BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shearer Next Newcastle Manager

I'm starting to think that someone has been quite clever with this Shearer appointment. If he keeps them up the morale next season will be sky high and Ashley will be the second most popular man on Tyneside, if he takes them down they'll be able to put the Shearer thing to bed and get on with running the club.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF ? come on he needs a bloody miracle, he needs to PROVE that he walks on The Tyne and he needs his playing staff to do something they havent done all season and that is put a run of games together where they can accumulate points.

Shearer has 21 points to play for. Two huge games away, at Liverpool and then the season ending at Villa.

They have to play spuds and stoke both away and both very very hard games.

Then they have the biggest Tyne/Tees derby match EVER, the loser of which will take the drop IMO.

The games at home to Pompy and Fulham represent the best chance for 6 points.

They are already 5 points adrift of The Rovers which is going to mean they will have to overturn that deficit and then do some more points wise.

I'd say Big Al has a lot more on his plate than he ever imagined.

I'm starting to think that someone has been quite clever with this Shearer appointment. If he keeps them up the morale next season will be sky high and Ashley will be the second most popular man on Tyneside, if he takes them down they'll be able to put the Shearer thing to bed and get on with running the club.

yeah at least Ashley will come out of it better either way

Even a draw would've given everyone at Newcastle a lift, and from what I heard of the game (the first half) Newcastle certainly seemed a lot more up for it than usual. Hopefully that loss will crush the optimism of the Shearer factor.

Stoke to me is their make or break game. A win could well kick start a revival, especially given Sunderland's downward spiral, but a loss and 5 points with 6 games to make up will be extremely difficult to say the least.

Normally I'd want draw between our relegation rivals but now I think it is massively important for us that Stoke beat Newcastle next week. Keep Newcastle on 29 points and would likely allow Stoke to relax against us. Alternatively a Newcastle win would make our match v Stoke absolutely hair raising.

Normally I'd want draw between our relegation rivals but now I think it is massively important for us that Stoke beat Newcastle next week. Keep Newcastle on 29 points and would likely allow Stoke to relax against us. Alternatively a Newcastle win would make our match v Stoke absolutely hair raising.

Agreed Gordon. Anything other than a Newcastle win next weekend would be fine for us. We'll beat Stoke at their place.

Even a draw would've given everyone at Newcastle a lift, and from what I heard of the game (the first half) Newcastle certainly seemed a lot more up for it than usual. Hopefully that loss will crush the optimism of the Shearer factor.

Stoke to me is their make or break game. A win could well kick start a revival, especially given Sunderland's downward spiral, but a loss and 5 points with 6 games to make up will be extremely difficult to say the least.

Stoke is probably the last place you want to be going when all that you have on your side is the fans' enthusiasm.

Newcastle have some very dangerous players going forwards but it is going to take a massive training job by Shearer and Dowie to turn that defence and midfield into a unit that can withstand the Stoke howitzers in the Britannia Stadium.

I simply can't see Newcastle getting anything at Stoke. They are a dreadful team and they'll be knocked for six by a Stoke side who will really have the bit between their teeth. Stoke are committed, have a great team spirit and a crowd lacking in negativity The Toon can only dream of such luxuries.

• Backroom

I think I'm possibly a bit paranoid but I think if Newcastle stay up at our expense the MOTD crew wont be able to hide their joy.

Guest Vinjay606

Surprised Shearer hasn't claimed Ferguson will retire when the season's over and Man United are offering him their manager's job. Newcastle fans would probably be deluded enough to believe him. Would be a lie on the same scale as his claim that Newcastle were his first choice in 1996.

I doubt Shearer will make any difference whatsoever certainly not to a greater extent than the caretaker manager had. The Newcastle v Chelsea game went almost exactly as I thought it would.

For the record Shearer wasn't my first choice for manager (Ten Cate followed by Laudrup) in the summer. Not my last choice either but I don't feel any disappointment after he rejected even following the Ince regime.

Shearer is in a win win situation with his status there and I wouldn't be surprised if he took the job in the summer. Regardless of the league they are in.

Masterstroke by Shearer yesterday bringing Carroll back into the frame. He's a Geordie lad and a real handfull. I rem he gave Samba and Nelsen a real tousling in the air against us. If they go down and we survive we could do worse than take a loing look at him imo.

• Backroom

Carroll looks like a decent player, why Shearer started Ameobi I have no idea... he's beyond awful. Also, the 3-5-2 Newcastle played in the first half got them destroyed, bad tactics.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Vinjay606

Long term project would be accurate. He could probably manage them for the next 30 years if he wanted. Newcastle fans would never call for him to be sacked no matter what.

• 2 weeks later...

Some scary numbers in that PhillipL. The article is perceptive but has missed a key point in my opinion. It's THE FANS role. The short sighted nature of their fans has:

1. Consistently undermined ALL the owners since Uncle John left.

On Uncle John. He took his cut though in effectively extracting funds for other projects and replacing the clubs equity with debt. The rot actually started then. But hey he seemed like a nice Geordie and told the fans they were great so thats fine.

On Fat Freddie and Douglas. More of the above commercially but with less common sense and no publicity acumen. Plus an unerring knack of caling the people Uncle John got onside. Thats unforgivable. Hounded!

On Mike Ashley. He actually has put more into the club than the others. The clubs best bet in the foreseable future. The club could have been on a sound financial footing under him but he's not from the Toon so. Thats unforgivable. Hounded out but couldn't formalise his escape.

2. Consistently undermined all the decent Managers (I doubt if I can remember them all.)

Gullet - Not from Toon and dropped Shearer (Good lord you can't do that) Hounded!

Souness - Too hard for the club and the fans to criticise - had to go (Thanks for the compensation anyway guys)

Keegan - Limited ability but whoa - he played here and Scunthorpe's a suburb of the 'Nation' so he's great. Thought the fans power could overturn the Board deluded soul. Still I suppose we all learn the hard way!

Robson - best manager by miles and one of their own but whoa! 100 years old and health problems. Probably would have passed away in post but playing poor football - Criticised and removed.

Allardyce - err. Second best manager. Given time and no interference from Wisey he and Ashley would have really took the club to trophy's and sound financial footing. Awe but he's not one of them and he plays long ball (not as much as perceived actually) so: hounded out! (Reading this Waggy!)

Hughton - Oh please! Clever enough to know he wasn't going to be hounded out so wouldn't take the job. The penny had dropped with him - 'I'm not Toon.'

Kinnear - 'I've waited years for this.' And then developed Tourets or something. F%$£, F*&^$, F*&^%, - right word, wrong topic. Anyone else thought a manager with a dodgy ticker might be a death sentence here? Hounded out before he started.

So Battered and Bruised by the FANS Ashley turned to the only man who could satisfy the fans. No experience, unfinished coaching qualifications, but TOON. Enter big AL and MONOFOREHEAD. They should go down. The deluded fans deserve no better. It's their fault - the 'out' ball was Ashley and Allardyce - the AA, but they wouldn't have it - they were not TOON.

Anyone who signed the Allardyce Facebook thread should look at this and hang their heads. We've stuck by managers when we could have gone TOON but we're clever than that - see Souness, Hughes, and latterly Allardyce (when it came to the crunch), and our reward is to watch bigger wealthier clubs fall by the wayside (Look at Leeds! Toon?)

The article writer missed the point: IT WAS THE FANS STUPID!

• Backroom

The article kind of annoys me as it buys into this whole 'brilliant fans and what the club represents' thing.

It seems a Scouse and geordie thing that they believe their club deserves to be somehwere and are inherintly better than everyone else.

Newcastle’s biggest problem over the past 20 odd years is the fans. They have aggrandised themselves up into believing they are a top club whom everyone envies and who have a god-given right to be challenging for trophies. This is a complete fallacy.

The fans are to blame for their current predicament- it is they who have hounded out both owners/managers alike. They have a comparable arrogance to the plastics at both Man U & Liverpool- without the success.

It is for these reasons I despise the Newcastle more than any club currently playing in premiership & in the famous words of one Geordie ‘messiah’; I would love, yes I would love it if they went down.

Archived