BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shearer Next Newcastle Manager

Guest Vinjay606
Some scary numbers in that PhillipL. The article is perceptive but has missed a key point in my opinion. It's THE FANS role. The short sighted nature of their fans has:

1. Consistently undermined ALL the owners since Uncle John left.

On Uncle John. He took his cut though in effectively extracting funds for other projects and replacing the clubs equity with debt. The rot actually started then. But hey he seemed like a nice Geordie and told the fans they were great so thats fine.

On Fat Freddie and Douglas. More of the above commercially but with less common sense and no publicity acumen. Plus an unerring knack of caling the people Uncle John got onside. Thats unforgivable. Hounded!

On Mike Ashley. He actually has put more into the club than the others. The clubs best bet in the foreseable future. The club could have been on a sound financial footing under him but he's not from the Toon so. Thats unforgivable. Hounded out but couldn't formalise his escape.

2. Consistently undermined all the decent Managers (I doubt if I can remember them all.)

Gullet - Not from Toon and dropped Shearer (Good lord you can't do that) Hounded!

Souness - Too hard for the club and the fans to criticise - had to go (Thanks for the compensation anyway guys)

Keegan - Limited ability but whoa - he played here and Scunthorpe's a suburb of the 'Nation' so he's great. Thought the fans power could overturn the Board deluded soul. Still I suppose we all learn the hard way!

Robson - best manager by miles and one of their own but whoa! 100 years old and health problems. Probably would have passed away in post but playing poor football - Criticised and removed.

Allardyce - err. Second best manager. Given time and no interference from Wisey he and Ashley would have really took the club to trophy's and sound financial footing. Awe but he's not one of them and he plays long ball (not as much as perceived actually) so: hounded out! (Reading this Waggy!)

Hughton - Oh please! Clever enough to know he wasn't going to be hounded out so wouldn't take the job. The penny had dropped with him - 'I'm not Toon.'

Kinnear - 'I've waited years for this.' And then developed Tourets or something. F%$£, F*&^$, F*&^%, - right word, wrong topic. Anyone else thought a manager with a dodgy ticker might be a death sentence here? Hounded out before he started.

So Battered and Bruised by the FANS Ashley turned to the only man who could satisfy the fans. No experience, unfinished coaching qualifications, but TOON. Enter big AL and MONOFOREHEAD. They should go down. The deluded fans deserve no better. It's their fault - the 'out' ball was Ashley and Allardyce - the AA, but they wouldn't have it - they were not TOON.

Anyone who signed the Allardyce Facebook thread should look at this and hang their heads. We've stuck by managers when we could have gone TOON but we're clever than that - see Souness, Hughes, and latterly Allardyce (when it came to the crunch), and our reward is to watch bigger wealthier clubs fall by the wayside (Look at Leeds! Toon?)

The article writer missed the point: IT WAS THE FANS STUPID!

How did you forget the sheer arrogance they had in sacking somebody the stature of Kenny Dalglish?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sir Bobby quite outspoken on the mess at Newcastle. Quite damning on the recruitment side of things.

Nolan lacks mobility in an important area of the pitch, just what Newcastle didn't need!

Peter Lovenkrands was also signed. OK, he didn't cost any money, but that doesn't matter because he simply isn't good enough at Premier League level.

Colloccini would have struggled to get into Newcastle's reserves a few years ago.

Article here: I have watched in disbelief and near horror at some of the things that have gone on at Newcastle in the past year.

Guest Vinjay606
As predicted by many it's looking like John Williams' first choice for the job vacated by Mark Hughes, Shearer, wouldn't have been any good either!

:wacko:

That's why he was top of the polls in the LET then...

That's why he was top of the polls in the LET then...

There was a lot of opposition to him on here.

Got to confess i was sucked in by all the romance at the time and I'd have been one of those over the moon to see him and Newell in.

There was a lot of opposition to him on here.

Got to confess i was sucked in by all the romance at the time and I'd have been one of those over the moon to see him and Newell in.

Despite our problems, I'm sure that walking into Blackburn Rovers in August, with 38 games ahead of him, would have been a damn sight easier than walking into Newcastle, in bottom 3 with 8 difficult fixtures to come, desperate and carrying the weight of expectation from the fans. Listening to some on here, there's enough pressure to make Rovers a great side again but that must be polarised at Newcastle.

Despite our problems, I'm sure that walking into Blackburn Rovers in August, with 38 games ahead of him, would have been a damn sight easier than walking into Newcastle, in bottom 3 with 8 difficult fixtures to come, desperate and carrying the weight of expectation from the fans. Listening to some on here, there's enough pressure to make Rovers a great side again but that must be polarised at Newcastle.

I think Shearer took the Newcastle job on the current basis knowing he was in a no lose situation.

If he kept them up, he'd helped the Club he loved and his legendary status on Tyneside would be enhanced ten fold.

If he didn't, well no-one could really blame him for that, and he could always retreat back to the comfort of the MOTD studios if required.

It will be interesting to see if he takes the job permanently if they go down. If he does, all due respect to him.

If he doesn't, where do the Geordie faithful go from there? They've tried Messiahs one and two Keegan and Shearer and they've both failed.

Oh dear what a shame never mind!

:lol:

We have the best manager we could possibly hope for, Uncle Jack has gone it's clog and a pump from now on, so forget the dreams of Brazilian flowing football and wake up and smell the Brazilian coffee!

I strongly disagree it's not possible to play an attractive style of football without a shedload of cash.

Plenty of teams lower down the Leagues with far less resources than us seem to manage it.

It will be interesting to see if he takes the job permanently if they go down. If he does, all due respect to him.

If he doesn't, where do the Geordie faithful go from there? They've tried Messiahs one and two Keegan and Shearer and they've both failed.

Oh dear what a shame never mind!

:lol:

Very much doubt it. I think when he first took the job he told Gary Linekar on MOTD not to give his seat on the couch away - or words to that effect.

Shearer has NO managerial experience. What makes you think he'd be better than Ince, who actually achieved something in the lower leagues and still floundered?

Some folk don't miss a trick! But you have missed the point, Topman. The discussion was around Shearer's task at Newcastle. I was making the point that it would have been easier for him to succeed at Rovers at the beginning of the season than at Newcastle at this point in the season.

Guest Vinjay606
Why would Ten Cate manage a club with no money?

Well he applied in the summer.

The more accurate phrase under current circumstances is no decent funding made available.

Very puzzling. Shearer has always been extremely cautious in eveything he has done to ensure his image is not tarnished. He didn't take the Rovers job just in case, he didn't take the Newcastle job first time round as he was riding high as a safe and accomplished pundit. It must have been a rush of blood to the head or a sense of absolute devotion that caused him to take a no hope position,and end up with a record worse than Ince if thats possible. It will be interesting to see if he stays next season or retire to the couch with a few bruises and a bitter taste in his mouth.

I strongly disagree it's not possible to play an attractive style of football without a shedload of cash.

Plenty of teams lower down the Leagues with far less resources than us seem to manage it.

If that doesn't beg the question, then I don't know what does :rolleyes:

Guest Vinjay606

More like Shearer saw it as a chance to increase his god like status up there. He cares about that more than saving Newcastle.

Shearer has already lied to Newcastle fans about them being his first choice in 1996. He would jump at any opportunity to be hailed as their savior. He took it knowing he wouldn't be blamed if he failed but he would get a great deal of personal gratification if he was successful. That's the real reason he took the role at this stage. Ego.

As you say lower down the Leagues, I want us to play in the top League and with the type of players we have it may not be as attractive as you would like but I have faith in Big Sam getting the best out of them.

As you say lower down the Leagues, I want us to play in the top League and with the type of players we have it may not be as attractive as you would like but I have faith in Big Sam getting the best out of them.

I could live with outrageously successful "ugly" football and 1-0 wins every week quite easily.

It's ugly football that doesn't work I have a problem with. We have yet to record back to back wins under Sam and take away the "new manager effect" (eight points from his first four games) and we've only managed sixteen points from the last thirteen games.

If he didn't, well no-one could really blame him for that, and he could always retreat back to the comfort of the MOTD studios if required.

I get the feeling he's gonna stay on though.

There's no way he can take the blame for going down though. That club is an absolute mess.

Archived