him.

Best player I agree - but feel frustrated sometimes when we have a quick break and he just doesn't have the pace. Often wonder if a second striker - or somebody like Hoilett would be more effective at times. The problem - is then how to accomodate Dunn in a four man midfield. Though I doubt Sam would do it, a 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 formation would be ideal for Dunn with him just behind the front two - but with three more defensive midfield players behind him.

But then the side would potentially lack width.

I cannot believe the absolute nonsense written on this thread.

Has the new format turned some folks' brains to porridge?

Dunn is at the moment 50% of the Rovers team if you look at the work rate and threat he poses to the opposition. If we were willing to look at £5m for Kevin Davies then it is easy to see how somebody like Steve Bruce could see a towards the end of contract £2m offer for David Dunn might be worth a cheeky go.

I have no idea if there have been any ructions in the last few days but two weeks ago Dunn was the happiest guy around- playing a role he loves, elated to be back to fitness and playing relatively free from pain and without restrictions and effectively having the team built around him. He is a long time admirer of Sam and of course in his heart, he is a passionate Rover.

Dunny looks strong, quicker than he has been in years, and very very comfortable in his new position.

He's back.

Early days yet but whatever I'll bet the management and the physio / coaching / fitness regimes implemented recently will get no credit in certain quarters will they?

QUOTE (John @ Sep 13 2009, 00:31 ) "We have found David [Dunn] a position that is going to cause the other strikers at our club a lot of concern. We have four good strikers, but Dunny is taking up a Steven Gerrard type of role and he has blossomed into one hell of a creative player and goalscorer. He is opening up defences and is the type of player who can create opportunities for you."

If only more managers would persevere with this formation.

Are we emerging from the bleak dark ages when Eyal Berkovic was considered a "luxury" because the manager didn't have the brains to rearrange his formation to accommodate genius?

It's working now but the problem is, word will soon get round among Prem coaches / managers that if you stop Dunn, you stop Rovers.

Pretty soon teams are going to man-mark Dunn.

Alardyce needs to have a plan B and C for when that happens.

It's working now but the problem is, word will soon get round among Prem coaches / managers that if you stop Dunn, you stop Rovers.

Di santo and Hoilett possibly.

Sell him for £2m+. He is too injury prone, and Judge would be a better squad player in time I'm sure. Cheaper wages too. Then we can search for a real midfielder. I wonder if we can do a 'buy one, get one free' deal and give them Steven Reid.

<!--quoteo(post=743692:date=Mar 31 2009, 10:27 :name=Billy Castell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Billy Castell @ Mar 31 2009, 10:27 ) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=743692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sell him for £2m+. He is too injury prone, and Judge would be a better squad player in time I'm sure. Cheaper wages too. Then we can search for a real midfielder. I wonder if we can do a 'buy one, get one free' deal and give them Steven Reid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Who on earth would pay 2 million for Dunn?

I seem to recall the LET reporting that both Dunny and Reid where both back in pre season training 5 weeks before the rest of the squad.

Lot of good that did for either of them.

Neither seems able to stay injury free, one injury clears up and another one starts.

Get shut for whatever we can get, I'm sorry to say.

We need players to perform at 100% for as many games as possible,

sell him in a heartbeat for 2m, take 1m if they took reid and vogel as well.............lot of money for not a lot of games

Anybody want to have a change of heart yet?

Absolutely right. That's why I would look to introduce Hoilett to the first team. He is completely different from our other players, fast and direct, and would cause real problems if given space. He also strikes me as a serious goal threat. Plus Diouf seems much more comfortable on the left.

Pedersen should now be dropped. Had some okay to good games but isn't offering enough consistently for me. The way i would line up is like this:

----------------Di Santo

--Diouf-----------Dunn---------Hoilett

------------NZonzi----Emerton

Chimbonda----Givet----Samba----Jacobsen

----------------Robinson

Subs: Bunn, Nelsen, Reid, Grella, McCarthy, Kalinic, Pedersen.

A nice mixture of pace and creativity there. I would say that is a very good team personally that most sides in the prem would struggle to deal with. The front four all offer a different type of threat. NZonzi and Emerton will work all day long to protect a very solid back four. Emerton would also be able to pick up the ball and drive forward which is very useful.

Interesting issue is the captain. Robinson seems to be the current incumbrant with Nelsen losing his regular place. However there would be a strong argument to give it to Dunn.

He was the captain in all but name on Saturday and he lead from the front.

It is nice that in Robinson, Emerton, Givet, Nelsen and Dunn we have a number of natural leaders.

Sam said that 2 weeks ago - yet teams still havent stopped Dunn. Villa tried but they couldnt, all they could do was foul him time and time again.

Hoilett should be another outlet with Di Santo doing the business up top.

Im actually happy with 4-4-1-1 if its Dunn & Di Santo up top - they seemed to work very well together.

Did anyone else see Dunn's funny antics on the pitch on Saturday ?

Whilst play was up the other end, he picked up a crisp packet on the pitch, looked inside it and after finding out that there were no crips left in it ( or he did not like the flavour ! )threw the empty packet down again and ran off up the pitch.

Ps please can we ensure that there are enough variety of crisp packets thrown onto the pitch just in case our mecurial playmaker is feeling peckish !

Whilst play was up the other end, he picked up a crisp packet on the pitch, looked inside it and after finding out that there were no crips left in it ( or he did not like the flavour ! )threw the empty packet down again and ran off up the pitch.

Ps please can we ensure that there are enough variety of crisp packets thrown onto the pitch just in case our mecurial playmaker is feeling peckish !

Ha seriously?!

My lad saw him, I missed it.

He's turning into our very own version of Gazza.

Archived