BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Allotments

You could try finding someone to share with. A full size allotment can take a lot of work at certain times and there may be people who would enjoy / like a share. I don't know what age you are but an older person might appreciate help from someone younger, or if you are older a young person might benefit from your knowledge? Why not try popping down to the local allotments and ask around. We used to share our allotment with another family and it was the most productive years we had.

I know round our way most allotment groups are letting new tenants on half plots to try and reduce the waiting lists. As Paul says it's a great way to get going if you've not had one before as allotments are a lot more work than you think. I don't know of any private sites but if you're near any farmland try asking if you can rent some ground.

You could try finding someone to share with. A full size allotment can take a lot of work at certain times and there may be people who would enjoy / like a share. I don't know what age you are but an older person might appreciate help from someone younger, or if you are older a young person might benefit from your knowledge? Why not try popping down to the local allotments and ask around. We used to share our allotment with another family and it was the most productive years we had.

Cheers. Im 24 so i could offer some help to older allotment holders.

i'll be making a few trips to the local allotments then!!

That's excellent that your interested. I think we got our allotment when I was about 26 / 27. There is a great deal to be learnt plus some hard work at certain times. So I would suggest you would be an ideal person to team up with someone older. You'll be able to gain from their knowledge and experience and repay that with some of the physically harder work. I'm 55 and we are turning about two thirds of our allotment over to fruit and more permanent crops like asparagus. Two reasons for this; as we get older we will be less inclined / able to dig plus the children have left home so our vegetable needs are changing.

Enjoy

Don't people have back gardens anymore?

You couldnt swing a cat in a modern day back garden, not much bigger than a terraced street back yard.

Not to mention that the quality of top soil is about 50mm thick laid over builders waste due to land fill charges.

SAR has a point as well, you must have somewhere for the obligatory decking and water feature. :rolleyes:

Archived